s8n

Apocalyptic Opinions

SHTF Predictions  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Most likely apocalyptic event

• Nuclear Attack (Radiation)
    • Nuclear Attack ( EMP)
    • Biological Attack (Super Flu etc.)
    • Natural disaster ( Flood, Famine,etc.)
    • Economic Collapse
    • Zombie , Undead, Alien attack

Well, I voted for economic collapse, but I don't think that will bring the end of civilization as a collective. Maybe the contemporary, advanced civilizations, but humans would persist and continue forward-- regardless of what is thrown at them.

Short of an ELE (where everything is literally cooked on the planet, including the smallest bacteria), the human species has endured quite a bit... reformed civ dates back roughly 10,000 years, with written history being roughly 5,000 (give or take a couple hundred). The oldest known human fossil (from off the top of my head) is roughly 3.2 million years old... and, after some quick Googling, scientific studies show that the Earth is roughly 4.567 billion years old.

Seeing how there has been numerous events such as large foreign objects striking the planet; super volcanoes that have erupted and done unfathomable damage (food for thought, three super volcanoes in NA alone); and freezing and flooding of different regions (as well as other events tied to the natural process)... it could be that the human species dates back even further, again enduring quite a bit through the millions of years.

So, yea, contemporary civilization is fragile, and like Dan said, it would take a perfect storm to really rock the deck of cards (my money is on fresh water shortage being a catalyst). But as a whole? Nah, I don't see much that could ever wipe out humans as a whole.

Well, I voted for economic collapse, but I don't think that will bring the end of civilization as a collective. Maybe the contemporary, advanced civilizations, but humans would persist and continue forward-- regardless of what is thrown at them.

im pretty sure he meant the fall of society, not the end of human life. if he was talking the end of all human life, the choices should have been a massive meteor strike, global nuclear war, man made virus with 100% infection rate, etc.

Anybody watch "The Road"? Awesome movie.

I personally think it's going to be an economic collapse which may cause famine since majority of people are incapable of producing for themselves anymore. We may or may not get some other elements from the above list as a desperate attempt by governments to retain control but I'm not betting on it. I think it will just slowly bleed (economically) towards worse and worse until it finally fails.

Parts of the world (or various countries) will be left in disarray and parts will get organized into a nanny cities or states by the remains of the governments. Something like in Babylon AD or Children of Men movies.

As we're already witnessing, food prices are soaring, all courtesy of inflation and before we know it, people may be in lines waiting for a handout. Only there may not be any. Times are much different than in the 30s. People back then knew how to make things and weren't lazy.

• Like 1

when looking for the end sometimes we miss the obvious.. to sit back.. and look for a grand finally of sorts is a miss IMO.. I don't personally think that anything that substantial will happen... we have a tendency to judge the world as we know it based off of what we find to be the norm (the US being a super power of sorts.. living the life.. driving our SUV to the store.. picking up dinner.. and so on..) what we are missing is the obvious.. and we miss it because it is right in front of our eyes.. the "end" as we like to put it has already begun to happen.. the "end" is less about societies collective collapse.. and more about shifts in society.. at one point the people in nation A were king.. they had all the gadgets of the time.. several hundred years later those people are dead and people in a different land experienced a surge in wealth.. power.. and technology..

we (the US) as a society are burning out.. being replaced by other larger producers... our "credit" doesn't go as far as it used to.. and our money is no longer considered gold on the world stage.. if we continue to indulge in the practices that we partake in (shifting production abroad.. redistributing wealth through "welfare".. and so on)we will further slip into a lower and lower status.. until we are as someone put it the other day "the richest third world nation" in the world.. I am starting to think less and less that there will be a bang.. or a flash.. it will be far more subtle... so subtle you never physically see it..

just in point.. take the enormous cut backs in civil service.. law enforcement.. fire departments.. etc.. and now envision a far more catastrophic version of Katrina... all the little problems will converge and create larger ones... instead of rebuilding from things like that in months and years.. it will now take decades and people will never "catch up"..

crumbling bankrupt towns.. filled with poor hungry people.. things will pile up and pile up.. there will likely be a play by the government to retain a certain standard of living (for them).. this will likely further divide the controlling class and the working class.. which will in turn create even more problems..

I don't live my life worried about this stuff.. and I certainly don't preach it in a sense that I KNOW.. no one really knows.. but if you just look at the world around you.. and the ever changing status of countries and the populations contained within.. and the increasingly common financial situations experienced around the world.. it seems obvious to me that not only will we NOT remain "number 1" much longer.. but we will be lucky to continue life in a manner in which we are a custom to..

• Like 1

People posting on the internets about the end of civilization

AGREED! But most likely greed by a few will continue to pressure the middle class to be poor and part with their last pennies as they attempt to reposes everything we own as Americans. Once you get a bunch of idle pissed off people who cant work and dont have criminal tendancies yet have no hope left in this land, then we will see the weight being lost, the faces shaven clean, and all out overthrow of the corporate system. Right now we are governed by a set of rules that allow corporations to legislate and give us just enough freedom to buy their crap.

Its going to take a few years, but economic collapse is pretty much certain.

But dont think about buying groceries with that 1/10 gold coin, the cashier will just give you the groceries, and pocket the coin....

AGREED! But most likely greed by a few will continue to pressure the middle class to be poor and part with their last pennies as they attempt to reposes everything we own as Americans. Once you get a bunch of idle pissed off people who cant work and dont have criminal tendancies yet have no hope left in this land, then we will see the weight being lost, the faces shaven clean, and all out overthrow of the corporate system. Right now we are governed by a set of rules that allow corporations to legislate and give us just enough freedom to buy their crap.

Its going to take a few years, but economic collapse is pretty much certain.

But dont think about buying groceries with that 1/10 gold coin, the cashier will just give you the groceries, and pocket the coin....

:)

Once you get a bunch of idle pissed off people who cant work and dont have criminal tendancies yet have no hope left in this land, then we will see the weight being lost, the faces shaven clean, and all out overthrow of the corporate system

Yeah man! Only the government should employ people! Cut open that goose, there's endless golden eggs in there!

The upper management at Goldman sucks should be drug out in shackles and hanged in the street. Thereafter, the building should be imploded and the ground below salted. The computers should be erased and any former member should be exiled from any government position.

The upper management at Goldman sucks should be drug out in shackles and hanged in the street. Thereafter, the building should be imploded and the ground below salted. The computers should be erased and any former member should be exiled from any government position.

The building should be removed as the ground below it once housed 'Lovelace Tavern' dating back to the 1700's...you can still see parts of the foundation under goldmans building in lower NYC....They are all in government positions...