Sign in to follow this  
joejaxx

To move to freedom land or NOT to move to freedom land

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which option should I choose?

• Drive 60 miles each way from PA to NJ 5 days a week to my job at 9 AM (possibly having to take RT80)
    • Take a train from PA to my job which is 3 hours each way (5:55 AM departure to get there at 9AM)
    • Stay in Fail Jersey
    • Buy Matt6669's Mosin Scope (a random option suggested by usnmars)

Title says it all. I am looking at these options while keeping my job in New Jersey. I currently drive 34 miles each way to my job in New Jersey taking RT78 and the Garden State Parkway. The move to PA would be until I finally decided to moved to Arizona or Texas.

For years now i have a belief that state of NJ wants us to all move out but they also need us to keep sending the property tax money every year even if we leave the state.

I think that that is the most convinient way for them :icon_e_biggrin: . It`s hard to find a state in this union that acually sinks faster.

If the math is right ,, do it...........train is a good idea now that we have broadband coverage.......

I`ve been doing a 50mile each way in NJ for years....you numb out after the first year and a half.

Best part about actually going to freedomland is that the people are much nicer and not so stressed as many Jersey folks.

Whatever you do , make a decision and ACT ON IT. ( I don`t know if you have a family but as we all know that is a major factor).

Title says it all. I am looking at these options while keeping my job in New Jersey. I currently drive 34 miles each way to my job in New Jersey taking RT78 and the Garden State Parkway. The move to PA would be until I finally decided to moved to Arizona or Texas.

I know a guy that does 70 miles each way on 80 from PA, he wouldn't have it any other way. I do 40 miles into Bergen county and the entire trip takes nearly an hour one way. Get a Sat radio and it goes fast enough.

It's hell on the car so get something comfortable that gets good mileage.

I know a guy that does 70 miles each way on 80 from PA, he wouldn't have it any other way. I do 40 miles into Bergen county and the entire trip takes nearly an hour one way. Get a Sat radio and it goes fast enough.

It's hell on the car so get something comfortable that gets good mileage.

I said the same thing.. this is what I recommended..

smart-car-5.jpg

I'm sorry. It Sux, it fails but I still think NJ is the best state in the union. Im forever loyal to this state. .... Maybe cause my best memories connected to this place ....

PS but if somebody offers me more money... Ima moving :)

I did the PA to NYC trip for several years, was 90 miles each way. It got old, but was bearable. The problem is with your car, you will need a new one every few years. I changed my oil just about every month. The other thing you have to consider is weather. Sometimes you can't make the drive. Do you have someone you can crash with in NJ if the need arises? I moved back after divorce, more women here :). I would do it again if the opportunity presented itself.

Thats one helluva commute. I couldn't bear it. I thought about it a few years ago before buying a house.

Wear and tear on the car and gas are huge expenses. Plus, you would become a slave to gas prices even more so. If we hit $5 a gallon again, that would be devastating. You could spring for some econo car to help, but still something to think about.

You also have to consider your commute time patterns. None of the highways are getting less congested during rush hours these days especially rt 80 and 78. Seems the new "rush hour" is now 6am-8pm Mon-Sat...

I'd only do it if I could find work reasonably close within 40 miles max.

Best of luck with your decision!

• Like 1

+1 to what Dan said.

Personally, I would not be able to do it and enjoy it. It is not even the long commute, but rather the time. Miles just fly by if you are commuting to nyc or whatever, the problem is when traffic and accidents happen, and you are just stuck there.

Almost every day, there are accidents on Rt 80, and 78. especially around the 287 interchanges. Now throw in weather.

If you have the time, try to replicate the commute one day... during the same time... or leave work early and take a ride to PA.

+1 to what Dan said.

Personally, I would not be able to do it and enjoy it. It is not even the long commute, but rather the time. Miles just fly by if you are commuting to nyc or whatever, the problem is when traffic and accidents happen, and you are just stuck there.

Almost every day, there are accidents on Rt 80, and 78. especially around the 287 interchanges. Now throw in weather.

If you have the time, try to replicate the commute one day... during the same time... or leave work early and take a ride to PA.

What about the train option?

I was interning down in Edison for 2 summers, commuting from northern bergen county, that was hell. Most days it took 2 hours to go 60miles. Some days i did the commute with my dad, but most of the time i did myself. When he retired last year, the most wear on his body and mind he said was purely from the commute, he said he would have worked another couple years if it wasnt for it. 4 hours a day in car def. takes it toll.

Joe, Train from where to where?

Only thing you can really do is if you move to PA around Yardley area... close enough to the North East cooridor line. My brother commutes from PA to NYC daily. Drives to Trenton (20 mins), takes express train to nyc.

The commute will wear you down. You will not last long with that commute. I know guys who do it and its painful.

it's a routine. You get used to it after a while. You sit in traffic frustrated, then you relieve all that frustration by going to the range with your AK-47 and other toys banned in NJ and fire away using 50 round magazines. Lol

• Like 1

it's a routine. You get used to it after a while. You sit in traffic frustrated, then you relieve all that frustration by going to the range with your AK-47 and other toys banned in NJ and fire away using 50 round magazines. Lol

70 round AK drum mag dumps!

he told me the train would be 3 hours in and 3 hours out.. that means your work day is now 8hours PLUS 6hours in commute.. 14 hours a day? no thanks.. you just devalued your pay to about half because work is taking 2x what is normal.. and that would be OK maybe if he was looking to live in PA.. he is not.. he wants to eventually go to the some other state... I told him.. just suck it up till you are ready to really move to where you are going to stay....

he would not save anything on property taxes.. he rents..

Joe,

My advice is to find a job outside of NJ in a free state. Leave while you are young and while you still can. You've got a technical degree that is marketable in many many areas. Why would you let your employer be the deciding factor in this decision? Also, if your employer is large enough, do they have offices in other states? Most professionals stay at a particular employer for 5 years or less...

I agree with Dan and Vlad. They make great points. I commute about 1.5 each way to work and it can be rough. Also, as far any mode of NJtransit, the cost is insane and only rising. I used to take the train from New Brunswick to NYC. It costs $360 a month plus parking and a metro card. I was well over $500 a month. If I could make the money I make in NYC in East Bumblef*ck, surely, I would live in East Bumblef*ck. I have thought about it a good deal and I'd be willing to take a 10-20% pay cut to work within 20 minutes of home. Having money to buy nice things is worthless if you work so much you can't enjoy them.