Matt

"Wild west" rifles

I have always had an interest in "wild west" weaponry but have never bought anything from that era (not antique I just mean a recreation). If you were going to buy only one late 1800s era weapon (modern version) that most closely resembles the rifles of that time period what would it be and what caliber would you get it in? Henry? Winchester? info appreciated.

I have always had an interest in "wild west" weaponry but have never bought anything from that era (not antique I just mean a recreation). If you were going to buy only one late 1800s era weapon (modern version) that most closely resembles the rifles of that time period what would it be and what caliber would you get it in? Henry? Winchester? info appreciated.

Marlin 1894 and 1895 are great guns. I like that they are fed on the receiver and have side eject (in case you want a scope). The Henry looks nice and is US Made, but is chock full of MIM parts. Some folks are OK with that though.

I bought a Savage M99 off the board here and couldn't be happier at fulfilling my lever action wants. I wouldn't hesitate at getting a Henry Big Boy, and I still may one of these days.

Good lever actions (Marlin's, Winchester's (pre & post '64's) & Savage's) aren't cheap anymore. Savage 1899's are pretty cool. They take the tubular-fed lever action to the next ballistic level. And who could forget Charles Bonson carrying his '99 in the movie Death Hunt?

DeathHunt.jpg

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357. This is the angle eject model. Its a great , reliable rifle and fun to shoot. Also you can keep your expenses down by shooting 38 specials. If you reload, you can make light target loads using 357 cases. Of course after that you have to get a six gun and then a double barrel coach gun. Then you are all set..

Good lever actions (Marlin's, Winchester's (pre & post '64's) & Savage's) aren't cheap anymore. Savage 1899's are pretty cool. They take the tubular-fed lever action to the next ballistic level. And who could forget Charles Bonson carrying his '99 in the movie Death Hunt?

DeathHunt.jpg

Yeah, mine has those features plus an indicator pin that pops up when it's cocked, similar to the pin on my XD. A nicety when there's no hammer to see.

how about a repro rolling block in 45 70

like this. i call it the Quigley down under gun

S.874.jpg

Come on Ted, Quigley didn't use a rolling block, he used an 1874 Sharps, more like this...

ublongrangesharps.jpg

Although, if I remember correctly his had a patch box in the butt and a full octagon barrel.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Eventually I would like to get a Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy" .44 Just because I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, and seeing it in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" Always thought it was cool...

That was the 1860 model. Way cool though. I might get one in 44.40!

I've heard good things about Marlins, but also been told to stay away from recently made ones due to poor fitting parts.

Puma or Hartford, is handling the Winchester 1892 clones through EMF Firearms (http://www.emf-company.com/), but Chiappa has a take down Model 1892 clone. Typical calibers are .38spl/.357mag and .45colt. .44special/.44mag is out there, but not as prevalent.

I have a Puma 1892 .38spl/.357mag I use every now and then to air out the barrel. It's a good rifle, but is picky on .38spl ammo. Some of it is too fat to fit through the guide rails!

Uberti (imported by Taylors Firearms in Virgina, and Cimmaron Firearms in TX [sTAY AWAY FROM ANY OTHER MAKER]) makes the clones of the 1860, 1866, 1873, and 1876. All come in calibers such as .38spl/.357, .44special, .44-40, and .45colt (the 1876 comes in obscure calibers and getting raw materials to roll your own can be difficult). They're nice guns, but I'm hesitant to purchase one without having a gunsmith go over it, making sure it works and the parts are fit properly.

There is also the 1886 in 45.70, Browning a run of them a number of years ago (made in Japan I think), and they can be found on gunbroker for around $1500 or so, which is the same price as a current Chiappa model.

If your interested in the Winchester 1894, you can find boatloads of them at any gun show in PA for anywhere between $300 to $500. At some point there was a run of these in .38spl/.357mag, and .45colt. Originals come in .30-.30

Sometimes you can find originals from back in the day for really good prices, but the problem is parts.

I am partial to Winchesters, but not the price they go for. After a lot of reading I went with the Rossi R92. It is a clone of the Winchester 92. I love the lines and feel of the gun. I picked up a 357 Cowboy and a 45 Colt Cowboy models ata good price from Tony ( TJ Sporting Arms ). Next on the wish list is a Sharps 45/70 or a Remington Rolling block.

Come on Ted, Quigley didn't use a rolling block, he used an 1874 Sharps, more like this...

ublongrangesharps.jpg

Although, if I remember correctly his had a patch box in the butt and a full octagon barrel.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

hey its my gun and i will name it as i please :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

its the Quigley gun to me,, if i called it the Tom Selleck gun that would be gay :rolleyes::rolleyes: