Soju

Shooting on your property

Hmmmm... and you would think they would know better, yup cops totally don't have to follow the law, i mean there not the ones who dedicated there life to prosecuting those who brake it, i'm amazed when people write sh*t like that, but your right, it is reality.

There was a bit of sarcasm behind that statement, but it's the internet so it's difficult to perceive.

I agree with you though. I was trying to say if an officer was ever dispatched to his (retired LEO) property, I'm sure they would have a chat and the patrol officer would not cite him for anything. I can't complain though, I shoot there every once in a while and it gives me a chance to have fun backyard-shooting style!

I have a summer house in Pa. approx 6 acres on the left side and backyard,and nothing but woods beyond that.But theres a house (empty for years) about 50 feet on the right side of my house,then the houses start about a block away.Used to do plinking and clay shooting all the time.One day I decided to try out my new .223. Let loose with 3-4 40rd mags in a matter of seconds,20 minutes later 2 Pa state troopers pull up,saw the AR, barrel still warm.Called to check serial #, started writing ticket.No discharging a firearm within 150 yards of any habitable structure,empty or not,and no shooting in a residential neighborhood,period. Keyword-residential neighborhood Cost me $400.00

Something's not right. The 150 yards is a hunting regulation, not for target practice, and that is only unless you have permission from the homes within 150 yards. I'm also pretty sure there is no state law against shooting in a residential neighborhood. I wonder if they either dicked you or they were enforcing township ordinances for some reason. I certainly could be wrong on this, but I have looked into it many times as have others and never heard of any of that (except the hunting reg).

There was a bit of sarcasm behind that statement, but it's the internet so it's difficult to perceive.

I agree with you though. I was trying to say if an officer was ever dispatched to his (retired LEO) property, I'm sure they would have a chat and the patrol officer would not cite him for anything. I can't complain though, I shoot there every once in a while and it gives me a chance to have fun backyard-shooting style!

I was just ranting.. life ain't fair no matter how you look at it, i did notice a bit of sarcasm in your post lol, but i also saw the truth behind it, and for what its worth i guess milk the opportunity. not trying to go off topic or start a bashing thread so i'll leave most of which we already know at the door.

Something's not right. The 150 yards is a hunting regulation, not for target practice, and that is only unless you have permission from the homes within 150 yards. I'm also pretty sure there is no state law against shooting in a residential neighborhood. I wonder if they either dicked you or they were enforcing township ordinances for some reason. I certainly could be wrong on this, but I have looked into it many times as have others and never heard of any of that (except the hunting reg).

That was my thought, but I'm certainly no expert on PA law. I know I have done target shooting within the city limits of Reading (very close to the boundary of the next municipality). We were actually shooting across the neighbors property and into the farmers field behind that (with a large hill as a back stop), and I remember asking if the neighbor had a problem with us shooting across his property and was told that as long as we let him know he was fine with it (as was the farmer). This was all within 100 feet of the house we were at and the neighbors house. The cops never showed up to say anything in the many years this was going on.

That was my thought, but I'm certainly no expert on PA law. I know I have done target shooting within the city limits of Reading (very close to the boundary of the next municipality). We were actually shooting across the neighbors property and into the farmers field behind that (with a large hill as a back stop), and I remember asking if the neighbor had a problem with us shooting across his property and was told that as long as we let him know he was fine with it (as was the farmer). This was all within 100 feet of the house we were at and the neighbors house. The cops never showed up to say anything in the many years this was going on.

Well, people do that everywhere in PA. I have a Machinegun dealer that lets clients shoot outside his house and it is zoned residential. The reason I asked was because I was curious about ATF frowning on FFLs operating out of their homes and restrictions on corps. Was not asking with regard to discharge restrictions.

Hello guys,

I’m currently looking for a new property to reside in Burlington County. I would like to be able to target shoot at this property and want to be sure I’m not breaking any laws in doing so. 

So, from everything I’ve read, as long as I’m not hunting, I can be within 450 feet of another residence/building/etc. This is as long as the township does not have a no discharge ordinance. My question is this, does acreage matter? Do I have to have a 5+ acre property? Or can I shoot on something smaller such as a 1-2 acre property? This is assuming I have a safe backstop. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, JG-rn said:

Hello guys,

I’m currently looking for a new property to reside in Burlington County. I would like to be able to target shoot at this property and want to be sure I’m not breaking any laws in doing so. 

So, from everything I’ve read, as long as I’m not hunting, I can be within 450 feet of another residence/building/etc. This is as long as the township does not have a no discharge ordinance. My question is this, does acreage matter? Do I have to have a 5+ acre property? Or can I shoot on something smaller such as a 1-2 acre property? This is assuming I have a safe backstop. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

The only place you need to check for this information is the town ordinances the property is located in, and ever worse if there is a HOA.

I've since moved to a town where i can shoot from my back porch into a berm at the corner of my property. I hear gun shots all weekend from the other-side of our mountain where similar 2 acre properties are located.

AFAIK, no state laws exist that provided the restrictions you have asked about... and some towns like Vernon i think require permits for private shooting ranges... So you have to do a bit of homework