tjo124

Handgun as a Gift

You need a "Permit to Purchase" from your local Police Department. The transfer must go through a NJ dealer. She can ship it via FedEx or UPS Next Day Air, or deliver it in person. Contact the dealer first to make sure they are aware of this. All dealers charge different fees and have special requirements.

welcome.gif

I was given a Christmas Gift by my mother of a 9mm handgun. Nice gift!!! She lives in PA and purchased it legally in PA. What do I need to do to make this gun legally mine as a NJ resident?

If she already purchased it do what Paul says. And also make sure it is NJ legal, ie no "Large capacity" >15 round magazines.

If she hasn't made the purchase yet, the best way to do it is to send you money and you make the purchase yourself in state. A lot less hassles that way.

My wife gave me a 1911 for christmas, had to it shipped and it arrived December 23rd. One small problem, I didnt have a handgun permit. :( I am still waiting to pick it up. Thanks, Parsippany.

Apply for the permit tomorrow, heck apply for 3, I wish I did. Make sure you transfer it through a FFL.