hopper

Camden makes the ABC World News

You think about your being taken away from your daughter as a prisoner so you don't bring a handgun with you to work.....so you can risk being taken away from her in a box.

Exactly. How sad is it that I have to make that choice?

For instance, when I pull to a stop at a red light, I keep at least half a car inbetween me and the car in front of me. That way I can turn in either direction and get out without hitting the car in front of me, or being boxed in. When I'm the lead car, I look across the intersection for the most likely route of non impact. When I'm stopped for extended periods of time, I constantly scan through my mirrors so as not to appear that I'm "staring" but still am aware of everyone around me.

It's funny - a bunch of us were sitting around discussing the police layoffs on Monday and I suggested exactly what you said above to a young, female coworker. She is notorious for being naive and oblivious, so it didn't surprise me when she acted shocked that I even thought about these things every minute of every day. It "never occurred to her".

I'll be honest - I work in what is probably the safest part of Camden. But it's still Camden. And now that the criminals know the police will not respond to "non emergencies", it may become a free-for-all even here.

Camden is not that bad... My wife works at cooper and I often drive in to drop things off and sometime pick her up. I like to think of it as going on a third world vacation.

The gun issue is pretty funny with Camden. I live in collingswood which is only a couple miles away. In the summertime when we leave the windows open we hear gun shots every couple of nights. I am not sure if they are playing with guns down by the cooper river or if they are fights, but they are definitely there and using them. Last I checked I do not remember any shooting ranges anywhere in the area either.

Decreasing the cops in the area is the worst thing anyone could have done.