Sign in to follow this  
Tactical Monkey

South Jersey Shooting Club

Hello members of SJSC.

I've driven past the range a few times, and have been to the website. I have a few quick (foolish) questions:

Can you shoot standing up/unsupported? It looks like in the photos the rifle range has plywood sheeting that would prevent you from being able to do this?

Same question but with shooting prone?

Can only special events/matches use the pit that is in the back?

What is the minimum distance you can shoot for rifle and pistol?

Thanks so much. I may be looking to make a switch. :icon_e_smile:

Yes, you can step outside of the covered shooting areas (provided that no one else is shooting, and shoot in front of it. At the 300 yard line you can move up to the 100, 200, etc and shoot from there. Again, if someone is shooting in the covered area, you're going to have to coordinate with them with what you want to do.

As far as I know the action range (pit in the back) is open for member use as long as there isn't a match there. I also know that the 3 gun matches are held in that back pit and I've used my .308 from about the end of the blacktop (40 yds give or take).

I'm not a member there but I've shot there a lot for the combat pistol course and a couple of 3 gun events.

As long as your being safe the club is fairly leanient, you can shoot outside the covered areas, draw from holster and shoot (a no-no at many ranges) controlled double taps are acceptable as long as your not being stupid. The 25 yard range is for pistols, 22's and shotgun patterening only - I have seen the RSO's remove people for shooting centerfire rifles on the 25 yard range. That is about all you get for minimum distance. You can bring things to plink on all but the 25 yard range, so the swinging steal targets are ok but have to be in or near the trap.

The Action Range is the range that is used for classes and competitions. It is not usually used by people just going to shoot but if you get to know the RSO's and they know you aren't going to be stupid they may give you permission to use the action range.

If you want to join there is an orientation you must attend where they go over the rules and give out a rule book.

I left the club last year so some things may have changed with the new RSO's.

I hope this helps.

If you're interested in practicing for HiPower rifle, for example, you can shoot through the doorway of both the 100 and 300yd ranges. One lane per range.

You can also fire prone, either from the concrete in front of the line, or on the grass in front of the shooting house, provided no one else is shooting behind you.

My first couple of winters at sjsc, I shot offhand 100yd through the doorway and when the season started in Spring, the practice showed.

IM me for more

Thanks for the info...

Regarding minimum range, perhaps I should phrased the question differently. On the 25 yard pistol range, can I set a target at 5/7/10 yards, or only shoot at 25?

I appreciate the info about prone and offhand shooting as well. Which leads to my next question of how busy does the range get on the weekends? Is it usually crowded, empty, 1 or 2 people depending on the weather?

Thanks again guys :icon_e_biggrin:

I was planning on taking you with me Gerry, maybe Shane too :icon_twisted:

These same questions need to be asked of the USANA members and staff.

True... As a matter of fact there should be a sticky that lists all the ranges in NJ, with as much information as possible: name, location, # of ranges, range distances, skeet/trap, price for membership, guest policy, can you shoot steel, events, etc.

OK Fine... I'll do it. :icon_twisted:

Speaking of SJSC, can you shoot steel on the 100, 200, or 300 yard rifle ranges?

To answer you range question. No. You can move 5/10/15 yards from the trap but the targets need to be within a few feet of the trap. The exception is the action range and you need permission to set up down there. The new RSO's are much more realistic then the past one so they may give you permission to use the action range to do that, I can't speak for them. The old CRSO- no way.

There is no USANA at this time. It shutdown on December 24, 2010.

There was talk of the old owners taking over, but nothing has surfaced yet.

USANA is alive and well, I was there yesterday for about 2 hours and shot about 150rds through my carbine.

Here is Skip's # (856) 358-4891, he is only there in the morning I believe. Sorry I can't be of more help with info but I am a new member there and don't know all the in's and out's yet.

I called the number and it rung about 5 times then just went to a generic answering machine. Would you mind telling how much your membership was? and we are talking about the former "Harborsite USANA" in pittsgrove correct?

I called the number and it rung about 5 times then just went to a generic answering machine. Would you mind telling how much your membership was? and we are talking about the former "Harborsite USANA" in pittsgrove correct?

Skip said he usually leaves by around 1pm or so. Membership is $120/yr pro-rated, Yup the former Harborsite in Pittsgrove. Evidently Skip had a stipulation in the contract that if something happened in the first 5 years after the sale the property reverted back to him. That is why he was able to re-open so quickly.

There is quite a few pistol ranges there. 3 of them are completely covered, you can get as close to the target as you want and it goes all the way back to fifty yards. Also three one hundred yard ranges, one covered with a concrete floor and two outside. Usually not crowded and no problem doing position shooting on any range. They also have an indoor pistol range. and indoor crossbow and skeet range. I've been a member there since 1993 and I love this range. I have a shooting match there this Sunday morning, I will find out some specifics about what is going on since Skip took back over and post it in the general discussion forum under the title USANA lives.