ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 2/27/11

As a stage designer of stage 5 I welcome all constructive feedback. What specifically did you think suck about stage 5? :icon_e_biggrin:

Slav,

I think what some people did not like about your stage was all the far shots.

I liked it, found it challenging and being 1 of the 6 that shot it clean had no problems with it.

The only problem I had was in how slow I shot it. Could have been 5-8 seconds faster.

I applaud your stages and your continued contribution to our sport.

As the stage designer of stage 5 I welcome all constructive feedback. What specifically did you think "suck" about stage 5? :icon_e_biggrin:

Heh - yeah the stage was fine. I sucked bigtime at it. Need to work on the longer range shots. Welcome to the boards :)

As the stage designer of stage 5 I welcome all constructive feedback. What specifically did you think "suck" about stage 5? :icon_e_biggrin:

I think what he meant was that the distance was tough. The stage is challenging and for me anyway as a newbie to pistols, the distance gave me hell. Especially shooting a 9mm. I was hitting all the bottom of the targets. Forgot to adjust. It was a good stage design in my opinion.

Keep it coming.

Thanks.

Slav,

I think what some people did not like about your stage was all the far shots.

I liked it, found it challenging and being 1 of the 6 that shot it clean had no problems with it.

The only problem I had was in how slow I shot it. Could have been 5-8 seconds faster.

I applaud your stages and your continued contribution to our sport.

where's the brown noser smiley? ;)

Guys, am not at all sensitive to on this issue. ;)

The stage did suck. It was designed to suck. I'll tell you more - it was originally designed to suck even more! The gap between two walls in the middle had another wall suspended about 3 feet off the ground and you would have had to squat or kneel to shoot the targets through the middle. I pulled the wall when I saw a master class shooter struggle with acquiring targets.

The stage was designed as a challenge of accuracy vs speed. I think the maximum distance to the targets was about 20 yards or so. The stage turned out to be an eye opener for a whole lot of people, myself included. I ended up with 3 misses and a no-shoot and 40 seconds plus time. Not a performance I am proud of. But the trick of succeeding in this game is approaching it with no ego or preconceived expectations. Not to get overly Zen about it, but the main training tool for USPSA shooting is the ability to see what is rather what you want to see. All things that help you demolish incorrect perceptions are good. I believe that in that sense this stage was a success.

Interestingly enough I made all 6 hits at 25 yards on the classifier shooting a lot quicker than I did on stage 5. I am going to have some fun figuring out why that happened.

Slav

P.S. If you are sighted in at 15 yards your bullet drop at 25 is within about an inch. If you were hitting the bottom of the target, it was not because of the bullet drop.

The stage did suck. It was designed to suck. I'll tell you more - it was originally designed to suck even more! The gap between two walls in the middle had another wall suspended about 3 feet off the ground and you would have had to squat or kneel to shoot the targets through the middle. I pulled the wall when I saw a master class shooter struggle with acquiring targets.

The stage was designed as a challenge of accuracy vs speed. I think the maximum distance to the targets was about 20 yards or so. The stage turned out to be an eye opener for a whole lot of people, myself included. I ended up with 3 misses and a no-shoot and 40 seconds plus time. Not a performance I am proud of. But the trick of succeeding in this game is approaching it with no ego or preconceived expectations. Not to get overly Zen about it, but the main training tool for USPSA shooting is the ability to see what is rather what you want to see. All things that help you demolish incorrect perceptions are good. I believe that in that sense this stage was a success.

Interestingly enough I made all 6 hits at 25 yards on the classifier shooting a lot quicker than I did on stage 5. I am going to have some fun figuring out why that happened.

Slav

P.S. If you are sighted in at 15 yards your bullet drop at 25 is within about an inch. If you were hitting the bottom of the target, it was not because of the bullet drop.

slav,

Welcome to the forum.

Was the furthest target only 20 yards? For some damn reason it was very tough. I can keyhole shots at 15 on a good day, but yeah, was quite tough. Like you, did alot better on the classifier. lol. Was quite a challenging stage.

I was actually debating dropping to one knee to try to get a more stable shot. I didn't see anyone else do it so I didn't know if I could or not. I do know I need to work more on my aim at longer ranges.

I don't think (IMO) that dropping to 1 knee would help. If you have a solid shooting stance, grip, platform, and trigger discipline, it would not matter if you were shooting at 2 yards or 92 yards. It's all mental. At least that's what the voices tell me.

Slav

Stage did not suck. The stage at the 3gun match on the big pit was the definition of suck.

Slav

I'm blaming the bullets instead of my aim. Better for my ego ;)

• Like 1

slav,

Welcome to the forum.

Was the furthest target only 20 yards? For some damn reason it was very tough. I can keyhole shots at 15 on a good day, but yeah, was quite tough. Like you, did alot better on the classifier. lol. Was quite a challenging stage.

I think that pit is 25 yards and the stage was not set about 5 yards into the pit. Of course I could be off on the pit dimensions.

Huh. About what I expected. Stage 5 sucked.

Stage didn't suck, the shooters did. I count myself among them. NONE of those shouts should have been hard to get Cs or better on, yet somehow we made it so.

Yeah - I think it was more than 20 yards. More like 30... heh. I wish someone had taken a rangefinder to it....

Being familliar with the pit, it's about 30 yards to the end of the berm. If you were at the front of the box, you were probably between 26-28 as a rough guess.

Stage did not suck. The stage at the 3gun match on the big pit was the definition of suck.

BAH! Sacrilege! Ok, it did suck some. I share an office with the designer (I did pit 7 at the 3 gun), and we discussed it in depth after the fact. In retrospect forcing brokeback proone both strong side and weak side was probably a bad idea and it would have been better to make a single really low port facing the back berm with constrained space that would have forced an uncomfortable position at the end, but not a transition form side to side. Also, when we found more braces just before the match started, we should have taken the time to brace the walss for the starting port better.

BAH! Sacrilege! Ok, it did suck some. I share an office with the designer (I did pit 7 at the 3 gun), and we discussed it in depth after the fact. In retrospect forcing brokeback proone both strong side and weak side was probably a bad idea and it would have been better to make a single really low port facing the back berm with constrained space that would have forced an uncomfortable position at the end, but not a transition form side to side. Also, when we found more braces just before the match started, we should have taken the time to brace the walss for the starting port better.

Pit 7 at 3-gun? Man did that suck!

Actually my own stages at the 3-gun match probably sucked the worst. Next time I will only build one stage and make sure that its good. I had no complaints about any other stages. I just wish I could have finished that match without getting DQed with only one stage left to go.