usnmars

Need an opinion on a project

I have a Yugo SKS that is an outstanding shooter and was thinking on making it a project. I have a bunch of sks's and this is the least collectible and most beat up looking externally. I was digging through my parts bin and thought of a project. I found a side mount detachable scope mount, a repro M1 Garand cheek pad for a side mount scope and a vintage Weaver K4 scope. I am thinking what the heck and make a pseudo SKS sniper-LOL. I have all the parts, so it isn't going to cost me any money, just a little time to drill and tap the sks. I clamped it together and cheek weld is awesome and appears very comfortable to aim through the scope. So here is a pic of it mocked up, nothing drilled yet. What do yall think, should I go for it next time I am home?

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

Go for it. However wat u have to remember is that sksz empy casings extract upwards so u have to protect the scope with a shield or something like that. Good luck !

PS mods pls delete the double post

+1 I was thinking the exact same thing.. aren't they going to eject right into the scope?

The scope mount is side mount so the scope is on the side of the gun, not on top. This is the reason for the cheek pad the whole top of the gun is clear so you can even feed from strippers. Looks like I have some tapping to do when I get home from work.

The scope mount is side mount so the scope is on the side of the gun, not on top. This is the reason for the cheek pad the whole top of the gun is clear so you can even feed from strippers. Looks like I have some tapping to do when I get home from work.

Is the purpose of the cheek pad to push your head to the side enough for a side mounted scope that is offset?

well considering I already build a 1/2 MOA Mosin, my goal for this project is a sub MOA SKS. It is possible, and I have an unissued barrel standing by, but it will be a bunch of work. Tomorrow I am going to glass bed it and free float the barrel. FUN FUN! Today I cut an 11º target crown on the barrel and started stoning the trigger group. So maybe some time next week I will have a pic of yet again- one ragged hole.