TravDMH

Transfering Pistols from NJ to AZ

Well I highly doubt I am going to register the firearms. I guess I can bring them back for the summer though. Since I have residency in both AZ and NJ. Once I graduate and move back to NJ I will only be a NJ resident. Nonetheless, that does not take away from the fact the I was an AZ resident and purchased the guns legally there.

Well I highly doubt I am going to register the firearms. I guess I can bring them back for the summer though. Since I have residency in both AZ and NJ. Once I graduate and move back to NJ I will only be a NJ resident. Nonetheless, that does not take away from the fact the I was an AZ resident and purchased the guns legally there.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have never rented my apartment in NJ when I graduated... I would've rented in PA. Just a piece of advice from someone who's been there, done that.

And remember, it's never about the truth, it's about what you can prove in court.

You need to live 183 or more days out of the year in NJ to be considered a NJ resident. You cannot claim residency in two states.

You cannot claim residency in two states.

Simply not true.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#state-purchase

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

I think this thread has run it's course. It has been proven that one may be considered a resident in multiple states if they have dwelling there, are in the armed forces stationed there, AND a college student there. Purchases of firearms may be made while a resident in that state and may be transported back and forth between those states. Read the thread thoroughly prior to posting, as there has been proof posted with links to federal documents.

:thsmiley_deadhorse:

I think this thread has run it's course. It has been proven that one may be considered a resident in multiple states if they have dwelling there, are in the armed forces stationed there, AND a college student there. Purchases of firearms may be made while a resident in that state and may be transported back and forth between those states. Read the thread thoroughly prior to posting, as there has been proof posted with links to federal documents.

:thsmiley_deadhorse:

I understand what the federal documents say, however, the states have there own means of determining who is a resident and who is not. In nj they require you to be in the state for 186 days, thats pretty cut and paste here. If your not in state for 186 days then you should not be claiming residency. Thats NJ law and it has nothing to do with what the federal government claims. I'm sure for college students and younger people they dont really care and wont make a stink about it since your not paying a significant ammount of state income tax.

In order to be a resident of both states you would have to meet the criteria of both states to be a resident. And im pretty sure most states have a certain limit on the days required in state which is more then half the year. In this particular case you cannot be a resident of both states, unless of course he managed to be in nj for more then half the year, which is not the case.

And not to make a stink about it that statute doesn't say anything about being an actual state resident, it just talks about residing in a state for part of the year, not necessarily being a state resident, and what constitues the time you have to be there to buy a hand gun. I can reside in a state for 1 day, thats part of the year, and buy a hand gun and bring it back to NJ. There is just way to much wiggle room in that statute and it seems like its worded to get people in trouble.

In order to be a resident of both states you would have to meet the criteria of both states to be a resident. And im pretty sure most states have a certain limit on the days required in state which is more then half the year. In this particular case you cannot be a resident of both states, unless of course he managed to be in nj for more then half the year, which is not the case.

Ok, I posted the AZ residency statutes above. I own a business incorporated in AZ, I have a home in Arizona that I stay at, one week of four, I qualify as a resident of Arizona and I spend the other 3/4 of the year in NJ, so I qualify as NJ.

And not to make a stink about it that statute doesn't say anything about being an actual state resident, it just talks about residing in a state for part of the year, not necessarily being a state resident, and what constitues the time you have to be there to buy a hand gun. I can reside in a state for 1 day, thats part of the year, and buy a hand gun and bring it back to NJ. There is just way to much wiggle room in that statute and it seems like its worded to get people in trouble.

You're parsing words. It is in fact talking about state residency which is a requirement for purchase of a handgun for delivery in that state. Let's not get into the definition of what is is.

So you live in AZ for 7 months out of the year, and you live in nj for 186 days... correct me if im wrong but isnt that impossible?

Edit: sorry i just realized you only need to meet one of the criteria. nvm

I'm actually interested in this so sorry if im comming off as stupid i'm trying to read into this as best as possible. Does AZ force you to be a resident since you own a business there, can you opt out? I would try and stay out of NJ to avoid taxes personally.

So you live in AZ for 7 months out of the year, and you live in nj for 186 days... correct me if im wrong but isnt that impossible?

There is no REQUIREMENT that you live in AZ 7 months of year. It is simply one criteria of many, the preponderance of the criteria qualify residency, not necessarily any particular one.

I posted a perfectly legitimate way to be a part time resident of Arizona.

I'm pretty much positive bringing the guns back to NJ during the summer will not be an issue. The guns were bought legally through FFL's, at the end of the day that's all that matters I feel like

I'm definitely a NJ resident. The only concern is if my AZ ID card, living there 7+ months out of the year, and being registered to vote also makes me a AZ resident or just an out of state student

I'm pretty much positive bringing the guns back to NJ during the summer will not be an issue. The guns were bought legally through FFL's, at the end of the day that's all that matters I feel like

I'm definitely a NJ resident. The only concern is if my AZ ID card, living there 7+ months out of the year, and being registered to vote also makes me a AZ resident or just an out of state student

Do you go to a state school?

Just to give the thread some closure. I spoke with an Officer in the NJSP Firearm division, everything is kosher! Like everyone said before, the guns were purchased legally in AZ and I am resident of NJ when I'm home for the summers + when I graduate. This means I have two years to stock up on firearms in -hassle free- AZ before I graduate and move back to NJ

edit- NJ Legal Firearms

You need to live 183 or more days out of the year in NJ to be considered a NJ resident. You cannot claim residency in two states.

Where is this 183 days from? A few posts later you say its 186?

You can have dual residency with 3, 4, or 5 months in one state and the rest in another state. You don't need to own, rent, or have a mortgage. If you live in a tent in some place in the woods that can be your residence.

Just to give the thread some closure. I spoke with an Officer in the NJSP Firearm division, everything is kosher! Like everyone said before, the guns were purchased legally in AZ and I am resident of NJ when I'm home for the summers + when I graduate. This means I have two years to stock up on firearms in -hassle free- AZ before I graduate and move back to NJ

edit- NJ Legal Firearms

This is the first answer the NJSP Firearms Unit ever got CORRECT.