Soju

Shooting on your property

Now I am assuming there are probably specific town laws/ordnances or whatever, but in general, assuming you aren't disturbing anyone, can you shoot on your own property? Does ownership vs renting matter? New Jersey has an absurd way about figuring out their laws. I know most states have restrictions like you can't shoot across roads, within so many feet of an occupied dwelling or building, so far from streets, etc, but what are NJ's? Does having a FPID matter? Why is this state so effed? I can't wait to move out of here. I'm seriously concidering a 45-60 min plus commute to work just to live in PA because of all the bs here.

Honestly all I want to do is shoot my .22 in the woods behind my house. I know for a fact that shooting 7.62x39 gets the cops called...you know, from what someone told me.

Citation vjf?

More info:

I'm renting.

I have no FPID.

I hate NJ.

...Why is this state so effed?...

It's the punishment we bear for having elected total a$$hats as governors, including, but certainly not limited to:

William Franklin, the loyalist illegitimate son of Benjamin Franklin

Woodrow Wilson, king of the 20th century progressives (Barry Soetoro is king of the 21st century class)

and

James Joseph Florio, who as an amateur boxer, had his brain bounced around in his skull so much that he lost all sense of reason and called for a permanent "assault weapon" ban that served as the model for the failed and expired 1994 Bill (let me stick my cigar in there) Clinton version.

Honestly all I want to do is shoot my .22 in the woods behind my house. I know for a fact that shooting 7.62x39 gets the cops called...you know, from what someone told me.

Citation vjf?

More info:

I'm renting.

I have no FPID.

I hate NJ.

You have firearms without FID?

In any case, discharge laws are there for a reason. When discharging firearms you have to know what is behind the target as well. Do you know for a fact who is behind your yard? Is there a house within 100 yards of you? Do you have enough insurance in case a ricochet hits your neighbor?

Shooting in your backyard is all fine and dandy and you should be if you have the property for it and can do it safely.... but if you have an acre of land and a bunch of neighbors around, dont be stupid.

I haven't been able to find any State Statutes regarding where, when, how, and what is required or not to shoot on your own property. If anyone knows the statute number , it would be helpful.

That being said I know there are town ordinances, and where there aren't any, the police I'm sure will come up with creative ones if they think things are unsafe. Its pretty tricky in such a densely populated state, you would be taking on a ton of liability if you sneezed and sent a flyer cruisin over your backstop if there isn't sufficient safe distances to populated areas.

IMO get a pellet rifle of the non-magnum variety. They are still nothing to toy around with, but its much easier to be safe with them.

You have firearms without FID?

In any case, discharge laws are there for a reason. When discharging firearms you have to know what is behind the target as well. Do you know for a fact who is behind your yard? Is there a house within 100 yards of you? Do you have enough insurance in case a ricochet hits your neighbor?

Shooting in your backyard is all fine and dandy and you should be if you have the property for it and can do it safely.... but if you have an acre of land and a bunch of neighbors around, dont be stupid.

I was forced to this state by Uncle Sam, I am a legal resident of NH, and thus purchased all my firearms there and brought them here legally. So yes, I have many firearms without any sort of ridiculous FID or any other stupid unnecessary document. I'm sorry for you that have to waist your time to acquire such bs.

There is an area in the woods that is like a gully/valley in which is recessed into the area around it, perfect backstop. A .22 isn't going anywhere. Within 100 yards? No idea. Maybe, I'm not a friggin surveyor.

I haven't been able to find any State Statutes regarding where, when, how, and what is required or not to shoot on your own property. If anyone knows the statute number , it would be helpful.

That being said I know there are town ordinances, and where there aren't any, the police I'm sure will come up with creative ones if they think things are unsafe. Its pretty tricky in such a densely populated state, you would be taking on a ton of liability if you sneezed and sent a flyer cruisin over your backstop if there isn't sufficient safe distances to populated areas.

IMO get a pellet rifle of the non-magnum variety. They are still nothing to toy around with, but its much easier to be safe with them.

Thanks Dan. That is pretty much what I figured, knowing how bad up this state is.

Unrelated question, is .22lr something that requires a FPID to purchase in NJ?

I was forced to this state by Uncle Sam, I am a legal resident of NH, and thus purchased all my firearms there and brought them here legally. So yes, I have many firearms without any sort of ridiculous FID or any other stupid unnecessary document. I'm sorry for you that have to waist your time to acquire such bs.

There is an area in the woods that is like a gully/valley in which is recessed into the area around it, perfect backstop. A .22 isn't going anywhere. Within 100 yards? No idea. Maybe, I'm not a friggin surveyor.

Thanks Dan. That is pretty much what I figured, knowing how fucked up this state is.

Even a BB gun does.

Only airsoft/paintball do not need FID.

Even a BB gun does.

Only airsoft/paintball do not need FID.

???????

Does and do not what???

Not sure what you are saying. But any firearm legal in NJ I can have in NJ legally without and documentation at all. Period.

Thanks Dan. That is pretty much what I figured, knowing how bad up this state is.

If I remember correctly, a .22LR can travel over 1 mile, perhaps up to 1.5 miles. So, yeah....a .22 will definitely go somewhere. Of course, in a recessed wooded area, shot by an experienced, practiced marksman and barring a freak ricochet, there's little chance of finding out how far that .22LR will go. I still prefer established ranges, though.

Also, if you want to purchase .22LR ammunition within this "great" state, you'll need an FPID. If you order it online, you may not need an FPID to purchase and have it delivered. It's another thing as to what happens to you if you're found to be in possession of the ammunition, though.

You need to get an idea. How would you feel if your neighbor said the same thing, shooting in your direction? You may not be a surveyor but if you aren't sure of what you're shooting at and what's behind it, you're no responsible gun owner either.

• Like 2

Which town is this? The gully you speak of is probably owned by someone or something, unless its part of the property that you are renting. Are you renting a freestanding house or in an apt.bldg?

As was stated earlier state law is 450ft from a bldg/road/train track/power line, etc. Local ordinances may not exist or may be a complete no discharge area. It varies depending on how built up the area is. As far as PA, you certainly would be better off there as far as firearms acquisition, but many areas of eastern PA within a reasonable commute to MDL are very built up as well.

Maks gave you the simplest answer.. AFAIK there is no "state law" regarding discharging a firearm on your property.. there are however a million and one local laws regarding that.. there is at least one town that I shoot on someones property.. there is property.. a roughly 8 foot berm.. and then state woods behind that.. there is no local PD so I called the state police who patrol that area to make sure it was ok.. I also informed them that I would be shooting.. I did that in case they got any calls.. they said that was all fine and if anyone complained they would just send an officer out and ask us to stop.. I have yet to have a problem..

the key is your local municipality.. find out the law in detail..

Maks gave you the simplest answer.. AFAIK there is no "state law" regarding discharging a firearm on your property.. there are however a million and one local laws regarding that.. there is at least one town that I shoot on someones property.. there is property.. a roughly 8 foot berm.. and then state woods behind that.. there is no local PD so I called the state police who patrol that area to make sure it was ok.. I also informed them that I would be shooting.. I did that in case they got any calls.. they said that was all fine and if anyone complained they would just send an officer out and ask us to stop.. I have yet to have a problem..

Shhhh...

Also, if you want to purchase .22LR ammunition within this "great" state, you'll need an FPID. If you order it online, you may not need an FPID to purchase and have it delivered. It's another thing as to what happens to you if you're found to be in possession of the ammunition, though.

I love how you can by centerfire rifle rounds and shotgun slugs no problem, but little baby rimfire rounds require a FPID, what a joke! And the FPID is for purchase, not possession.

Thanks for a good response.

You need a FID card for .22 because it can be used in a handgun. Stupid? Yes.

If the gully is on your neighbors property wouldn't hurt to go ask.

Also in this paranoid age where people freak out when someone knocks on their door you might want to go meet and chat with your neighbors. Introduce yourself if you haven't already. Tell them that you plan on shooting in the woods once in awhile with a small rifle. Assure them it won't ever fall onto their property. Then make sure it doesn't.

Also look up the laws for noise in your town. You might be able to discharge weapons but you might not be able to make noise until a certain time of day. Plus be courteous. Don't go firing off rounds at 9 at night. Might annoy people.

You might want to find out the zoning for the property, and talk with the owner as well. If you take one step off the property with a firearm loaded or not ur asking for trouble.

A back stop will not be something you just find naturally occuring. You need to make sure bullets have dirt to hit and theres no rocks to richochete off.

Which town is this? The gully you speak of is probably owned by someone or something, unless its part of the property that you are renting. Are you renting a freestanding house or in an apt.bldg?

As was stated earlier state law is 450ft from a bldg/road/train track/power line, etc. Local ordinances may not exist or may be a complete no discharge area. It varies depending on how built up the area is. As far as PA, you certainly would be better off there as far as firearms acquisition, but many areas of eastern PA within a reasonable commute to MDL are very built up as well.

There is no state requirement to be 450ft from anything when TARGET shooting that I'm aware of. There is a requirement to be 450ft from buildings or a school playground when HUNTING with a firearm without written consent of the occupants of the building.

There are a myriad of municipal regulations that regulate discharge of firearms and/or noise. A lot of rural towns do not have any ordinances against discharging so the police can only ASK you to stop if they get a complaint unless you are creating a hazard (improper backstop, shooting in an unsafe direction, etc.).

• Agree 1

I was recently shooting on a friend's property. He has about 60 acres. We were shooting 9's, a 38, and my friend's 10 year old was getting in some practice with his 20 ga shotgun. About an hour in, were heard someone yelling in the woods. Turned out to be the local police who got a complaint that some was shooting a "machine gun" in the woods. After looking at where we were shooting, they said they had no problem with what or where we were shooting, but they'd have to come back if they got another complaint.

There is no state requirement to be 450ft from anything when TARGET shooting that I'm aware of. There is a requirement to be 450ft from buildings or a school playground when HUNTING with a firearm without written consent of the occupants of the building.

There are a myriad of municipal regulations that regulate discharge of firearms and/or noise. A lot of rural towns do not have any ordinances against discharging so the police can only ASK you to stop if they get a complaint unless you are creating a hazard (improper backstop, shooting in an unsafe direction, etc.).

This is fact I can say for sure.

Call the Chief of Police in your town and ask if they have a discharge law.

My town does not :icon_mrgreen:

• Agree 1

I have a summer house in Pa. approx 6 acres on the left side and backyard,and nothing but woods beyond that.But theres a house (empty for years) about 50 feet on the right side of my house,then the houses start about a block away.Used to do plinking and clay shooting all the time.One day I decided to try out my new .223. Let loose with 3-4 40rd mags in a matter of seconds,20 minutes later 2 Pa state troopers pull up,saw the AR, barrel still warm.Called to check serial #, started writing ticket.No discharging a firearm within 150 yards of any habitable structure,empty or not,and no shooting in a residential neighborhood,period. Keyword-residential neighborhood Cost me $400.00

A quick call to the township will let you know about any discharge regulations.

I called when I began to close on my house in Randolph. They were very nice but politely stated that they have a "No discharge" law probably among 90% of NJ.

If they allow discharge, you would need to meet their requirements such as x amount of yards from any building (including your own).

started writing ticket.No discharging a firearm within 150 yards of any habitable structure,empty or not,and no shooting in a residential neighborhood,period. Keyword-residential neighborhood Cost me $400.00

Honestly......I don't know if you are damn lucky that those cops just wrote you a ticket, or if I'm just too used to NJ's damn gun laws. Either way, I would say that $400 isn't that bad of a deal.

I think it all depends.

Most towns in NJ, as a previous poster stated, have a 'no discharge' law while others have a few requirements (many townships up north in Sussex/Warren Cty). It's incredible how loud and how far the sound of a gun being fired goes.

I'm sure it also depends on the officers responding to the call. If you live in Somerville and are popping off a couple rounds in your backyard with a pistol, I'm sure you'll be arrested and fined. But if you're on a farm or in woods with lots of acreage and plinking some targets or steel with a proper backstop, you might be told to either stop or make sure to follow the gun discharge laws of that township if you weren't already.

I shoot at a few different properties, some with only a couple acres of land to a farm having about 50acres, but as I said it all depends. The one with a few acres is owned by a retired LEO so that is ultimately excluded from any laws. All areas we shoot do have a proper backstop and we try to be as safe as we can.

The one with a few acres is owned by a retired LEO so that is ultimately excluded from any laws.

Hmmmm... and you would think they would know better, yup cops totally don't have to follow the law, i mean there not the ones who dedicated there life to prosecuting those who brake it, i'm amazed when people write sh*t like that, but your right, it is reality.