Ray Ray

870 or 590A1

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

Mossberg 590AI for me for the sole reason that I own one and its a great shotgun. The 870 is pretty legendary but I have little experience w/ that shotty. It used to be that the Mossberg was alot cheaper then the 870 but now you can get the 870's for almost the same price.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system. ie Safety position, action, sights, ease of dissembly and use, aftermarket accesories, looks?

I'll start this

Safety, most will say the Mossberg is in a better position and it actually is. Although I really have no need for it.

Safety=Mossberg

Action, Remington by a landslide. It's almost too smooth. I like the Mossbergs action but compared to the 870 it lacks.

Action=Remington

Sights, Mossberg has ghost rings and the Remmy has a bead. Mossberg in a landslide. Not sure if sights are needed on a pump but it's on there none-the-less.

Sights=Mossberg

Ease of Dissembly and use, Remington has a winner there. You can have it apart quickly and change out the extension tube and barrel easily. The Mossberg takes a little bit longer for me, but it could be that I'm still learning.

Ease of Dissemly and use=Remington

Aftermarket accesories, TIE? Even though the 870 has been around forever and add-ons are never ending, the Mossberg has just as many. Whatever a company makes for one, they'll have something for the other.

Accesories= Tie

Looks, another TIE? Yeah, the 870 is gorgous and their wingmasters are perfect. But the 590A1 has a mean business look that is perfect. I like them both and it's up to you guys to decide.

Looks= Tie

So, it looks like it's a Tie. A tie? Well, the debate rages on.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system. ie Safety position, action, sights, ease of dissembly and use, aftermarket accesories, looks?

I'll start this

Safety, most will say the Mossberg is in a better position and it actually is. Although I really have no need for it.

Safety=Mossberg

Action, Remington by a landslide. It's almost too smooth. I like the Mossbergs action but compared to the 870 it lacks.

Action=Remington

Sights, Mossberg has ghost rings and the Remmy has a bead. Mossberg in a landslide. Not sure if sights are needed on a pump but it's on there none-the-less.

Sights=Mossberg

Ease of Dissembly and use, Remington has a winner there. You can have it apart quickly and change out the extension tube and barrel easily. The Mossberg takes a little bit longer for me, but it could be that I'm still learning.

Aftermarket accesories, TIE? Even though the 870 has been around forever and add-ons are never ending, the Mossberg has just as many. Whatever a company makes for one, they'll have something for the other.

Accesories= Tie

Looks, another TIE? Yeah, the 870 is gorgous and their wingmasters are perfect. But the 590A1 has a mean business look that is perfect. I like them both and it's up to you guys to decide.

Looks= Tie

Variety, Remington. Remington has 27 different models of the 870 available on their site, NOT including the 887.

Remington wins :icon_twisted:

Fixed your post for you Ray.

I'll start this

Safety=Mossberg

Action=Remington

Sights=Mossberg

Accesories= Tie

Looks= Tie

So, it looks like it's a Tie. A tie? Well, the debate rages on.

No one could say one is better. Plus everyone is biased towards one or the other.

I will say that I do prefer a bead to ghost rings by far. For me, a bead feels much more comfortable than trying to aim ghost rings.

I will say that I do prefer a bead to ghost rings by far. For me, a bead feels much more comfortable than trying to aim ghost rings.

I prefer the bead to ghost rings as well. Honestly, for a home defense gun, even the bead may be unnecessary. Looking down the top rail, if you're off by an inch or two, who cares with buckshot at 10 feet away? I don't have time to aim through ghost rings for a HD gun.

I understand that everyone has preferences, hence the little poll here. I will always be an 870 guy, that won't change. But my 590 is just as good. There I said it! You could make the argument that the 590 is more of a street/tactical gun and the 870 is more of a closet/under the bed gun since the 590 has sights and is a few inches longer than the 870. This is also why I want to run slugs in her, to see how far I could hit something and test it's accuracy out to say 100 yards. Fort Dix anyone?

One thing to remember is that 590A1's don't ONLY come with ghost ring sights... you can get them with a bead sight as well as 3 dot sights. Same goes for the 870... bead, ghost ring, and if I remember correctly, there are also some 3 dot versions.

LOL probably never... i already have enough shotguns :)

Sell the phony one (you know, it's the knock-off) and put the down payment on a real one. Come on Pete, you know it's the right thing to do.

:icon_lol: Say what you want about my NEF... it feels more solid (to me) than most "real" 870s I've held

I understand you defending one of your ponys in the stall. But come on, your smarter than that.

As I'm watching the vote tally go towards the Mossberg, I'm wondering if the votes being casted for the 590 are from 500 fans. The 500 is 2nd rate compared to the 870. Cast a vote for neither if you run a 500, benelli, winchester, or ithica.

"The 500 is 2nd rate compared to the 870" That significantly depends on the 870 model.... I prefer my 25yr old 870 to a new one. I prefer the mossy 500 over a new 870 express. I prefer a 870 police over a 500. I might take a 590A1 over the police. The FN TPS would be a GREAT shotgun if it didnt have a plastic trigger housing.

• Like 1

There are some really good pumps out there, the problem is is that the 3 most popular are 500s, 590s and the 870. There are so many models of each, and aftermarket add-ons that you could just buy the base gun and build from there.

"The 500 is 2nd rate compared to the 870" That significantly depends on the 870 model.... I prefer my 25yr old 870 to a new one. I prefer the mossy 500 over a new 870 express. I prefer a 870 police over a 500. I might take a 590A1 over the police. The FN TPS would be a GREAT shotgun if it didnt have a plastic trigger housing.

based on?

Are you asking me why I prefer my old 870 to new? Its not subjective at all. My old 870 is ALL metal compared to a new 870. There are no mim parts in it. A new 870 express vs an 870 police is the same difference. An 870 police is all metal and doesnt use mim parts. The only subjective part of the equation is prefference in operation. I prefer the safety location of the mossy as well as the loading chute. So I guess the salient point is to understand that the order I place these shotguns has strong ties to their construction. This directly relates to their reliability and durability with an eye on thier operation for my own personal preferences.