Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Woman on the phone for 35 min with 911 waiting for help

She called 911 when she found out someone was trying to break into her home. Over 35min on the phone with 911, she had to resort to using a vacuum cleaner as a self defense weapon while waiting for police to arrive.

Technical difficulties and budget cuts were to blame. In all fairness it took 14min for the police to arrive after the "technological glitch" was ironed out. In reality, even 14 minutes is a really long time when you are fighting for your life.

http://rawjustice.co...hting-intruder/

edit: fixed 011 with "911" and sp

Most of the gun loving crowd I know say:

"When seconds matter, police are only minutes away."

In other words, pack some heat or it may be too late.

I don't even want to know how it's going to get after all the consolidations and layoffs here in NJ.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110117/NEWS01/110117065/Camden-police-layoffs-begin-officers-turning-in-badges-guns

I tell people all the time to not bother with 911 where i work, and give them the direct number. 911 goes to the county sheriff, who then send the call to us..eventually.

I agree, best response is when you go right to the proper local dispatch. My alarm system dials our local PD not 911 for instance.

Its just so ingrained into the public's mind to "dial 911 in case of emergencies", that in times of duress, that will come to mind, not the 10 digit number to the local PD's dispatch center.

Even so, the point of the story is no matter how expeditious your local PD is , everyone should have a plan to defend themselves while waiting for help to arrive. Even if it's with a home cleaning device...

What the hell kind of thief was this 30 min braking into a house, i believe his occupation of robbing was short lived..good thing for this lady that this thief was poor at his job..

Time for this lady to get a dog even if it is named magnum..

• Like 2

Hate to say it, but we here in NJ are going to be facing the same BS real soon. As the government and media convince the rest of the state that Police and Fire are the reason we're all broke, they keep cutting budgets and services and eventually we're going to end up with the same technology gaps and man power shortages. Its inevitable at this point and is coming sooner than later.

• Like 1

I tell people all the time to not bother with 911 where i work, and give them the direct number. 911 goes to the county sheriff, who then send the call to us..eventually.

Depends on where you are. I get the 9-1-1s and dispatch PD directly in my jurisdiction.

ETA: 35min is inexcusable.