Justo911

just bought a new glock 19 g4...

Clean and lube it.

Nope! It should be perfect right out of the box. Just put a dry patch through a new GLOCK and go to town.

Make sure the magazine is fully seated and snap caps are not the best to test with because they get nicks on them.

DON'T test with live rounds unless you are in a safe area like at the range.

Test it at the range and if you have a problem PM me.

Its a GLOCK. It won't break. You can pull the trigger on an empty chamber. Throw the snap caps away. :icon_e_biggrin: This ain't no nickel plated sissy pistol.

ah yes... it aint one of those da/sa where they work and you dont need to cycle the slide. =P

btw, great gun, enjoy it.

i did clean and lube it up a bit and that seemed to help a tad...i guess i'm just bein a lil sissy and babying the gun too much lol...man some of you guys know how to make a noobie feel like a lil b lol...thanks for the help ya'll...man cant wait to shoot this bad boy!

Go to a meetup or an event on here and just say your new and would like to learn how this works. Trust me, everyone will want to give you their super duper tips on how to hold it, what ammo to use, how to clean it, and what NOT to do.

Welcome aboard homie.

Yeah, it's an RTF. I hate you even more. jk

Since you've already stated your newb status, I'm gonna give you a few little pieces of advice. First is buy a bunch of extra magazines, the more the merrier. Second, see about putting a pair of quality sights on your Glock. The ones that GLock come with are plastic and not very good. I have 2 Glock 19s and both are wearing some form of night sights.

Yeah, it's an RTF. I hate you even more. jk

Since you've already stated your newb status, I'm gonna give you a few little pieces of advice. First is buy a bunch of extra magazines, the more the merrier. Second, see about putting a pair of quality sights on your Glock. The ones that GLock come with are plastic and not very good. I have 2 Glock 19s and both are wearing some form of night sights.

any site you recommend me for buying extra mags? yeah i was looking into some night sights but so many options. which do you have? is switching the sights something i could do or do i gotta take it to a gun smith or something? annnnnnd what's RTF? lol

RTF- Rough Textured Frame

I have a set of XS 24/7 Big Dot night sights on my Gen 3 and Trijicon three-dot night sights on my Gen 1.

As far as magazines go, check the supporting vendors here but I've used Midway, Brownells and CheaperThanDirt more times than my wife will EVER know.

I ordered the sights through Caso's in Jersey City and they mounted them for me for free. It's something that I'm sure I could've done, but I'm not big on breaking my toys since I'm an idiot.

any site you recommend me for buying extra mags? yeah i was looking into some night sights but so many options. which do you have? is switching the sights something i could do or do i gotta take it to a gun smith or something? annnnnnd what's RTF? lol

Glock magazines are extremely common... you can buy them in just about any gun shop or catalog. Stick with factory mags for now (some people do use Korean made (KCI) mags for practice... YMMV. I'd stick with OEM/factory mags to start). Shop around for a good price ($25 is average to good), factoring in any shipping, where you need to buy other stuff from (combining shipping), and any coupons you may have (MidwayUSA.com usually has some promo codes available).

While I'm not a huge fan of the standard plastic Glock factory sights, I don't think you need to replace them right away either... shoot your new aquisition for a while, get comfortable with it, look at what sights others are using (and what you like and can see well), and then decide. The sight that came on your gun will work fine, are plenty durable for the average person, and are not any less accurate than aftermarket sights.

You CAN install your own sights... but for best results you need a tool that costs about $100 (whether you COULD do it without the tool depends on the sights, but I wouldn't try it, especially with tritium sights that could break), as well as some odds and ends (smaller tools, loctight, etc). How easy it is depends on the sights. I installed my XS Big Dots myself and it was fast and easy. My father installed my Heinie Slant Pro rear sight (different pistol) and it required some fitting and filing to get it in place. Both sets came out great, but we already have the tools to do it, and my father is experienced with these things (I just borrowed the tool and followed the directions, but I chose the easier sights to install).

Many places that sell sights (gun shops, some catalogs or websites, such as CPWSA.COM) also offer an installation service. This may be well worth the cost unless you plan on changing a lot of sights or you can easily borrow the tools needed. You may also be able to get someone from the board to help you or do it for you if you ask.

Clean is good, but you don't want to over lubricate your Glock, or put anything, ever, in the firing pin channel. Glocks like to be run relatively dry, and while dirty isn't great, you'd have to practically soak it in mud to get one to fail. Just field strip it, clean it up, and sparingly lubricate a few key points. Here's a video that shows where to lube...

DO make sure the magazines are firmly seated and locked into the pistol, no need to be gentle with them. When you rack the slide, let it slam closed. If the slide is locked open, you can either use the slide release or rack it closed. Either way, let it slam closed, don't ease it closed. You will not harm the pistol. My 19's slide once took a flight downrange at Cherry Ridge (I was not shooting it, it was empty and I believe being disassembled at the time, not by me, but anyway...). It bounced a few times, and suffered no ill effects. It's fired thousands of rounds since and it's 110% reliable, with barely a nick on it.

Where do you usually shoot? If you're having problems with your pistol, see if you can meet up with some more experienced shooters from the board or make friends with a range master at your range when it's not too busy. Glocks should (and usually do) shoot great straight out of the box, so a few tips and some practice will probably have it running great in no time!

• Like 3