Sign in to follow this  
Wolfy

AZ congresswoman shot

maybe we can fill that seat w/ a Republican??

wtf is wrong with these people??

i can just imagine how the media is gonna spin it as a white, right-wing, religous, gun-toting :icon_e_surprised: conservative is responsible for all this.

our condolenses go out to the family.

Some are reporting she's still alive, like Reuters, and AP, other's are conflicting.

Sad either way. There were other fatalities as well.

after taking one to the coconut, i dont think i'd wanna live.

note to fourm: i do not have any interest in being kept alive by a machine. sum1 trip over the plug, please!

after taking one to the coconut, i dont think i'd wanna live.

note to fourm: i do not have any interest in being kept alive by a machine. sum1 trip over the plug, please!

Not to derail the thread, at the moment there's no news anyway...but have you ever heard the statement "we only use 10% of our brains"? It's one of those often repeated statements that is based on an extremely outdated understanding of how the brain works.

Ever heard this: "Tonight, a man was shot 9 times in the brain, fortunately, it hit the 90% of his brain he doesn't use so he's going to be fine" ?

No, it's usually one shot to the brain matter and you're all done or severely disabled the rest of your life.

There is some space in the brain and the brain can re-learn if there's minimal damage. Sadly that's a very infrequent occurrence. The chances are quite likely that if this Mrs. Giffords did take one to the head, and she's still alive her chances for a recovery are quite limited. One can only hope for the best.

Not to derail the thread, at the moment there's no news anyway...but have you ever heard the statement "we only use 10% of our brains"? It's one of those often repeated statements that is based on an extremely outdated understanding of how the brain works.

Ever heard this: "Tonight, a man was shot 9 times in the brain, fortunately, it hit the 90% of his brain he doesn't use so he's going to be fine" ?

No, it's usually one shot to the brain matter and you're all done or severely disabled the rest of your life.

There is some space in the brain and the brain can re-learn if there's minimal damage. Sadly that's a very infrequent occurrence. The chances are quite likely that if this Mrs. Giffords did take one to the head, and she's still alive her chances for a recovery are quite limited. One can only hope for the best.

Not necessarily..also remember being shot in the head isnt an automatic CNS issue either. I had a kid shot in the head recently I THOUGHT he was a goner when i got on Scene, turns out it wasnt fatal or even very debilatating. Time will tell one way or the other. Best wishes for a Speedy recovery for her.

When they say we only use 10% of our brains it means we only utilize only 10% at once.

A PET scan of people doing very complex tasks will show neurons firing up all different parts of the brain, there is no hard limit. The only time any part of your brain doesn't get used is when it's been damaged by trauma or disease. Any part of your brain that isn't used atrophies.

This myth persists because it's repeated in the media. "If you only use 10% of your brain, can you imagine if you used 50% or more?". It's also used to explain psychic powers and other nonsense that fits the myth teller's agenda.

Chk this out , specifically pay attention to tea party statement (it's also phrased really weird) >>> http://mobile2.wsj.com/device/article.php?mid=1&CALL_URL=http://www.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704030704576070010694650214.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

So I'm guessing they already know who did it and trying to do damage control ?

Chk this out , specifically pay attention to tea party statement (it's also phrased really weird) >>> http://mobile2.wsj.com/device/article.php?mid=1&CALL_URL=http://www.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704030704576070010694650214.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

So I'm guessing they already know who did it and trying to do damage control ?

No idea what quote you're talking about.

Giffords ticked off a bunch of Lefties by not supporting Pelosi and her spend the country into oblivion agenga, so perhaps one of them was pissed off about it. Like this guy.