Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I just put in an application to Lawrence Twp for 3 P2P (I already have my FID).  The detective said 2-3 weeks so we'll see what happens ...

UPDATE:  Got the call Friday morning 10/28/16 that the permits were ready for pickup, that's 2 weeks and 2 days!   Hmmm now what to buy ...

after taking a long break from not buying firearms in this state, i decided to go down to my PD this afternoon (Linden) and turns out they've changed some things.  They claim I need to get electronic fingerprints and this is a requirement from the state.

Anyone know if this is bullshit?  I thought I read somewhere in the law it stated we don't have to get re-fingerprinted.  Also, I spent hundreds of dollars getting these same fingerprints, from the exact same place I would go for this, for work..  so why wouldn't they be able to use those?

after taking a long break from not buying firearms in this state, i decided to go down to my PD this afternoon (Linden) and turns out they've changed some things.  They claim I need to get electronic fingerprints and this is a requirement from the state.

Anyone know if this is bullshit?  I thought I read somewhere in the law it stated we don't have to get re-fingerprinted.  Also, I spent hundreds of dollars getting these same fingerprints, from the exact same place I would go for this, for work..  so why wouldn't they be able to use those?

Apparently they can't pull those for your record from other employers or methods of where you've gotten scanned from.  I had to go through and get fingerprinted, myself.   

Apparently they can't pull those for your record from other employers or methods of where you've gotten scanned from.  I had to go through and get fingerprinted, myself.   

Why do we need to get re-fingerprinted then?  It was never an issue in the past and is not a state requirement.  

Rick, I believe it's to have a scanned record. I believe it's $75, was less than $100.   I was a little pissed having done the same exact process, for TWIC which was $200+.

All boils down to yet another way to discourage hard working citizens from following through.  While lining pockets.  

Its unfortunate we've got to dance to the marinate,     

Fair Lawn has definitely improved its procedures. No more trying to get an appointment with a detective just to get the application (which included additional forms). Then making another appointment to return the completed application. Went to the municipal building and picked up the full packet from a nice woman at the police department. I completed the forms, all of them legal, and had my references complete their forms. I also had to do something online that cost $20---I believe it got the background check moving. Dropped everything back at the police station and within 2 weeks or so I had my three P2Ps! Fair Lawn has definitely improved their system. It was professional, friendly, and prompt. I was very impressed.

Lodi Borough - Initial FID + One Pistol Permit

Applied February 9th.

Fingerprints were done on the 14th. Handed them in on the 15th.

Reference letters were received by the 17th I believe.

Last reference letter was mailed out March 10th or 11th (buddy was busy).

Received permit on the 21st. 

Probably could have had it done in less than 30 days if everything went smoothly.

Anybody have recent FID/PP experiences in Flemington / Raritan Township?  (Hunterdon County)

My saga so far w/ Initial FID + One Pistol Permit Application:

3/9/17 - Submitted Application and $7 Check to PD

3/16/17 - Got Fingerprinted by MorphTrust

4/7/17 - Called for 4-week Update (Officer Not Available / Call back Monday 4/10)  :rolleyes:

4/10/17 - Spoke to LEO Campbell, said they were still waiting for my mental health form to come back, but everything else was in order.

4/12/17 - $7 check was deposited by PD.

5/8/17 - After emailing the PD Sergeant Camporeale I received the following response from Officer Campbell, "... It has been quite a busy year with other residents coming in and applying for FID cards and handgun permits. We did finish your background check and we did receive all of the necessary paperwork, we just need to type your documents then we will contact you. Each individual that applies with our department receives an ID number, once the background checks are clear, our Office Manager types all the necessary firearms documents up and will contact you when they are ready."

Going on 8+ weeks now, but feel like I'm getting closer!  :dancer:

Edited by NJturtlePower
May Update

Fair Lawn

1 P2P

4/5: Drop off paperwork with reference forms already signed by references (something Fair Lawn just started doing which apparently is incorrect but it does speed up the process)

4/13: Just received a call that they are ready to pick up

• Like 1

Howdy,

So in light of all the "How long does it take XXXXXX to issue XXXXXX?" questions, figured it was a great time to put together a map like the member map we have, but listing how compliant NJ towns are when it comes to issuance and compliance to the existing NJ Laws.

Furthermore, your results will help NJ gun rights organizations to be able to pick their fights, such as the New Jersey Second Amendment Society.

NJ Compliancy Survey

Please be realistic, and do it if you had experience within the past year or two. Having results from 5 years ago is not really going to help. =)

Please post when you do!

Will let the survey run for a few weeks, and then start putting the results together into usable content. If you would like to help compile the results, send me a pm or post here.

Thanks!

In your research you might want to know, I have to use the State Police.  The policies from Barracks to Barracks differ greatly.  Last year I got my FID at the Somerville Barracks in 3 weeks and with respect.  This time I was directed to the Kingswood Barracks and I'm entering my 3rd week without a number for the fingerprint appointment.  If you contact them in any way you get your head bit off.  Also it doesn't matter what their web site says they do what they want when you get there.

• Like 1

Why do we need to get re-fingerprinted then?  It was never an issue in the past and is not a state requirement.  

I asked the same question.  The response was "because we don't know what you've been up to since the last time".  This response was from an officer that can get my complete back ground from a walkie-talkie when he pulls me over on the side of the road and from the same officer that is giving me a piece of paper for the FFL to run another check.  Go figure....

Haven't seen too many posts about Somerset (Franklin Twp) - 

3/24 - Submitted app for 3 PPs

4/17 - PD confirmed they received all paperwork, BG check, etc.

4/21 - Spoke to PD and said its going through an "internal review"

Still waiting as of today.  

Any one else from here apply recently?

39 minutes ago, tattooo said:

It's crazy how some towns are as fast as 1-2 weeks while others take 6+ months

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Nah, not really.  It's all about how "pro/anti 2A" the CLEO is, or at least, how willing they are to be compliant with NJ guidelines/regs on the issuance of the docs, etc.  The one's that are pro-2A or who want to demonstrate that they are in compliance with guidelines/regs will get it done "on time," or at least keep people up to date on the process.  The things they can't control (and might cause delays) are:

1)   State Firearms Unit - (and/or process of obtaining the criminal background check... facilitated if you have a SBI # - the one that's on the FPID).

2)   County Adjuster's office - (And the return of the mental health check records)....  just depends on how busy they are

3)   Return of personal references docs (assuming they were sent out... some may not send them out multiple times, especially if it's the same reference).

The one's that are "anti-2A" will use all of the above and more to delay the process (also depending on how busy they are, themselves),  Or their "apathy" over the process will.

Both myself and my wife just applied for our FID on 3/31 and had our fingerprints done on 4/4.  We've been meaning to get this done for about 10 years and just never got around to it (finances and all).  I was never for or against 2A rights because it didn't ever seem to effect my life, however now that we're going through this I can't believe the BS involved.  So far, no word.  I will be contacting the NJSP that we went through on Monday.  I now fully support the 2A.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rabit536 said:

Both myself and my wife just applied for our FID on 3/31 and had our fingerprints done on 4/4.  We've been meaning to get this done for about 10 years and just never got around to it (finances and all).  I was never for or against 2A rights because it didn't ever seem to effect my life, however now that we're going through this I can't believe the BS involved.  So far, no word.  I will be contacting the NJSP that we went through on Monday.  I now fully support the 2A.

Good for you, Its never too late.

1 hour ago, Rabit536 said:

Makes you wonder why? Huh?

Welcome to The Breakfast Club, where you just wait indefinitely in Democrat Detention until someone decides they can't delay your 2A rights any longer and 'grants' you FIDs and permits.

Depending on what barracks your dealing with, don't hold your breath.

Just called SP, the trooper that I spoke with told me that he didn't see anything on the desk of the trooper that handles firearms paperwork.  So he took my number and said he'd relay the message but to give him a day or two to call me back.

I guess I'll call back on Wednesday.

On 6/3/2013 at 5:06 PM, anactivegrenade said:

Linden Township, Union County - November 15th, 2012 until June 3rd, 2013 - 199 days - 6 and a half months.

Thank the LORDY!

Hey guys, it's been a longtime since I posted.

I'm still in Linden and re-applied for a couple pistol permits. I got them back in 30 days!!!

Downside is that they wanted two forms of ID and sent an additional reference letter to my employer. Despite their illegal request, I'm glad the turn-around was that quick.

They've got a new clerk working on firearms paperwork. She's really courteous and professional and may be the reason for the improvement. Former Mayor Gerbonka was rabidly anti-2A, and the current mayor is part of MAIG ... lol oh well.

On 4/7/2017 at 4:43 PM, NJturtlePower said:

Anybody have recent FID/PP experiences in Flemington / Raritan Township?  (Hunterdon County)

My saga so far w/ Initial FID + One Pistol Permit Application:

3/9/17 - Submitted Application and $7 Check to PD

3/16/17 - Got Fingerprinted by MorphTrust

4/7/17 - Called for 4-week Update (Officer Not Available / Call back Monday 4/10)  :rolleyes:

4/10/17 - Spoke to LEO Campbell, said they were still waiting for my mental health form to come back, but everything else was in order.

4/12/17 - $7 check was deposited by PD.

5/8/17 - After emailing the PD Sergeant Camporeale I received the following response from Officer Campbell, "... It has been quite a busy year with other residents coming in and applying for FID cards and handgun permits. We did finish your background check and we did receive all of the necessary paperwork, we just need to type your documents then we will contact you. Each individual that applies with our department receives an ID number, once the background checks are clear, our Office Manager types all the necessary firearms documents up and will contact you when they are ready."

Going on 8+ weeks now, but feel like I'm getting closer!  :dancer:

Soooo today was the day, 5/11/17! Got the call that my FID & PP are ready for pickup. Not sure if it was a coincidence that I just bugged them 3-days ago but either way... 9-weeks to the day start to finish.

Side note: They never contacted my references or my employer by mail or phone. Kinda silly thing anyway, why would you put down someone who would not recommend you? Anyways, done and done... :D

On 4/28/2017 at 4:38 PM, lexcruiser said:

Haven't seen too many posts about Somerset (Franklin Twp) - 

4/21 - Spoke to PD and said its going through an "internal review"

Still waiting as of today.  

Any one else from here apply recently?

Just thought I'd give an update on my post for future reference & hopefully it helps others -

5/9 - PPs ready and issued

Technically not a bad turnaround granted they didnt receive all paperwork, etc. until Apr 17th.  Inga, the person who manages this for the dept. was helpful and responsive.