Sign in to follow this  
notmetoo

New Hope man arrested for weapons

Happened locally. The article doesn't state that he was under the influence, but the open container and the fact that he didn't stay in his lane also leads one to believe he was probably drinking. The fact that he must have had the "weapons" out in the open along with the alcohol was not smart. Even without the alcohol container if he had the "weapons" out in the open it probably would have led to potential trouble.

The fact that Lambertville cops are pretty tough didn't help either.

Are we actually defending this idiot? Driving with an open container and has a knife in the open?

Definitely not defending here. He's was stupid for the knives in the open, not to mention very stupid for the open container. Plus he lives across the river in New hope and should know the cops are especially tough in Lambertville! Trust me you don't drive drunk or do anything stupid like that in this town. They just recently had and undercover operation to bust both jay-walkers and people that don't yield to pedestrians in the cross-walks. Small town with a number of cops that keep busy. This guy was an idiot all around!

Jay walkers?

Do you not know what that is?

Jaywalking

Jaywalking is an informal term commonly used in North America to refer to illegal or reckless pedestrian crossing of a roadway. Examples include a pedestrian crossing between intersections (outside a crosswalk, marked or unmarked) without yielding to drivers and starting to cross a crosswalk at a signalized intersection without waiting for a permissive indication to be displayed. In the United States, state statutes generally reflect the Uniform Vehicle Code in requiring drivers to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks; at other locations, crossing pedestrians are either required to yield to drivers or, under some conditions, are prohibited from crossing.

Or just surprised? Yeah you get tickets/summons/warnings for jaywalking. Apparently my wife got one back in high school.

Lambertville uses undercover cops to catch jaywalkers, drivers who don't stop for pedestrians

There are a significant percentage of drivers who will not stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk. I have to walk a bit to my car at work and I regularly take my life in my hands crossing a particular street. A co-worker was even hit by a driver who then stopped and assaulted him on top of it. Co-worker eventually got the best of the deal even AFTER the cop took a completely inaccurate police report which required calls to the Chief and Detective in charge. :icon_rolleyes:

Years ago I believed cops writing tickets for jay walking were simply generating cash for their towns. Now that I've been driving for 30 some years, and can't count how many idiots have walked out in front of me without even looking, I realize it has to be done. A jay walking ticket, like many other citations, is to protect you from your own stupidity.

I'm certainly not defending this idiot. Drunk driving is drunk driving. Not sure a knife makes it more dangerous, but I'm sure NJ has laws about that.

if he got into an accident the knives would have flown from the vehicle and killed everyone in a 5 mile radius..

all kidding aside the only issue I have at hand is lock him up for driving drunk.. that IS the problem at hand.. did he threaten someone with the knives? did he try to stab the officer? were they used to commit some other crime? probably not.. but there is normal government mentality.. demonize an inanimate object.. if he had a pocket knife.. 3 foot sword.. or butter knife I fail to see the relevance unless he does something with it..