Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

Arrest w/ WWII style m/g loaded w/ 30 rd mag.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2011/January/26/Coston_arr-26Jan11.htm

im curious where this a$$hole was going or who he was after. :icon_e_surprised: my co-worker (from the area) says it was an AK47. wtf is wrong w/ these people?? Good job by the Newburgh PD keeping their eyes open.

...funniest oart is the cabbie was ticketed too!! :icon_lol:

Newburgh man arrested with sub-machine gun

Coston

NEWBURGH – Police have arrested a Newburgh man who was in possession of a World War II era sub-machine gun.

Elijah Coston, 21, was charged with second- and third-degree possession of a weapon.

Coston was a passenger in a taxicab that was stopped in the area of 217 South Street in the City of Newburgh on Tuesday. Officers noticed the fare in the back seat was acting nervously so they interviewed him and noticed a bulge under his jacket.

They continued to question Coston and discovered the loaded weapon with a 30 round magazine.

The cabbie was ticketed for failure to obtain a taxi permit in the City of Newburgh.

Uh - I drive through the Newburgh area all the time to go play Airsoft (Up in Plattekill). I've never seen anything there that could compare it to Camden...

Unless I'm not actually driving through the bad part of Newburgh... Route 300 area... Anyone else been up there?

my co-worker (from the area) says it was an AK47.

My banking center manager was telling me a story when I first got hired. He said he was on vacation when his branch was robbed, and according to him they came in with "AK47's". My first thought was not "Oh snap, I hope that doesn't happen here!!!".....it was "Now I wonder what kind of guns they REALLY had...."

Point being.....I like to rely on facts instead of hearsay.

journalistguide.jpg

Uh - I drive through the Newburgh area all the time to go play Airsoft (Up in Plattekill). I've never seen anything there that could compare it to Camden...

Unless I'm not actually driving through the bad part of Newburgh... Route 300 area... Anyone else been up there?

Just got back from right there (Newburgh and Plattekill).....was there on a company seminar in Roxbury then dropped off the boss at Stewart airport.

Since we were in a hurry i was speeding........... Ny state trooper nailed me with 20 over...........................

Anyone with advice how to handle this in NY state !!!!!!

Just got back from right there (Newburgh and Plattekill).....was there on a company seminar in Roxbury then dropped off the boss at Stewart airport.

Since we were in a hurry i was speeding........... Ny state trooper nailed me with 20 over...........................

Anyone with advice how to handle this in NY state !!!!!!

20 over?! Jeebus. Well, with a NJ license you're automatically gonna get points - 2 points only.

20 over?! Jeebus. Well, with a NJ license you're automatically gonna get points - 2 points only.

for some reason the trooper told me to plead not guilty come to court and he`ll negotiate me to getting a different fine............??????

I ll hit up the blogs on this .....

for some reason the trooper told me to plead not guilty come to court and he`ll negotiate me to getting a different fine............??????

I ll hit up the blogs on this .....

Somtimes they will knock it down to a broken speedometer or emergency brake. Pretty much they are looking for the money, not to put the points on you. I used to live in the area and most speeding tickets ended up with a deal before going to the judge. depending on which town the ticket was issued. NY trooper will call you out before seeing the judge to discuss it. If you have a LEO friend maybe bring them along...No guarantees though. Fines are usually upwards of $100 or more with court costs.

There are two distinct Newburghs, the city of and the town of. Separate local governments. Unfortunately the City of Newburgh's glory days are thing of distant memory. Riots in the 60s converted the city permanently to 90 % welfare enclave. The waterfront is attractive, but don't get turned around on the streets above the hill. I lived there (in the city) for a long time, until I could no longer fight the good fight there. Some of the nicer neighborhoods still have potential, but they are surrounded. Conversely the town of Newburgh has and always will be a nice place to live and all of the development and commercial properties pretty much exist in the town. The catch is they share the same school system with city for the most part. The part you are passing through is the town.

Somtimes they will knock it down to a broken speedometer or emergency brake. Pretty much they are looking for the money, not to put the points on you. I used to live in the area and most speeding tickets ended up with a deal before going to the judge. depending on which town the ticket was issued. NY trooper will call you out before seeing the judge to discuss it. If you have a LEO friend maybe bring them along...No guarantees though. Fines are usually upwards of $100 or more with court costs.

It was in Kingston when i was returning from Plattekill ,

Never had a state trooper tell me that i need to plead not guilty, go to court with him and we talk about it and knock it as a parking or other violation.

Thanks for the advice , i appreciate it .

I've gotten a few tickets in NY - do exactly what the LEO suggested and go to court and talk to the prosecutor. In my experience, compared to NJ, they are really good about this type of thing in NY and will usually knock it down to a non-moving violation or at least a minor infraction.

I got a ticket for doing 50 in a 30 and operating an uninspected vehicle and got it knocked down to a $150 parking ticket.

Another time, I got hit for doing 80 in a 65 and got a 'failure to abide by traffic control device'. I think this was a $85 ticket with 2 points.

NJ, on the other hand, only lets you plead to 'unsafe driving' (or something along those lines) which is a $400 fine with no points, but you can only do it once in a certain period of time.

Incidentally, I think almost every time I've been pulled over and given a ticket I've been told to do this by the LEO. If you have the time, it is almost always worthwhile to go to court and talk to the prosecutor. At least in NY that is - my luck in NJ hasn't been so great.

As for the story posted by the OP - I feel this is very tragic and down right heart breaking. What is probably a beautiful firearm and priceless piece of history will be destroyed because of this thug. I'd be willing to offer my home to foster this poor, abused weapon.

It was in Kingston when i was returning from Plattekill ,

Never had a state trooper tell me that i need to plead not guilty, go to court with him and we talk about it and knock it as a parking or other violation.

Thanks for the advice , i appreciate it .

Your welcome, the NY trooper issues the ticket but the decision is the local judge in the town at recomendation of the Trooper. Plead not guilty, Just show up to court early and the trooper will call you out for a chat. Politeness and respect to the trooper goes a long way.