NJdiverTony

Belt or Paddle Holster???

I'm shopping around for a holster for my Beretta 92A1, and not finding many choices. Since it has a rail on it, I think I need to get a holster that fits the Beretta Vertec. The only one I've found so far is made by Fobus (not sure if that's a good brand). This is my first time ever shopping for a pistol holster. Should I be looking for a paddle holster, or a belt holster? Which is better and why? I know nothing about pistol holsters, so I would appreciate some good input.

Thanks!

Having owned and used both for rants and IDPA, I like belt holsters. I can put it where I want it and not worry about it coming out or canting itself into an undesirable position. I have owned fobus holsters and will not buy another, they didn't fit the gun well (my 1911 has scratches from only a few uses).

I am a fan of leather holsters and would reccomend that you look at. www.littlebearholsters.com. They can tell you if they have the mold for the beretta with the rail, a quick phone call or email will tell you that.

If your not into leather blackhawk makes good holsters.

Tony.... being a lefty sometimes me choices are limited. I had a fobus kydex paddle holster for a CZP01 and used it during IDPA matches. Never had an issue... until that one time. Nothing cracks up a room of shooters more then watching a guy try to get the holster off his gun instead of taking on targets. Priceless.

Get a belt holster.

Like how? My Serpa is pretty darn comfy with the paddle attachment.

Depending on your body type, the paddle can dig-in when you sit, stoop, kneel or whatever. Just something to be aware of when choosing a holster.

Friends don't let friends buy Fobus (clamp retention gun holsters). The retention is so overboard on those, even the adjustable ones will pull the holster off your belt before letting the gun loose. For a good quality adjustable clamping retention holster, look at Blade-Tech. Otherwise, there are a myriad of latch type retention from Blackhawk (serpa), Safariland, iTac, etc, it really just depends on what you want to do. Competition (practical or race)? Concealed carry? Range carry? Round the house carry?

Fobus are junk holsters. They are like a poorly made kids toy. My kids have gotten Happy Meal toys of better quality. I used to have a video around here somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it, from a weapons retention class. In it, the actor grabs the holstered pistol both from the front and rear, and basically pushes straight through, ripping the two cheap rivets right outta the rear of the holster that connect to the paddle, effectively disarming the shooter. You invested the money to buy a good weapon, now I'd strongly recommend you get some quality gear for it. My personal carry gear of choice is Kramer Horsehide Leather and Bladetech Kydex. I've also used FIST Kydex in the past and found it to be very good. I'll be picking up a Comp-tac in the near future for my newest carry piece. There are many other excellent options out there, but as in most things, you get what you pay for. Inexpensive carry gear will shift around ruining that fast clean draw you were hoping for, be uncomfortable as they pinch, scratch, and or roll under the weight of the weapon, offer marginal retention particularly under aggressive action like running, climbing as can happen in a match setting or worse yet, fighting for your life and they get worse as they break in and last but not least, they can damage the finish of your not inexpensive weapon. Buy once, cry once...

Wow, thanks for all the great replies! The Blade-tech's look very cool. I'm probably going to have to have a holster made for my Beretta, as nobody makes one for the 92A1 yet. The Vertec is almost the same, but the 92A1 has the rounded trigger guard, so it wouldn't be a perfect fit.

Is there any particular type of holster that is approved for IDPA? Or can any kind of belt holster be used?

No IDPA-Approved Holster List

In the past, IDPA used to maintain a list of IDPA-approved holsters, but the size of this list soon became unmanageable. There were also a few instances of manufacturers making unacceptable changes to their designs after getting the original designs approved, which lead to some problems. The IDPA-approved holster list was discontinued in favor of the characteristics-based approach originally adopted for handguns.

Basically, IDPA-approved holsters will be strong-side hip holsters or inside-the waistband holsters which cover the trigger guard and which have no cut-aways, drop, or offset, except that a limited amount of drop and offset is allowed for women. Holsters must be practical for all-day concealed-carry use. In a nutshell, IDPA requires "working" holsters, not competition holsters.

Similarly, spare magazine pouches, speedloaders, speedloader holders, and belts are approved based on their characteristics.

I would recommend Blade Tech they can make a holster for any gun and they are top notch. The IDPA pack comes with a belt and paddle attachment. If you plan on competing in USPSA, I suggest you order a DOH attachment with the Tek Lock and an extra mag carrier. That way if you go to a USPSA event, you will have all the gear you need.

For range use I would recommend a kydex holster over a leather holster. I find them to be easier to draw and holster on a frequent basis over leather holsters. Maybe it is just the particular holsters I have, but that is my experience. Paddle vs belt is more of a preference based thing then anything. Both can be effective, and comfortable depending on which one you get.

I have a paddle kydex holster (Blackhawk Serpa) for my 1911. I don't carry my 1911, so I figured a paddle holster would work well. I have no problem with it coming off the pants or lifting up. In fact, I actually have to undo my pants a little to get it off!

range use IMO is no reason to use a paddle holster.. put it on the belt and have it be nice and solid..

I use a phantom holster.. they are kydex and can be made in any fashion you want...

the phantom holster has 8 million holes on it and has tons of mounting options.. anything from IWB to on the belt.. I love it.. and allows for CC of a Glock 23 WITH laser light combo.. good quality item..

I've been through several classes with my paddle holster and never had a problem. Most of the classes have had me rolling around on the ground at some point.

I guess it all depends on the make and design of the holster and paddle.

I've been through several classes with my paddle holster and never had a problem. Most of the classes have had me rolling around on the ground at some point.

I guess it all depends on the make and design of the holster and paddle.

even if 9 out of 10 people have the same experience as you.. facts are facts..

a paddle holster slips on and can come off.. one through the belt can't.. when just shooting at the range I have found few setups that beat a nice instructor belt coupled with a good belt loop holster.. as it physically can not co me off..

not doubting your experience.. just saying...

range use IMO is no reason to use a paddle holster.. put it on the belt and have it be nice and solid..

unless you forgot to wear a belt that day. ;)

I view range use as very casual unless you are there to practice a very specific type of shooting. Some days i bring a universal paddle to the outdoor range just to be able to keep one of several pistols i brought that day handily by my side as i wander around the field. It does not require any belt but will accommodate one if its there with the build it belt hook system so commonly employed on paddles that add extra stability. Its more or less a convenient place to hang the gun so it doesn't need to be anchored so strongly.

Other days i bring my very specific, belt-mounted match rig to practice drawing. Its as solid as a rock but my retention is set rather loose so it will never pose a problem.

IMHO, i think the only thing you cna say with any certainty is that you should use the right tool for the job. You have to define your needs first before we can all say what is good or bad. I'm not going to wander around the woods with a ghost holster, nor would i rock a super-tuck at a IPSC match.