Matt

Well it occurred to me that i've let this state beat me

It occurred to me that, although I've wanted an AR type rifle for quite some time, that I am actually afraid to own one. I know how ridiculous this sounds and how many people have them but when I think about it I just can't help but feel like getting pulled over with an AR in the car is going to get you arrested for illegal assault weapon charges because half the cops in this state dont even know the law (like the other guy on here that got nabbed on a pistol grip shotgun). I realize that if you got arrested for an NJ legal AR you would get let off the hook but then I think about the hassle and legal fees that would inevitably be required... Anyway, just venting on the fact that I come to the sad conclusion that I feel like I've let NJ win. Thoughts?

You need to spend some time at a range, like Cherry Ridge where on any given day there are multiple ARs on the 50/100 line.

Took the words right out of my "mouth".

I can understand the paranoia... this state certainly makes you feel like a criminal for doing stuff people in other states don't think twice about. But, go to any outdoor ranges (or even some indoor ranges) in NJ and look around and see how many ARs and other evil black rifles are around. You'll quickly realize that aside from shotguns and hunting rifles, there's probably more ARs in NJ than anything else.

Wait a couple months till it gets warmer and we start doing the Ridge meet ups again. We'll all bring out the ARs for you :icon_twisted:

I think its like more than 95% of LEO do not know the gun laws. Maybe more.

They see an AR looking weapon and maybe....its LOOKS illegal, but he is not sure. It looks threatening, looks like an ASSAULT WEAPON. It looks evil. The question...what the hell is this guy doing with this. His mind wonders...than the headache begins.

They see a M1 carbine....wooden rifle, looks old, maybe for hunting, looks OK to him...have a nice day sir.

• Like 3

I understand as well. Last time I went to a range in NJ was probably 2003. They wanted me to sign in and provide my FID and all kinds of crap. I didn't shoot again for 4 years. The BS is just unnatural. I understand you guys deal with it just fine and it's no big deal to you. I'm just saying I understand how the OP feels.

They see an AR looking weapon and maybe....its LOOKS illegal, but he is not sure. It looks threatening, looks like an ASSAULT WEAPON. It looks evil. The question...what the hell is this guy doing with this. His mind wonders...than the headache begins.

They see a M1 carbine....wooden rifle, looks old, maybe for hunting, looks OK to him...have a nice day sir.

Yup

Everything involves risks. But yea, I agree with the other posters.. just get the AR! There's a lot of BS going on in the state around firearms laws, but considering the odds I'd be more concerned over safe handling and storage over being charged for possession of a AW.

That being said, always have a plan. If you still feel uncomfortable check out legal insurance... not a bad thing in general to have in Sue Jersey.

Matt,

If you do have an AR and it can be readily seen by a police officer during a traffic stop, yeah, you'll probably get arrested. Not because of an illegal AR, but because you're not transporting the weapon properly.

I've been pulled over for speeding on a back road while coming home from the range. You know what happened? I got a ticket for speeding. And that's with two AK type weapons in my cases. The police officer asked me what was in the cases. I told him my guns. He asked me where I was coming from. I told him the range. He asked if the cases were locked (I drive an SUV), I said yes. He said ok, pay the ticket or show up for the court date. End of story. It was seriously such a non-event that I was pissed for not paying more attention at my driving (I think I was doing 60 in a 45).

Anyway I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I'm not claiming that the police are beyond misidentifying our rifles but I just want to point out that your fears might be unfounded. That and there's a perfectly good, lonely black rifle out there all alone and looking for a home like some lost child.

So Matt, won't you just do it for the children?

Also, get an AK. AR's are range queens who don't like to get filthy. It's more fun to handle something that likes it dirty.

Oh and lastly, "Illegitimi non carborundum".

Out here,

GunnyR

• Like 1

And you base that on exactly what????? if THAT was the case then there would be hundreds of people arrested every year erronelusly...yet there arent.

and here I thought I was coming into this thread to see an AR and all I see is men talking like mamby pamby's. Denny Crane!

Ask and thou shalt receive. Better put my tin foil hat on. I hear helicopters in the distance. :icon_twisted:

NewstockgripandBUIS.jpg

• Like 1

is there a way you can actually 'beat' this state? look at what happened to brian aiken and the pistol grip mossberg guy.

Absolutely.. you can follow the laws...

BA broke the law.. clear as day... yeah he got railroaded with the sentence but he still broke the law..

PG Shotgun guy?

there are three sides to every story... side 1.. side 2.. and the truth.. we have side 1 and nothing else.. so until more information surfaces I would maybe think that there MIGHT be a little more to the story?

It occurred to me that, although I've wanted an AR type rifle for quite some time, that I am actually afraid to own one. I know how ridiculous this sounds and how many people have them but when I think about it I just can't help but feel like getting pulled over with an AR in the car is going to get you arrested for illegal assault weapon charges because half the cops in this state dont even know the law (like the other guy on here that got nabbed on a pistol grip shotgun). I realize that if you got arrested for an NJ legal AR you would get let off the hook but then I think about the hassle and legal fees that would inevitably be required... Anyway, just venting on the fact that I come to the sad conclusion that I feel like I've let NJ win. Thoughts?

I have three AR's, one I had to make jersey legal after leaving L/E.

My .02

Know the laws and follow them, that's all YOU can do.

Don't let the politicians keep you from enjoying a great hobby.