Jon

Another LEO shooting in NJ

A Paramus police officer is in critical but stable condition at Hackensack University Medical Center Monday after a late night shooting.

Officer Rachel Morgan’s bulletproof vest may have saved her life.

The 31-year-old, two-year veteran of the force was pursuing driver Michael Carmody south on Route 17 in Paramus around 11 p.m. Sunday.

The Westwood resident, according to authorities, turned onto the Garden State Parkway, lost control, then turned around and began firing.

Morgan was was hit several times in the stomach.

Backup officers on the scene fired back at Carmody, hitting him several times.

The 24-year-old suspect was then taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital where he was in critical condition.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/paramus-police-officer-shot-on-garden-state-parkway/

Yet another LEO shooting. Happy to see Officer Morgan is in stable condition after surgery, and very happy that the scumbag who shot her has several large holes in him.

To our resident LEO's... stay on your toes!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/paramus-police-officer-shot-on-garden-state-parkway/

Yet another LEO shooting. Happy to see Officer Morgan is in stable condition after surgery, and very happy that the scumbag who shot her has several large holes in him.

To our resident LEO's... stay on your toes!

Another dirtbag with a carry permit? What is this state coming to anyway... <== Sarcasm!

Officer Rachel Morgan’s bulletproof vest may have saved her life.

Correct me if Im wrong, but don't most bulletproof vests stop at the bottom of the rib cage? If that's the case and she was shot in the stomach

how did her vest save her life?

Its good to hear that she should pull threw. The LEOs should have just left that scumbag on the road to bleed out. just my .02

• Like 2

Correct me if Im wrong, but don't most bulletproof vests stop at the bottom of the rib cage? If that's the case and she was shot in the stomach

Its good to hear that she should pull threw. The LEOs should have just left that scumbag on the road to bleed out. just my .02

The vests that my PD wear end at about belly-button level. It's possible some rounds went above and some went below the vest line.

I noticed rather quickly that the pic of the 'suspect' was provided the the prosecutors office. And he is modelling a lovely shade of orange jumpsuit. So yet another case of criminals getting guns, illegally. This will not impact them too much, but each time this happens, it is a knock to the cause of law abiding gun owners. Like it or not. I can't blame the PDs for being way more suspicious, and treating everyone as if they were a threat. In the end this also widens the gulf between cops & citizens. FWIW I have noticed since PO Matlosz was shot all traffic stops I have seen are two PD vehicles, with the 2nd back about 30 ft or so from the first.

Her vest stopped the OTHER TWO that would have transited higher through her thoracic cavity.

I hope all LE that I know and that reside on this forum stay safe out there. Always wear your vest! There are just some people out there who lack common sense and will do whatever they have to do to get whatever they want. I hope you all stay safe out there.

+1

I agree Maks. Although I do take comfort in knowing he will be someone's **** in prison.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/paramus_police_officer_is_in_s.html

Heh. She was taken to a hospital in Hackensack.... The shooter was taken to Patterson... :D

Ahem - which hospital do you think has more experience responding to gun shot wounds?

St. J's may be in Paterson, but it is actually a pretty decent hospital. However, it is no where near the level of Hackensack. I'm actually wondering why they sent him that far. Hackensack or Valley are much closer, they must have wanted him to bleed to death.

They've found out the hard way that having Shooters and victims in the same Trauma Center can be a HUGE problem, so they try to separate them whenever possible. The Scumbag shot himself in the head after he was wounded. The officer was more viable so she went to the closer facility.

KPD - where did you hear that report that he shot himself? I heard it from word of mouth but didn't see it in any news articles.

I can't speak for KPD but I know a Paramus dispatcher and heard the same thing.

KPD - where did you hear that report that he shot himself? I heard it from word of mouth but didn't see it in any news articles.

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen/2112-attempted-murder-charges-against-man-who-severely-wounded-paramus-officer-and-fired-at-another

Moot point POS died this afternoon.....Saves the Taxpayers the cost of treating him.

Tuesday night, 2 Skells robbed 2 people of their car keys at Knifepoint in a Bar in North Bergen. The victims approached an NBPD Officer doing a bar closing check, and told him what happened. He attempted to stop the Six people in the group that included the two actors and was attacked by all six, One of whom trued taking his radio Mic away so he couldnt call for help. I dont have a source for it yet, but so far it hasnt been reported on NJ.com or Northjersey.com..i'm waiting for the link to the original story from a friend on another site.

Oh snap - is he ok? Any more info?

Apparently just cuts on his hands..i'm still waiting for the link to the story...i HAVE the story itself, but not where it was publushed, which is why i didnt just cut and paste it.

ETA: http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/full_stories_home/11330934/article--BREAKING--Group-of-six-allegedly-attacks-police-officer-?instance=up_to_the_minute_lead_story_left_column

Six charged outside North Bergen bar after scuffle with cops, police say

Six people were arrested on a slew of charges that include robbery and assaulting a police officer after they attacked cops outside a bar in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, North Bergen Lt. Frank Cannella said.

The police officer was conducting a routine closing check of Retro Lounge, located at 6743 Kennedy Blvd., at about 2 a.m. when two people came up to him and said they were robbed of their car keys by knifepoint, Cannella said.

The victims pointed to the two who they say stole the keys, Jose Argueta, 35, of Broadway in Union City, and Ingrid Cruz, 30, of Kennedy Boulevard in North Bergen, who were part of a six-person group just yards away on the sidewalk, reports said.

Twice, the officer attempted to stop the group, but was ignored, reports said. The cop then called for backup and drew his weapon, demanding the group to stop, reports said. One of the group, Fredys Mejia Moreno, 23 of Kennedy Boulevard in North Bergen, then shouted "shoot me" as he ran toward the cop, Cannella said.

He was joined by Juan Mejia Moreno, 24, of 67th Street in North Bergen, in the attack on the officer, Cannella said. Once backup arrived, they were attacked by a third member of the group, Felix Mejia Ferman, 24, of 71st Street in Guttenberg, Cannella said.

Cruz and another woman, Blanca Cruz Mejia, 30, of Kennedy Boulevard in North Bergen, then attempted to stop cops from handcuffing anyone, Cannella said.

North Bergen could not determine the relationship between the six people but reports said that Cruz Mejia, Cruz, Juan Mejia Moreno and Fredys Mejia Moreno reside together.

Quiero sustained cuts to his hands, wrists and face, but none of his injuries were considered serious, Cannella said. He was treated for his injuries by EMS and sent back to work, reports said.

All six members were arrested and charged with obstruction, Cannella said. Fredys Mejia Moreno, Juan Mejia Moreno, and Mejia Ferman were charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, Cannella said.

Fredys Mejia Moreno and Juan Mejia Moreno were additionally charged with attempting to disarm a police officer while Mejia Ferman was charged with exhibiting a false driver's license, Cannella said.

Jose Argueta and Cruz were charged with robbery, while only Argueta was charged with two weapons charges, Cannella said.

The knife was recovered at the scene, Cannella said.