Ray Ray

What's a Troll?

Trolling

What everyone has posted so far is correct in one sense or another. What people fail to realize is that there are different kinds of trolls. Some just do it to be dbags, some do it because they have nothing better to do and others ask a controversial question to see what happens in the community. The last troll doesn't do it because he's bored or annoying, he just wants to make people realize that they know nothing outside of their own world that have made for them selves. He/she uses that tactic to wake people up and try to inform them about events that are happening under his nose.

I troll when I'm bored and have nothing better to do, I just don't troll forums.

he just wants to make people realize that they know nothing outside of their own world that have made for them selves.

That's an assumption made by young people...that whoever they're talking to "Just doesn't get it maannnnn, it's a big conspiracy, the government is going to round you up and put you in internment camps man!!!! Corporations act all corporationny and like steal all your stuff! Power to the people MAAANN!"

That's an assumption made by young people...that whoever they're talking to "Just doesn't get it maannnnn, it's a big conspiracy, the government is going to round you up and put you in internment camps man!!!! Corporations act all corporationny and like steal all your stuff! Power to the people MAAANN!"

Believe it or not, its not just young people. Another forum I visit (lets say it involves conspiracies and 'end of the world' types) that are always going on about that stuff. Honestly I don't believe in any of it but there are many there over the age of thirty that believe FEMA camps are going up and we'll all be corralled like cattle for the government's agenda. No lie. They lack the ability to see past their own ideas into whats really happening. They just harp on FEMA camps this and FEMA camps that.

But I digress, that comment I made was for forums that are already to high strung for their own good, like religion and politics. Most only see what they want to see, and only hear what they want to hear. Thats why trolls, well troll. To rile those people up, to make them upset that they were insulted over something they believe even though its so far fetched.

Believe it or not, its not just young people. Another forum I visit (lets say it involves conspiracies and 'end of the world' types) that are always going on about that stuff. Honestly I don't believe in any of it but there are many there over the age of thirty that believe FEMA camps are going up and we'll all be corralled like cattle for the government's agenda. No lie. They lack the ability to see past their own ideas into whats really happening. They just harp on FEMA camps this and FEMA camps that.

But I digress, that comment I made was for forums that are already to high strung for their own good, like religion and politics. Most only see what they want to see, and only hear what they want to hear. Thats why trolls, well troll. To rile those people up, to make them upset that they were insulted over something they believe even though its so far fetched.

You also made an assumption. I've been on BBS systems since 1981. I was on Fidonet Ecos in 1984 through 1990. I was on CompuServe in the 90s on Ufology, conspiracy forums and to this day I'm on a Political/Ufo/Science/conspiracy/whatever forum as a staff member. There is nothing new under the sun. I've seen every possible troll. It's not nearly as clever, informative or earth shattering as you might believe it to be. Most of the time, it's young people preaching to other young people. I read "The president is going to suspend the constitution and declare himself dictator" when they were talking about Reagan. Trust me on this on, most of us that have been around forever online just roll our eyes when someone comes in to "shatter our world and wake us up maaaan". It's old, it's not original and it's not interesting, get over yourself and go jerk off somewhere and leave us alone. Not directed at you...just at trolls in general.

Opie? Anthony? Is that you guys?