vladtepes

Saiga Conversion Information

good drill

good bit

patience

you don't need a press.. most people mess it up because they are not patient and they burn up the bit...

Or can't drill straight...but from what I've heard it's the initial process that can really hose you up if the bit walks. Even going slow, once it bites into the steel and walks it can really make it hard to get the part centered. Does a punch even help against this part or is it too tough?

Or can't drill straight...but from what I've heard it's the initial process that can really hose you up if the bit walks. Even going slow, once it bites into the steel and walks it can really make it hard to get the part centered. Does a punch even help against this part or is it too tough?

In the conversion write up that I read, it highly suggested using a punch. I see no reason not too. Once you get the gun apart, you need to have a piece of wood inside the receiver to support it, and prevent warping the receiver when you hit it with a punch.

so muzzle has to be pinned and welded or can it be just welded?

the law reads evil device as flash hider or threaded barrel capable of accepting flash hider... if the brake is permanent.. pinned and or welded.. I fail to see an issue of non compliance... you are not using the brake to get minimum length the rifle is already a 16in barrel... if you were talking SBR AR or something with a muzzle device to achieve length.. they you would have to comply with the BATFE standard..which I believe is the following.. but that only applies to SBR using a muzzle device to meet minimum length.. to just satisfy NJ my opinion is that you put it on there.. and it can't just come off..

Blind pinning involves drilling into the barrel a short distance, then welding it in and grinding the external weld to match the contours of barrel.

If you have high temperature silver solder, that is also the 'legal' way.

You may also tack weld at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock

You may also weld 50% of the attachment point in a solid weld

This is what I was thinking about doing for my conversion. I just want to make sure I will be legal and that this will work.

http://www.atlanticf...product708.aspx

http://store.carolin...RD-BLACK/Detail

http://store.carolin...sion-kit/Detail

you will also need an AK bolt on lower retainer..

and an AK gas tube..

you will also need an AK bolt on lower retainer..

and an AK gas tube..

Ok thanks. I added those to my post above. What is the difference between a vented gas tube and a non vented gas tube?

Also I think I might also do the bullet guide. If I do the bullet guide will I still be able to use the regular mags for the saiga's?

Ok thanks. I added those to my post above. What is the difference between a vented gas tube and a non vented gas tube?

Also I think I might also do the bullet guide. If I do the bullet guide will I still be able to use the regular mags for the saiga's?

I do not believe there is a noticeable difference between vented and not..

and yes with modification you can use standard Saiga mags..

So i just got my conversion kit in the mail and I'am trying to get the gas tube in the upper grip. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it turned all the way? I do not have a bench vise. I got it about half way with vice grips but it is a small amount at a time and I'am struggling to get it the rest of the way. So if anyone has any tips let me know.

Thanks.

So i just got my conversion kit in the mail and I'am trying to get the gas tube in the upper grip. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it turned all the way? I do not have a bench vise. I got it about half way with vice grips but it is a small amount at a time and I'am struggling to get it the rest of the way. So if anyone has any tips let me know.

Thanks.

you MIGHT have to shave the top of the gas tube SLIGHTLY where the cam of the front trunion rolls over the tube to hold it in..

I'm a little unclear on the 922r compliant parts with respect to the magazine. If I ditch the factory magazine and use Surefire mags(US made) does that count and if so, how many points ? I noticed that the magazine body, follower and floorplate counts a 1 each individually ? Am I reading this wrong ?

I'm a little unclear on the 922r compliant parts with respect to the magazine. If I ditch the factory magazine and use Surefire mags(US made) does that count and if so, how many points ? I noticed that the magazine body, follower and floorplate counts a 1 each individually ? Am I reading this wrong ?

parts count is VERY easy to understand..

the rifle is made up of a certain amount of parts.. in the case of a Saiga it has 14 parts.. that the government considers countable..

if you add any other parts that are considered countable you must add them to your total parts count..

for example.. a converted Saiga also has a pistol grip.. this makes for 15 total countable parts.. 14 + 1 for 15 total..

a converted Saiga with a pistol grip.. is also now not sporting anymore since it has been modified from its existed imported configuration...

so you are starting with 15 parts..

you must get down to 10 to be legal..

magazines DO count a countable parts.. and a magazine has 3 key components to function.. magazine body.. spring.. follower.. this is where your 3 countable parts come from..

the problem with this is if you NEED those 3 parts to be compliant if you EVER use a NON US made magazine.. the gun is instantly in violation...

if your saiga requires US mags to be compliant.. and you are up shooting in PA with me and go to use my AK steel mags.. you legally can't..

I personally do not recommend achieving compliance through magazines..

but that is how it works.. and why you get 3 countable parts for US magazines..

ttypically my builds work like this..

15 parts

-1 stock

-1 pistol grip

-3 fire control goup

and you are good to go..

just remember muzzle devices count also and if you use a brake you have to add that to the parts count...

So now I'am having problems wit the gas tube fitting I trimmed down a little of the part that gets locked down. When I put it on the gas tube has room to slide back and forth. There is also a good amount of space between the upper hand guard and the lower.

Here are some pictures-

SANY0531.jpg

SANY0532.jpg

SANY0533.jpg

SANY0534.jpg

the top and bottom halves never line completely up.. it is just not how it goes..

what handguard is that?

you might have taken off too much material? does the gas piston bind at all when you hand cycle the gun.. all of my AK tubes on Saigas have fit solid.. what did you take material off with?

I picked up a Saiga 7.62x39 the other day and have already started looking at conversion options. I have an idea of what I want/need but wanted to check with some experienced Saiga owners here to make sure things were right. All of these items are from Carolina Shooters Supply except the gas tube which is out of stock. I assume the Dinzag is ok?

I am looking at the Tapco/Timbersmith wood stock set. http://store.carolin...K47-WOOD/Detail

Handguard retaining lower bracket

Gas Tube (Vented or non-vented? Any difference?)

Tapco G2 Single Hook Trigger Group

JTE Performance Power Main Spring

Axis pin retaining plate

Disconnector spring

Trigger group hole plugs

I am also thinking of a bullet guide. Have I left anything out or is anything on the list not necessary? Are these all good parts? I believe all these parts are US made so I should be good to go with 922 compliance. Any input would be very much appreciated.

I picked up a Saiga 7.62x39 the other day and have already started looking at conversion options. I have an idea of what I want/need but wanted to check with some experienced Saiga owners here to make sure things were right. All of these items are from Carolina Shooters Supply except the gas tube which is out of stock. I assume the Dinzag is ok?

I am looking at the Tapco/Timbersmith wood stock set. http://store.carolin...K47-WOOD/Detail

Axis pin retaining plate

Disconnector spring

Trigger group hole plugs

I am also thinking of a bullet guide. Have I left anything out or is anything on the list not necessary? Are these all good parts? I believe all these parts are US made so I should be good to go with 922 compliance. Any input would be very much appreciated.

I used CSS a few times, no complaints, .. you might want the Tapco Screw Set for the back holes with some Loctite... also see if you stock set comes the grip nut

Axis pin retaining plate

Disconnector spring

Trigger group hole plugs

I think paul has just about everything you need in stock..