siderman

Big Brother caught me

In the mail today (Jan 6) the Maryland Feds gave me a speeding ticket on 95 (69mph-watch out!!) from midnight Dec 10.Say I was in a construction zone posted 55mph. Dont recall any workers out there at midnight.Guess I was a real menace out there to the one other car two miles in front of me! Got pics of me too! :angry: Ok,done, pay the $40 and get on with my life. :)

For some of you younger guys, MD has been notorious for over 30 years. Perhaps longer.

A few years ago I drove back one very early morning from MD keeping it between 110 and 130 mph. (BTW I don't do that anymore) One of those, "Yeah, it was great, I gotta get home" nights.

I came around a tight counterclockwise curve and there was an MD trooper at the apex using laser. I probably passed within 30 feet of the dude. I was at 110 at that instant. I believe I was so close to him, and the angular velocity was so great due to the curve and my speed, that he couldn't get a bead on me before I was gone. I don't remember exactly what I did, I would guess I pulled off at the next exit. And if that was the case, he should have anticipated that. But I never heard about it again. He was outside his car by the side of the road. Holding it up and aiming at traffic. But I doubt I gave him a shot at a sight picture due to the geometry.

• Like 1

MD used to be a hot zone when I would travel between Norfolk, VA and NJ for leave and extended weekends. MD is the only state I have received speeding ticket(s).

MD has always been really bad. Have seen cops on I-95 walk out onto the highway from the median and point at people to get them to pull over. Happened to my mom too. Female officer pulled her and 2 other cars over at the same time. She had walked out into the middle lane. A little crazy if you ask me. Have heard many other stories too.

• Like 1

Hopefully that won't affect your insurance. You have to watch North Carolina too. Mostly a 70 mph zone, but drops to 65 in some areas and thats where the boys hang out. Don't get a DUI in Maryland either. Someone will have to post bail for you. They wont just let you out after your done throwing up on yourself.

It says right on your bill (ticket, I know, but more of a bill) that you will not receive any points. My sister lives in MD (car registered up north) and when I was home for the holidays had a couple of tickets waiting for her up there (as well as my mom too). Yep, all going mid 60's in an apparent posted 55. What a joke. I told her to just mail them a picture of money, as they just mailed her a picture of her car and claim she was speeding. Not to mention the certifying officer's signature wasn't there (a misaligned photocopy that wasn't in the right spot). I kind of wonder how this is even legal???

It says right on your bill (ticket, I know, but more of a bill) that you will not receive any points. My sister lives in MD (car registered up north) and when I was home for the holidays had a couple of tickets waiting for her up there (as well as my mom too). Yep, all going mid 60's in an apparent posted 55. What a joke. I told her to just mail them a picture of money, as they just mailed her a picture of her car and claim she was speeding. Not to mention the certifying officer's signature wasn't there (a misaligned photocopy that wasn't in the right spot). I kind of wonder how this is even legal???

That reminds me of an e-mail joke I recieved years ago. Someone supposedly mailed in a picture of money because they recieved a ticket and a photo of their licence plate in the mail. The cops mailed back a picture of handcuffs.

Can you make out the drivers in these photos? What if you can't tell? Do they still send a ticket to the registered owner of the car?

There is a section that allows you to check off if you were not the driver at the time, if your vehicle was reported stolen at the time, and some other things. Of course, you then have to submit proof that the vehicle was in someone else's possession. It goes to the registered owner yes you are correct.

No pic of me in the photo just the plate and since the car is in wifes name, yea she got the tik,(LOL) actually called a "citation". Having gone back and forth to NC 9 times the past year I got pretty good (lucky?) knowing most of the hot spots down 95. Funny but never felt too alarmed thru MD but VA sucked. And watch out for Emporia VA on the NC state line.EVERY trip both ways somewhere was a speed trap or cars already pulled over. Infamous spot. Thats the only time I used cruise control, set it to the speed limit for about 20 miles. Love NC, never saw a cop and I guess they didnt see me either. And the 69mph they got me at was me going painfuly slow!My son got nabbed twice in VA in one week but being a Marine got off.

Well good thing this was MD and not NJ - They haven't caught on to the speed camera bs yet here....

NJ tried them out in the early 90's and there was a huge outcry because everyone knows NJ is already a ticket mill. If I recall correctly the legislature banned photo radar in NJ because everyone knew how expensive it was going to get to drive if the police used it.

I was supposed to go to Baltimore this week for a trade show but opted not to since last year the wasn't much new to see there. Part of the deciding factor was not wanting to run the gauntlet down 95 in MD and DE.

And can someone explain how Delaware gets away with a $3 toll for driving 12 miles through their state...... seriously, 25 cents a mile! Can you imagine if the turnpike was 25 cents a mile.

For some of you younger guys, MD has been notorious for over 30 years. Perhaps longer.

A few years ago I drove back one very early morning from MD keeping it between 110 and 130 mph. (BTW I don't do that anymore) One of those, "Yeah, it was great, I gotta get home" nights.

I came around a tight counterclockwise curve and there was an MD trooper at the apex using laser. I probably passed within 30 feet of the dude. I was at 110 at that instant. I believe I was so close to him, and the angular velocity was so great due to the curve and my speed, that he couldn't get a bead on me before I was gone. I don't remember exactly what I did, I would guess I pulled off at the next exit. And if that was the case, he should have anticipated that. But I never heard about it again. He was outside his car by the side of the road. Holding it up and aiming at traffic. But I doubt I gave him a shot at a sight picture due to the geometry.

Cool story bro.

• Like 1

Corner of Rt 1&9 and Avenel St. in Avenel has red light cameras for all directions. 80% of the time that I'm at that intersection when the light changes, I see the flash of the camera flash going off once or even twice at times nailing people. Seems to be people pushing the yellow and being caught in the middle when the light cycles to red.

I bet its a huge money maker for them. The system probably paid for itself in a few months.

Dan - yes I go through that intersection all the time. I hate it the most of all the red light cameras in the area. It doesn't have the street crossing signs so there's no countdown and no way to tell when the light will turn yellow/red. I have seen the flashes go off at random times as well, but it's always when the light is red, not yellow.

I've been stopped on Rt 1&9, and watching the people on Avenel st push the yellow to get across. Its always the last car that goes for it... you know that perfect timing when its still yellow, but you are already committed , and flips just as you move across. Those are the ones getting nabbed. I'm sure technically the camera is correct. Realistically, its pretty harsh.

Anyone that knows its there probably doesn't try to push the yellow any longer.

Classic!

I got nailed in Woodbridge on the GSP in 2009, 110 in a 55... Talk about sucky timing, had an a**-clown cut me off on the Driscoll only to go 30mph slower than the group I was with. I finally got around him at the last bridge in Fords, I wound out third, wound out fourth and as I let off the gas and shifted into fifth I entered the long straightaway by the Rt 1 overpass. The trooper was sitting on the right by the entrance with LIDAR. Talk about bad timing I was probably doing 110 for about an 1/8 of a mile... Oh well...

I also had a Smokey and the Bear moment on the PA Turnpike the same year, I made a u-turn on the Valley Forge exit I got off at by accident, there was a wall of tractor trailers coming out of the tolls in front of me and as I made the u-turn around the barrier I saw three cars behind me a trooper turn his lights on. I wound out first, second and third to get in front of the oncoming trailers and pulled over on the shoulder of the on-ramp knowing he was coming for me. He went around the outside of the two lanes of trailers on the on ramp and I watched him drive past me under the trailers... Sat there for a few and just drove off. I did pass some hard looking troopers sitting on the shoulder about ten miles down the road though... You win some and you lose some I guess... :icon_e_biggrin:

I never had a problem in MD, the only out of state ticket I ever got was in Islandton, SC for 28 in a 25... May have been the NY plates on the rent-a-car. Figures they give the Yankee a complimentary hard time.

The photo police robot got us in DC. They could care less about the points or safety or the phase of the moon. No points for driver, just send us your cash. They only look at it as a source of revenue. Kinda like cigarette taxes. They bloviate on the dangers of smoking and impose a tax to curb your habit. When someone asks why not ban cigarettes they say, "we can't afford to loose the revenue". Same thing with the camera cop, if everyone slowed down they'd cry over lost income. It may start as good intentioned public safety but always devolves into creepy revenue streams for the state.

Seriously.....does anybody still drive with respect for other people on the road? Doing 110 in a 55? Playing Smokey and the Bandit with tractor trailers? WTF is this crap. I am by no means the most calm driver on the road, but this kind of crap is just ridiculous. That's what they make race tracks for. Absolutely no reason to put countless people in danger because you like to drive like that. And how can we possibly put out a friendly, responsible image with crap like this?

• Like 2

Seriously.....does anybody still drive with respect for other people on the road? Doing 110 in a 55? Playing Smokey and the Bandit with tractor trailers? WTF is this crap. I am by no means the most calm driver on the road, but this kind of crap is just ridiculous. That's what they make race tracks for. Absolutely no reason to put countless people in danger because you like to drive like that. And how can we possibly put out a friendly, responsible image with crap like this?

I drive in excess of 45,000mi a year and am on the road between 3-5 hours every day; I can tell you at 7:30AM no one is going up the GSP in the left lanes through Woodbridge under 80-85mph so the 55mph thing is sort of bogus. The douchebag that cut me off was about the fifth one aimlessly meandering their way up the parkway that morning to find me and he just got the best of me. I lost my temper and as soon as I was able to I put some distance between us, I simply wasn't paying attention to how fast I did that until it was too late. Again an 1/8th of a mile in either direction and I would have been doing 80 like everyone else.

The PA thing was just to avoid getting sucked through a set of tolls and onto other major highways to make a u-turn somewhere I was unfamiliar with, I didn't cut anyone off as I had plenty of room, I even pulled right over, wasn't my fault he didn't see me and blew past. It was just funny how it happened.

Aside from the dirtball that rear-ended me in bumper to bumper traffic on Rt78 last April and the legally blind asian grandma that decided to merge her SUV into my left rear quarter panel while I was stopped at a red light back in December of ‘09 I haven’t been in an accident since I was 17 (circa ’86)… Considering the 800,000+ miles I have driven since the early ‘90s I’d put my driving record up against just about anyone… Chances are you're most likely one of the amateurs the regular GSP commuters dread driving with when forced to drive the highways on weekends or holidays... You really need to get over your pompous, self-righteous self. :icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1