YankeeFan

Non-resident Utah CCW going away...for us anyway

"A penalty for a nonresidents holding a Utah permit without obtaining a permit from their resident state would be a 10-year ban on being able to get a permit issued by Utah."

:facepalm:

OK so how does this affect you if you currently hold a Utah non-resident permit? What about renewal?

Would this be retroactive? I was looking at getting my Utah permit this month, but I'm not going to waste the money if they are going to invalidate it or hold up the approval to see where the bill goes.

:(

OK so how does this affect you if you currently hold a Utah non-resident permit? What about renewal?

from http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillint/sb0036.pdf :

37 (ii) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed

38 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant shall:

39 (A) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the

40 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes

41 the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm

42 permit law; and

(iv) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (1)(a)(ii) also applies to an application for

49 renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Looks to me like after 2012 you will not be eligible for renewal.

Why, as a Utah nonresident holding a CCW permit from your own state "that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law" would you bother paying Utah for a non-resident permit? If your state's permit has reciprocity in UT, why not just save the money and use your existing (reciprocal) permit? They're going to lose a LOT of revenue on this one...

it might be going away for everybody else, since Utah honors all permits from all states, as long as you're a resident of that state. This just screws NJ and a couple other states.

I wonder if I can sue NJ to get my money back, since it's because of NJ that my non-res Utah will now be invalid. LOL

from http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillint/sb0036.pdf :

37 (ii) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed

39 (A) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the

40 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes

41 the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm

42 permit law; and

(iv) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (1)(a)(ii) also applies to an application for

49 renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Looks to me like after 2012 you will not be eligible for renewal.

Why, as a Utah nonresident holding a CCW permit from your own state "that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law" would you bother paying Utah for a non-resident permit? If your state's permit has reciprocity in UT, why not just save the money and use your existing (reciprocal) permit? They're going to lose a LOT of revenue on this one...

Great, I guess I'm back to going for the Florida Permit.

That's a shame. There were a few guys turning the Utah CCW classes into a nice little cottage industry here in NJ.

I hope FL doesn't look at this as a workable idea. That would be bad.

That's a shame. There were a few guys turning the Utah CCW classes into a nice little cottage industry here in NJ.

I hope FL doesn't look at this as a workable idea. That would be bad.

I have 7 years on my FL permit.. if I am not living in a free state by 40 I deserve what I get.. :icon_razz:

it might be going away for everybody else, since Utah honors all permits from all states, as long as you're a resident of that state. This just screws NJ and a couple other states.

I wonder if I can sue NJ to get my money back, since it's because of NJ that my non-res Utah will now be invalid. LOL

It wont affect you guys in NJ...since NJ does not have reciprocity with anybody...

read this again:

42 permit law; and

42 permit law; and

Mrjam2jab is right. Unless there are other provisions not shown here it should not restrict NJ residents from obtaining the Utah CFP

Just great, they're now lumped in with PA and NH. Somebody smashed a gem.

NH doesn't require you to have a home state permit...but a permit from ANY state...

Page 2 of the application

A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:

1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you

reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

It wont affect you guys in NJ...since NJ does not have reciprocity with anybody...

read this again:

42 permit law; and

oh. didn't see that in the article. So i guess the article was not too clear.

I'm sorry, but I think it still affects/effects ;) NJ:

42 permit law; and

The way I read it, you cant get a nonresident unless you have a resident CCW of another state that has reciprocity

with Utah. If the state doesn't have reciprocity with Utah then you cant get a non-res CCW whether you have a resident CCW or not.

I know that sounds crazy, but that's how it reads to me. Anyone have a Legal resource we could ask?

I'm sorry, but I think it still affects/effects ;) NJ:

it's the one line that excludes NJ residents:

that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law;

and NJ doesn't care about any other state's permit. Even if Obama personally issues you one, you'll still get arrested in Jersey. lol

read this again:

42 permit law; and

Lets simply the language. Bob wants to apply for a Utah CCW.

38 firearm permit under this section, Bob shall:

39 (A) hold a CCW issued by the

40 NJ state Police If NJ has recognizes the UTAH Permit or If NJ has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm

42 permit law

What this says to me is that they will only give you a non-resident permit If NJ recognizes UTAH Permit or has reciprocity. Meaning as long as NJ recognizes Utah and you have a CCW from NJ, you can get a Utah CCW. See the difference? They're saying that if Utah does not recognize NJ but NJ recognizes Utah, you can get a Utah Permit as long as you have a NJ permit.

Since NJ does not recognize Utah nor does NJ issue permits to regular plebes, a person from NJ can never get a Utah permit.

it's the one line that excludes NJ residents:

and NJ doesn't care about any other state's permit. Even if Obama personally issues you one, you'll still get arrested in Jersey. lol

That is where my confusion is because Shall (to me) suggests that you must. So read it again with that word instead:

38 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant must:

42 permit law; and

From dictionary.com:

shall

   /ʃæl; unstressed ʃəl/ Show Spelled[shal; unstressed shuhl] Show IPA

–auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person shall, 2nd shall or ( Archaic ) shalt, 3rd shall, present plural shall; past singular 1st person should, 2nd should or ( Archaic ) shouldst or should·est, 3rd should, past plural should; imperative, infinitive, and participles lacking.

plan to, intend to, or expect to: I shall go later.

will have to, is determined to, or definitely will: You shall do it. He shall do it.

(in laws, directives, etc.) must; is or are obliged to: The meetings of the council shall be public.

40 NJ state Police If NJ has recognizes the UTAH Permit or If NJ has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm

42 permit law

What this says to me is that they will only give you a non-resident permit If NJ recognizes UTAH Permit or has reciprocity. Meaning as long as NJ recognizes Utah and you have a CCW from NJ, you can get a Utah CCW. See the difference? They're saying that if Utah does not recognize NJ but NJ recognizes Utah, you can get a Utah Permit as long as you have a NJ permit.

Since NJ does not recognize Utah nor does NJ issue permits to regular plebes, a person from NJ can never get a Utah permit.

+1 What he said! Thats how I read it as well

?

42 permit law

Ok...it seems that the bill i linked to above was not the most current version...

The latest version was amended as such:

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed

75 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant S. who resides in a state that

75a recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm

75b permit law .S shall:

76 (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the

77 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency