s351saleengt

need help and info on M1A build

hey all im new here to this forum and need some info on my m1a build . im looking to buy a an m1a MA9826 loaded version , what i am unsure about are the nj laws about semi rifle with adjustable with adjustable cheek piece. ive been wanting to get a sage ebr chassis for it but just dont know if it will be legal cause of its features . i think the adjustable stock maybe an issue but its not an ar style rifle . this set up would be best for me because i am of small build so i always have issues with long butts on stocks .

post-2762-0-72246500-1294728712_thumb.gif

hey all im new here to this forum and need some info on my m1a build . im looking to buy a an m1a MA9826 loaded version , what i am unsure about are the nj laws about semi rifle with adjustable with adjustable cheek piece. ive been wanting to get a sage ebr chassis for it but just dont know if it will be legal cause of its features . i think the adjustable stock maybe an issue but its not an ar style rifle . this set up would be best for me because i am of small build so i always have issues with long butts on stocks .

Hello,

If that chassis has a telescoping or collapsing stock (as it looks like from the manufacturers website) then your M1A would not be legal in that configuration. An adjustable cheek piece is fine though.

the legality is based on a combination of features, whether it is an ar style rifle or not is irrelevant. For a magazine fed semi auto rifle you are only allowed to have one of the evil features, usually on an m1a that feature is the flash hider, on an ar it is the pistol grip. On some of the m1a's there is a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider so theoretically you can have one more feature but I am unaware of any stocks that have a pistol grip or collapsible stock but not both. I suppose you would be able to buy an m1a with a compensator and put it in a sage ebr chassis as long as you pin the stock.

the legality is based on a combination of features, whether it is an ar style rifle or not is irrelevant. For a magazine fed semi auto rifle you are only allowed to have one of the evil features, usually on an m1a that feature is the flash hider, on an ar it is the pistol grip. On some of the m1a's there is a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider so theoretically you can have one more feature but I am unaware of any stocks that have a pistol grip or collapsible stock but not both. I suppose you would be able to buy an m1a with a compensator and put it in a sage ebr chassis as long as you pin the stock.

wow i hate jersey so ridiculous, thanks a lot. that really answered all of my questions so ill be pining the stock after i size it and throwing a muzzle brake on that bad boy , what i dont understand is 4 years ago i bought a bushmaster ar 15 from meltzers and it came with a pistol grip and a flash hider so how is that legal or is it not ?

and one more question i have a rifle i want to sell were can i have it appraised and sell it ?

wow i hate jersey so ridiculous, thanks a lot. that really answered all of my questions so ill be pining the stock after i size it and throwing a muzzle brake on that bad boy , what i dont understand is 4 years ago i bought a bushmaster ar 15 from meltzers and it came with a pistol grip and a flash hider so how is that legal or is it not ?

and one more question i have a rifle i want to sell were can i have it appraised and sell it ?

Could the flash hider actually be a muzzle brake? The two look very similar, and so long as the brake is pinned it is permitted.

As for your second question, speak to one of the forum sponsored FFLs, and I'm sure one of them would be happy to take your rifle on consignment.

Don't forget. The muzzle break will have to be pin/welded on to make it permanent. Just having a threaded barrel on a M1A is a no-no if you put a pistol grip on it.

These laws are there to protect you. Imagine the kind of skin pinch you could get if you slipped while trying to take off your muzzle device one day.... :wacko: NJ is so concerned with your safety that they make it a felony punishable up to 10 years in prison. Isn't that so nice of them!

I have a rem 700 that I have the muzzle brake on its not pined and I refuse to pine it because I'm not gonna buy a new brake every year when I replace the barrel so I have mine on with a little locktite and I take it off every now and then to clean it . Nj is so bad with these kinds of things I wanna move just cause of there gun laws and reg

I have a rem 700 that I have the muzzle brake on its not pined and I refuse to pine it because I'm not gonna buy a new brake every year when I replace the barrel so I have mine on with a little locktite and I take it off every now and then to clean it . Nj is so bad with these kinds of things I wanna move just cause of there gun laws and reg

you only need to pin the muzzle brake on a semi auto rifle, i believe it may also need to be magazine fed for the evil features to kick in but im not sure and dont feel like looking it up now, either way the rem 700 being a bolt action is allowed to have a threaded barrel and therefore does not need to be pinned.

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm new to the site (and NJ)... must a M1A in a USGI walnut stock have a pinned & welded muzzle device? Without a bayonet lug, it seems to have only one of the features from the AG list - a threaded barrel. This would make it legal, correct?

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm new to the site (and NJ)... must a M1A in a USGI walnut stock have a pinned & welded muzzle device? Without a bayonet lug, it seems to have only one of the features from the AG list - a threaded barrel. This would make it legal, correct?

You are correct, M1A's can have flash hiders or threaded barrels since they do not have a pistol grip or bayonet lug.

To the OP, if you're going to get an M1A I recommend NOT getting a sage stock as you'll have to ruin it in order to make it legal. Troy makes an excellent modstock for the M1A and you can get it with a Magpul PRS which I believe is Jersey Legal. Troy will also sell you a muzzle brake.

However I will tell you this, these guns are HEAVY, and they are HEAVIER when you start adding modstocks and optics. I'm not a small person (6', 200lbs) and I had a very hard time holding my M1A steady at the range. I went with a lightweight AR (literally half the weight of my M1A even with optics and furniture) and am extremely happy with it. There are better options out there now regardless. To anyone thinking of going the M1A w/ modstock route I'd tell you to get a SCAR-17 and thank me later.

Bolt gun you can have anything you want. Folding stock, detachable mag, threaded barrel, flash hider, pistol grip. you name it. Evil rules only apply to semiautomatics.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with this being said, i could order the adjustable AICS stock for my Remington 700 ? And get the barrel threaded for a break?

If so, my day just got even better ;)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with this being said, i could order the adjustable AICS stock for my Remington 700 ? And get the barrel threaded for a break?

If so, my day just got even better ;)

Yes...the ONLY restrictions are for Semi-Auto

I'm starting to think that we should allow people to sign up, and browse the forum as they normally can. However they cannot create threads, or post, until they pass a test consisting of basic NJ gun law questions. We could even provide them with the material.

I'm starting to think that we should allow people to sign up, and browse the forum as they normally can. However they cannot create threads, or post, until they pass a test consisting of basic NJ gun law questions. We could even provide them with the material.

Why? A forum is to ask questions and collect information be it positive or negative! Hey everyone isn't gods gift to guns as you so assume you are. Lol.

Bolt gun you can have anything you want. Folding stock, detachable mag, threaded barrel, flash hider, pistol grip. you name it. Evil rules only apply to semiautomatics.

This is one of my responses from back in Jan 2011, it was 4 posts up from the new question on the 700 BA question. How much more clear can it get? The answer was sitting right in the original old thread.

Why? A forum is to ask questions and collect information be it positive or negative! Hey everyone isn't gods gift to guns as you so assume you are. Lol.

Nobody said I was "Gods gift to guns", nor did anybody imply it. It'd be pretty nice if you stopped making things up. That being said, the gun laws are just as easy to find as this forum is. So if someone's computer savvy enough to find this forum, and smart enough to fill the blocks to register...then they're computer savvy enough to find the laws, and smart enough to read them. These laws have also been discussed here countless times, and it can get quite old to see the same questions asked over and over. Yes, the forum is here for learning, it's not here for spoon-feeding.

Firearms laws are quite important, as not abiding by them can land you quite some time in prison. You should have at the very least a good understanding of the laws regarding what you can and can't have. I don't think "Well judge, I couldn't find the laws, and the guys on the forum wouldn't answer my question fast enough, so I thought *blah blah blah* was legal".