johnisme

Hi-point Carbine - Illegal??

Hi everyone... I purchased a hi-point carbine today... great gun (I know everyone thinks its cheap) but I shot a friends and really wanted one. I got it home and realized the stock is adjustable... combo that with the pistol grip and its illegal... not sure what to do... I know a few NJ residents who have one and the nj dealer didnt say anything. Worried about taking it to the range... any thoughts?

I'm planning to get one. I'm assuming the FFL people that sell them know more about the NJ laws than me. So, if they sell it, I assume it's legal. Edit to add: If multiple, reputable NJ FFLs sell a firearm, I assume it's legal.

I think that telescoping or folding stocks are banned. Not adjustable one. The Hi-point has an adjustable stock. I don't think it's a folding or telescoping stock.

Thanks for the input... looks like its ok if its "adjustable" . Next issue is the foregrip... hearing rumors that is a no no...

to make it easier..

a rifle with a detachable magazine is generally ok as long as it only has ONE of the following features..

pistol grip

flash hider or threaded barrel

folding or telescoping stock

bayonet lug/mount

grenade launcher

as long as it only has ONE of those features you are fine...

AR15 detachable mag with pistol grip.. and no other evil features.. LEGAL (providing it is not specifically named)

AR15 detachable mag pistol grip and telescoping stock... not legal..

front vertical grip is only an issue on handguns in which it creates another class of weapon (I believe it is an AOW) which is illegal in NJ..

There is a difference between a telescoping/adjustable stock....such as one that an AR15 has, and an adjustable butt-pad, which the hi-point has. I owned one in the past, I bought it from a member who owned it and purchased it legally in NJ, and I sold it to another member who owns it in NJ. My local gun shop sells them.

Just to be clear, post pictures and the exact model that you got. I am referring to the Hi-point 995. I don't think they offer any other models, but just to make sure.

There is a difference between a telescoping/adjustable stock....such as one that an AR15 has, and an adjustable butt-pad, which the hi-point has. I owned one in the past, I bought it from a member who owned it and purchased it legally in NJ, and I sold it to another member who owns it in NJ. My local gun shop sells them.

Just to be clear, post pictures and the exact model that you got. I am referring to the Hi-point 995. I don't think they offer any other models, but just to make sure.

This is the one I have, I am 99% sure its all legal, never 100% in new jersey.... very discretionary

What in gods name in the difference between adjustable and telescoping? Is there a different part that adjusts?

Adjustable is like a cheek pad or recoil pad... Telescoping is an extendable .... And folding stock is just a big no (unless its a shotgun and you dont have anything else on it) ...

Um... If i have a TELESCOPING stock on my shotgun (and pistol grip) i cant have anything else? I thought pumps were anything except a barrel below 16in. and silencers. (who would put a silencer on a shotgun is beyond me, but you get the point)

Um... If i have a TELESCOPING stock on my shotgun (and pistol grip) i cant have anything else? I thought pumps were anything except a barrel below 16in. and silencers. (who would put a silencer on a shotgun is beyond me, but you get the point)

You can put pretty much anything you want on a pump shotgun.

BTW the minimum barrel length on a shotgun is 18" not 16".

What in gods name in the difference between adjustable and telescoping? Is there a different part that adjusts?

This is exactly the question I put forth when I was asked (indirectly) for an opinion by a lawyer defending a case. I could find no definition in the statutes as to what constitutes a telescoping stock as opposed to just an adjustable one. Is there a defined amount of fore / aft movement that differentiates adjustable from telescopic? Nobody knows since it isn't defined.

The original AWB was predicated on evil appearance, not substance. Any prohibition of telescoping stocks should be based on whether in the collapsed position the firearm falls below the NFA minimum length of 26" (JMHO).

Adios,

Pizza Bob