JimmyAGR

Any 600 yard+ ranges

Does anyone know of any ranges that are 600+ yards and within reasonable driving distance from here (3 hours or so from central NJ)? Of course they would also have to be public, or pay as you go so I could get in. I am a CJR&P member, but want to stretch my legs on an occasional trip.

Thanks.

Jimmy.. there is a place in PA, it's more along the lines of "or so" to the distance you requested but, Pa 1000 Yard Club. I think you need to be a member, but it's $50 per year.. not bad if you go a few times i guess..

Jimmy.. there is a place in PA, it's more along the lines of "or so" to the distance you requested but, Pa 1000 Yard Club. I think you need to be a member, but it's $50 per year.. not bad if you go a few times i guess..

Don thanks, just emailed them about Saturday non match shooting. For $50 a year even if I only can go a couple of times during the week I think it will be worth it. Easier then Arizona :). Thanks for the link. Let me know if you are interested.

Come shoot hipower or f-class at Cumberland Riflemen

There's a practice xtc match on 27Mar 0800 for only $5 coming up

Thanks for the link. Looks like the match is iron sights only? Are there any range hours / rules posted for non-matches? I couldn't find any on the website.

Jimmy

What do you guys have that you plan on shooting at 1000 yards?

I have a Remington 5R that is capable of that distance, whether I am or not is the question. I am also looking to pick up a Larue OBR 7.62 with a NightForce 3.5-15 scope. From doing research on the OBR people are getting 9 inch groups at 1100 yds. Again don't know if I can do it but I like a challenge.

Don,

thanks for this link. That looks like a great place to shoot. I am interested in the shooting school they have this May.

Here is another 1000yarder. http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/facilities.htm

All these joints are 4 hrs away :(. Seems like a guys weekend is in order!

A weekend of shooting to 1K sounds great. Yours might be a better choice. I emailed the PA 100 yard Benchrest club. They are not a range per se, and only want people who shoot their competitions using the range. See below:

Jimmy,

I want to sound positive to all prospective shooters but I want to make it clear that we are a shooting club that holds regularly scheduled matches and this is our main reason for existence. We are NOT an open shooting range. Our range is open for members for practice for matches on non shooting weekends. We have very specific criteria for range use on non match weekends and these must be followed. I would encourage you to travel to a scheduled match to see if this is what you are interested in.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank

Jimmy, Have you used the 300 yard range at CJ yet? Once I get my 5R dialed in , eventually i'd like to mozy over to "the other side". I hear horror stories of benchrest snobs making it very unfriendly over there. Curious to know your experiences.

Dan, if you are refering to CJ as far as benchrest snobs, that hasnt been my experience and Im a member for over 12 years. In fact last summer a benchrester was kind enough to stop his routine and answer a bunch of questions for me on reloading with arbor press dies. But most of the time when there is no match going on its tons of open lanes.

Jimmy, I have a buddy that shoots there. I think its another "membership" deal but again its cheap. He shoots 338 and 50 there so I know its gtg.

These guys in PA are a little closer:

http://www.tulrpc.com/

Problem is, I can never figure out what is up with them. They either had, have, or will have 500 yards. They allow FA also.

I have a local guy that gives me 600+ yards (I only shoot 500) but I'm sorry, you can't come. There's nothing I can do about that one.

Dan, if you are refering to CJ as far as benchrest snobs, that hasnt been my experience and Im a member for over 12 years. In fact last summer a benchrester was kind enough to stop his routine and answer a bunch of questions for me on reloading with arbor press dies. But most of the time when there is no match going on its tons of open lanes.

Jimmy, I have a buddy that shoots there. I think its another "membership" deal but again its cheap. He shoots 338 and 50 there so I know its gtg.

Thanks for that Shane. I've always been reluctant to head over there due to the stories. I know its silly, but the last thing I want is to make waves ya know. After I grow out of 200 meters, I'll give it a go.

BR Snobs on the 300m? Yeah, there's people there that lock their rifles in sleds & really slow slowfire maybe 20 rds in few hrs. I've had a heavy sigh or two from some of them when I ask to do a cease fire, but 99.999% everyone is great. The sledders look down on the milsurpers who look down on the cowboys, maybe :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin: Eh, whatever, join up and use the 300m and come out for the highpower stuff

Hi Shane,

My friend just told me about this place a couple days ago. He said its a great setup and always has a wonderful experience there. To join you mail in a check for $50 for the year w/ an application and thats it. There is no mandatory range orientation you have to attend. They treat you like a responsible adult and let you go about your business. If you have any questions at the range, a fellow member will help you out. Range goes out to 1000 yards and there is random steel that you can plink. This place sounds like long range heaven!!! Its worth the 4 hour trek if its that good.

Have you been there Shane? If so can you share your experience?

Paul

Here is another 1000yarder. http://www.mifflinco.../facilities.htm

All these joints are 4 hrs away :(. Seems like a guys weekend is in order!

Jimmy, Have you used the 300 yard range at CJ yet? Once I get my 5R dialed in , eventually i'd like to mozy over to "the other side". I hear horror stories of benchrest snobs making it very unfriendly over there. Curious to know your experiences.

Dan never have an issue there, and I really could give a **** about what anyone else thinks. They pay the same dues we do. But again everyone I meet there has been very friendly and helpful. I tend to chat with lots of people.Will probabally go this weekend sometime if you want.

Hi Shane,

My friend just told me about this place a couple days ago. He said its a great setup and always has a wonderful experience there. To join you mail in a check for $50 for the year w/ an application and thats it. There is no mandatory range orientation you have to attend. They treat you like a responsible adult and let you go about your business. If you have any questions at the range, a fellow member will help you out. Range goes out to 1000 yards and there is random steel that you can plink. This place sounds like long range heaven!!! Its worth the 4 hour trek if its that good.

Have you been there Shane? If so can you share your experience?

Paul

For $50 bucks a year I am up for either one. Even if you do 3 to 4 trips a year, make a weekend out of it. My son went to Penn State, so I know the ride well, very boring. I like the idea of random steel to shoot also, gives you practice ranging.

I havent been there but the same buddy sent me a bunch of pics. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the drive. I guess because I have been a commuter for so many years the idea of being trapped in a tin can for 8 hours in one day.... well I think Id have such a headache by the time I got there I wouldnt shoot :icon_eek: But the idea of an overnight appeals to me much more.

Yeah, I would make it an overnight trip too. I went to Penn State for my undergrad work like Jimmy's son and I know State College, PA isnt too far away. Thats a cool little town built around the university that has alot of great nightspots where you can grab a decent meal for next to nothing. If its a non football weekend then overnight accommodations will be plenty available too.

I havent been there but the same buddy sent me a bunch of pics. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the drive. I guess because I have been a commuter for so many years the idea of being trapped in a tin can for 8 hours in one day.... well I think Id have such a headache by the time I got there I wouldnt shoot :icon_eek: But the idea of an overnight appeals to me much more.

A little dueling DTA's Bullzeye? Hehe. Although my DTA is glassless at the moment. I pulled the S&B off and put it on the MWS to try it on there. Id really like to put the new S&B 3X20 on the DTA, especially being a 338! But the other side of me says sell off the 338lm conversion and get the 308 conversion, I just dont shoot it enough! I put 20 rounds though it :( Did print a nice .5 3 shot last time out :)

I just ordered the DTA 338 conversion kit Shane. A month ago we were talking about the expense to shoot that big boomer and that there is no place to shoot to stretch her legs. Well, I landed a deal for a surplus of 338 lapua components and the next thing you know I'm placing an order w/ Jon Beanland for the conversion kit. Talk about putting the cart before the horse :icon_rolleyes:

If we meet up you can test the 308 Win conversion. So far its all I know and its a smooth operator: accurate, and less recoil then a standard 308 bolt gun. Have only taken her out to the Davis Indoor 100yd range in Goshen, NY twice but that rifle is definitely a keeper. Started out with a 10x Super Sniper scope I had laying around on one of my Ar15 and everything is a go. Now she is sporting a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 but I want to try the Premier 3.5-15x50 I recently purchased once I can get a little distance going.

DTA announced they are releasing a 260 Rem and 6.5x47 lapua kit this year but I may ship the chasis to Jered at APA so he can custom fit a 260 Rem barrel to it. I bet it would be less money to do it that way too.

A little dueling DTA's Bullzeye? Hehe. Although my DTA is glassless at the moment. I pulled the S&B off and put it on the MWS to try it on there. Id really like to put the new S&B 3X20 on the DTA, especially being a 338! But the other side of me says sell off the 338lm conversion and get the 308 conversion, I just dont shoot it enough! I put 20 rounds though it :( Did print a nice .5 3 shot last time out :)

Looks like there is a super 8 motel right by the range. A Friday night trip with a return on Saturday. The drive is not that bad as long as you are not hung over. My son was in a frat and I made it to a lot of their parties :). After all I did build the house a bar.

Its a deal. Lets plan a trip in the Spring when we can see the ground again. Im going to mail in my application to Mifflin and my $50 check this week to get that processed. Until it gets warmer out I will be handloading, dry firing, and reviewing the online instructional videos from the Hide. And maybe Penn State is not such a great idea for a lay over. I don't know about you guys but I will be tempted to visit some of my favorite watering holes on the strip. Hangovers and long range tactical shooting are not a great combination if we drive up Fri night and shoot on Saturday. Now if we shoot on Saturday and stay over on Saturday night then thats a different story :D

Thats the right answer, start reloading for it! Then we can take the boomers to one of these 1000yarders!!!! Id love to get your Premier and my S&B side by side for a little "what the other side" looks like!

Looks like there is a super 8 motel right by the range. A Friday night trip with a return on Saturday. The drive is not that bad as long as you are not hung over. My son was in a frat and I made it to a lot of their parties :). After all I did build the house a bar.