Since I've shot all over the state with this forum, I think I can judge who I'd rank as the NJGF top shots. I'm strictly going on what I've seen in my year and 8 months here.

1. Totalabuse

Jack can shoot a handgun and an AK varient better than anyone I've seen. He doesn't shot junk, but he's not running target pistols and sniper rifles. When he was plinking potatoes at 20 yards shot after shot with a Commander sized 1911 with night sights, I thought I'd seen it all. Then he was shooting his Russian guns like they were 22 plinkers, Wow.

2. EchoMirage

Rob's shooting is old school and kinda unorthadoxed but it friggen works. Give him a 92 and he is faster on target than anyone around. He reloads fast, moves faster, and makes dings faster than most.

3. This is a toss up. Sigman is good with his Sigs and revolvers. Real good. Recessed Filter is the man with a CZ. He puts holes in holes with that gun.

Well, that's just based on what I've seen. I'm sure other senior members can post some top shots of their own. What do you guys think?

I would add Tbtrout to that list.

ETA: we actually talked about doing our own version of Top Shot for a while, but it never went anywhere

No, but if Tammy was on here then she'd be #4

Thanks for the compliments, Ray!

I'm trying to get some gear (holster, mag pouches, etc) so I can start attending some matches and whatnot. Show off what my CZ can really do!

You missed the classifier match idpa match sunday! Some other dude there had a cz75b too, I forgot how he did though. I think it would be fun to shoot my CZ82 but it doesnt meet the 9mm minimum. Well, it meets the diameter but im pretty sure the rule means 9x19 :(

You missed the classifier match idpa match sunday! Some other dude there had a cz75b too, I forgot how he did though. I think it would be fun to shoot my CZ82 but it doesnt meet the 9mm minimum. Well, it meets the diameter but im pretty sure the rule means 9x19 :(

I actually wanted to attend it but I got my tonsils removed recently and I'm still in pain. I'm checking out the Comp. section every now and then so I can attend the next one.

Sucks that they have a caliber requirement though, i'm sure it woulda been fun using it!

I actually wanted to attend it but I got my tonsils removed recently and I'm still in pain. I'm checking out the Comp. section every now and then so I can attend the next one.

Sucks that they have a caliber requirement though, i'm sure it woulda been fun using it!

Ouch, sorry to hear about that! :icon_e_surprised:

I would add Tbtrout to that list.

ETA: we actually talked about doing our own version of Top Shot for a while, but it never went anywhere

+1 for Tim, that boy can shoot anything well! I think a bunch of you need to go to a Monday night Fun Shoot at Shore Shot and see who comes out on top. Since it is scored, it would take all the objectivity out of it. Or how about shooting some steel matches at CJ in the spring?

Interesting thread, yet very subjective.

How does one gauge who is a "top shot" here?

Do you judge by accuracy? Speed? Proficiency of different firearms?

So many questions, but how can you honestly get the right answers?

I have participated in numerous different shooting events ranging from USPSA, steel shooting, pin matches, 2X4 events, PPC, Tri County, 3 Gun, and IDPA. And I can honestly say that I have seen a wide mix of shooters with different skill levels. The only way I see that you can determine who is the "top shot" of NJGF is to have some kind of competition or event where everyone participating are shooting the same scenario or stage. Could be a mix of steel, paper, field course, shotgun, and rifle. Set it up so that you "run what you brung" sort of like the TV show "Pinks". Participants will need to decide what firearm they are most proficient with and compete against everyone else. Set up some kind of elimination process, until there is a winner or winners. Judging can be based on time and accuracy. You are going to get arguments about equipment being used, but it should be non issue unless you are using optics on a pistol. Everything else is your choice. Use what works best for you.

I am not questioning the people mentioned in this thread, just trying to start some friendly conversation and perhaps competition amongst ourselves.

What say you?

just trying to start some friendly conversation and perhaps competition amongst ourselves.

Like I said earlier, it's been brought up before. Unfortunately, we were never able to find a place to do anything like what you described.

Like I said earlier, it's been brought up before. Unfortunately, we were never able to find a place to do anything like what you described.

Hence the Bayonne Pistol Range vs. Bullet Hole.

Thanks for the compliment Tommy but pistols aren't my favorite thing. Shotguns on the other hand, well those are my fun toys. That's the reason for the judge, let the spread of the shoot make up for lack of aiming skill!

I've heard of Glenn's pistol shooting and Tim really is a good shot but I need to see more. What Ron said is perfect, shooting is so diverse that we really have no one top shooter. And shooting is like boxing, even though your the champion there's always someone tougher.

I wouldn't even know who to start this. Maybe a clay shooting event? 25 yard pistol match? It's so hard to set up and plan, not to mention where.

To Ronhonda's point, it comes down to defining top shot. We all watched in real top shot how nationally ranked competitors crumbled in arenas outside their discipline. So is a top shot someone who can shoot marbles to morters? I think so BUT that makes for a pretty impractical competition especially amongst ourselves. I was the one who presented the first NJGF Top shot competition idea BUT in thinking it through really came up with a ton of technical difficulties.... About the only thing I could come up with was to use existing venues. The competitors roll through an agreed upon list of already existing shooting events. For example:

An:

IDPA Match

USPSA Match

Tactical Rifle Match

Practicle 3 Gun match

Plate Shoot

etc etc. You get the idea. This way we have actual rankings amongst the competitors and can tally the events they win against each other.

Posted this in the competition section, but Old Bridge will be holding a "top Gun" match in June. They will be using the following;

• NRA Action (Bianchi): Falling Plates & Practical

• Steel Challenge: Roundabout & Smoke and Hope
  • USPSA/IPSC: 2 Field Courses
  • Bullseye: 25-yard rapid fire

This is a good example of various shooting sports/disciplines that one can use to have as a basis for a "Top Shot"

Well, I gotta say that VoodooDaddy has just become a NJGF top shot candidate. He actually reminds me of the bald guy that's always on the sportsmans channel show "Handguns". Can't think of his name though.

1. Totalabuse

Jack can shoot a handgun and an AK varient better than anyone I've seen. He doesn't shot junk, but he's not running target pistols and sniper rifles. When he was plinking potatoes at 20 yards shot after shot with a Commander sized 1911 with night sights, I thought I'd seen it all. Then he was shooting his Russian guns like they were 22 plinkers, Wow.

Just saw this. Thanks again Ray, that's quite a compliment, but...It was 50 meters (Tony was my spotter) and the 1911 is a full size Ed Brown SF. It was a good shooting day hopefully we can do it again soon.

That and Sam is so light and fast! Hell if I ran out of ammo I could just pick him up and through him at the target LOL

ha... Shane, that has been my plan all along, I would wield him like a saber. :icon_e_biggrin:

Cough Cough... I can hear you guys, you know. :icon_rolleyes::icon_e_biggrin: