JackDaWack

Remington 870 express

He guys im looking into purchasing a remington 870 express tactical and i was wondering if i could strip it down and smooth out the internals to get the wingmaster quality. I've herd a couple differnt things regarding the express. First being that the internals or atleast some of them are plastic, but i have also herd that they are the same parts at the wingmaster just a little rougher. I was also wondering if it would be possible to buy a 26" barrel and swap it in and out. I've seen mixed reviews on the express but it fits my budget. Also if i remove the muzzle break/choke can i leave the threads exposed or do i need to have something screwed on?

Take this with a grain of salt but an express will do whatever you ask of it. Yes, a wingmaster has a little bit better quality and machining but an 870 is still an 870.

As far as you swapping out barrels it's pretty easy and that's what makes an 870 such a great platform.

And for your last question, I do believe you need to have something on the end of your threaded barrel or the threads will be ruined. I could be wrong on though.

You must have a choke in place over the threads. If you want no choke effect on the shot, get a cyl bore (0% restriction) choke and put it in.

870 express is more of a matt parkerized finish and the wingmaster was polish blued, you will not be able to replicate that yourself. Also the machining is of higher quality and the trigger guard is plastic on the express. Some expresses (mine included) have sticky extraction issues due to careless finish application on the barrel but a chamber hone (or a brake hone, so I hear) makes short work of that.

I have somewhere between 15-20 thousand rounds though mine with just the sticky shell problem which was fixed right away with a hone. Now I believe its time to change my extractor spring as it lost alot of tension and wont extract every now and then (but will if I put a little preassure on it, or take it out and clean it frequently). Considering the amount of rounds through the gun, thats normal.

Some expresses (mine included) have sticky extraction issues due to careless finish application on the barrel but a chamber hone (or a brake hone, so I hear) makes short work of that.

I have somewhere between 15-20 thousand rounds though mine with just the sticky shell problem which was fixed right away with a hone.

Glenn, I had this very issue a few months ago. Mine would lock up shooting a certain brand of birdshot. What has to be done to fix this?

gotta pick up this

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=147884

and hone oil

Then chuck it in a drill, mark where your chamber ends, slather in oil, and carefully work it in/out. Do a little bit then clean it out and you should be good to go. If not, just repeat until it is good. If you want I can do it for you, I still have the hone and oil floating around

I was also wondering if it would be possible to buy a 26" barrel and swap it in and out.

It's easy to swap out barrels, but I am not sure how the factory magazine extension on the 870 Express Tactical (thats one of the 7+1 models right?) is going to factor into the swap. You might have to take the extension off? I don't have much experience with the extensions, so hopefully someone who does will comment on this. Also, if you get the model with the Ghost Ring sights (which I believe the current production Express Tacticals have) the rear sight is on the reciever itself, and would still be present after a barrel swap. Remington makes a 7+1 round HD model that is similar (and cheaper!) without the ghost ring sights too, but I believe it has a cylinder bore, not the door breaching choke (or any remchokes). Cabela's sells a special (Cabela's only) HD/field combo that is 4+1, and comes with an 18.5" barrel with the door breaching choke, and a 26" VR barrel.

If you're interested in tactical 870's, check out this website: http://aiptactical.com/Build_Your_Weapon.html Yes, they build custom 870's, but somewhere on the website (which I can't find at the moment) they explain the exact differences between an 870P (police model) and an Express (besides being built in a dedicated part of the factory, there are several kep differences, but most are parts you can swap out yourself). A Wingmaster is a little different than an 870P, but it might help with figuring out what you want to change/improve on your 870. They also tell you flat out that while they build great custom stuff, an 870 Express HD is a great, durable shotgun that will serve you well if you can't or don't want to buy a custom gun. I appreciated their honestly :)

I'll be shopping for an 870 Wingmaster Magnum. I like the wood.

New or used? JGsales has some used wingmasters, police, and express 870s for a decent price. You can always build one up.

Was watching the Outdoor Channel last night, "Wednesday Night at the Range, and they had a segment about the Remington 870 Nitro home defense tactical shotgun. Does anyone have one, looked at one, shot one, to give us some comments or thoughts. I am torn between the classic wood Wingmaster ($650) with a 28" barrel and something for home use with an 18" barrel.

Your thoughts?

Was watching the Outdoor Channel last night, "Wednesday Night at the Range, and they had a segment about the Remington 870 Nitro home defense tactical shotgun. Does anyone have one, looked at one, shot one, to give us some comments or thoughts. I am torn between the classic wood Wingmaster ($650) with a 28" barrel and something for home use with an 18" barrel.

Your thoughts?

How about a Wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel and a scope?

What's a slug and what about being able to change to a regular barrel? Wouldn't buckshot be better for a home defense weapon?

Well, you could certainly run whatever barrel or shot you want.

It's just that I have a 20" slug barrel Wingmaster that I'm ready to sell. :declare:

You can go the two-barrel route as many here do, but I like to have dedicated firearms for a set purpose.

JGsales has a bunch of different 870s for sale that are used and begging to be tricked out.

My vote, any 870 tactical model will do.

Well, you could certainly run whatever barrel or shot you want.

It's just that I have a 20" slug barrel Wingmaster that I'm ready to sell. :declare:

Malsua, thanks for the offer. I decided to buy an HD tactical version with an 18" barrel and will look for one with Remy's 3 choke system and a 28" barrel so I can use it for small game as well as target shooting.