Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

Town: Sayreville

Applied for: Multiple P2P's (only 4, not the normal 6 being I know I won't use the 6 with the cost of the first gun but to note they no longer limit it to 3, so applying for as many as you want is good now)

Time: 23 days including them mailing them to me, no direct pick up.

Extra Forms: None

Extensions Allowed: Yes, drop off at that Desk and the Chief signs them and mails them right out.

Experience: Great, reference letters mail out the same day that I applied.

Wait is over. 9 months 1 week. Finally recieved this week my FID and 2 P2P. I don't wanna say more.

So this is what I have to look forward to, me being a Paterson resident as well. I plan to submit my application for a FID and 2 permits this week during one of their two 2-hour time windows to take in applications. (Tues 10am - noon; Wed 6pm-8pm). Judging by your experience, I'll have them by Christmas.

Are these small time windows to submit applications the norm across the state, or is it just a Paterson thing?

Well i will tell you that I know 2 people here in Paterson and they waited the same time as I did 9 months, so don't be surprise if you have the same bad luck. Now that I have at least my FID we'll see soon when I go back just for new permits 2 p what will be the turn around.

North Brunswick

Initial FID + 3 Permits

2 Months total time.

Submitted application 1/18, References received letters 1/21, Fingerprints 1/27. Followup with PD 2/21 and was told 1 reference letter didn't come back. Letter resent and confirmed delivered at PD 3/2. Letter in my mailbox 3/17 saying they were ready. Picked up today 3/19.

I'd be willing to bet the whole process is less than 30 days next time.

I put my intial FID and 2 PP applications in with fingerprints done on the monday following thanksgiving. My 2 references are both retires police officers both greater then sargents. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the holiday and waited till feb 14th to call and inquire. I was told at that time they were being sent to the investigative sargents desk. i asked at this time how much longer being polite and was told 1 to 2 weeeks and to wait for the phonecall. I then waited til this week and called and was told that they were on the sargents desk and would be getting the call soon asked if she had any idea what soon meant and was told just to wait for the phone call. so i am now at 16 weeks and still not sure if i am even close but what am i supposed to do call the sargent and ask him what the hell is taking so long and risk being moved to the bottom of the pile it just seems crazy that on the app form they sat typicallly takes 6 to 8 week which is what i was told by the records lady when i dropped them off even saying they took the week form christmass to new years off that is still 15 weees or almost double the time

It would be good it you did being that the data is being collected by the NJ2AS and they are working on getting PD to not drag their feet and if they have no idea your town has a problem it won't addressed. Not good for you and other people who live in your town.

Plus who cares what you say about how you were delayed by your town, what, are they going to not let you get P2P's anymore???

I agree, of course I am a biased resident of Paterson. I had my initial visit with the detective to get the paperwork required. Turns out Paterson also requires an additional form letter with passport photo attached to be filled out and notarized, which seems redundant to the application. Form reads as follows...

"I [...] do hereby certify that I have never been convicted of a crime anywhere in the United States that has not been expunged or sealed. I do further certify that I am not an alcoholic or habitual drunkard; I am not dependant upon any narcotic drug or other controlled dangerous substance; and I have never been confined to a mental institution or hospital for treatment or observation of a mental or psychiatric condition on either a temporary, interim, or permanent basis."

I have not yet approached Paterson PD about this, any advice on what to say? Speak in person, or over the phone?

I agree, of course I am a biased resident of Paterson. I had my initial visit with the detective to get the paperwork required. Turns out Paterson also requires an additional form letter with passport photo attached to be filled out and notarized, which seems redundant to the application. Form reads as follows...

"I [...] do hereby certify that I have never been convicted of a crime anywhere in the United States that has not been expunged or sealed. I do further certify that I am not an alcoholic or habitual drunkard; I am not dependant upon any narcotic drug or other controlled dangerous substance; and I have never been confined to a mental institution or hospital for treatment or observation of a mental or psychiatric condition on either a temporary, interim, or permanent basis."

I have not yet approached Paterson PD about this, any advice on what to say? Speak in person, or over the phone?

I would bring this to the attention of the NJ2AS so they know about it and see if they know about it and/or have something in the works. Also I would talk to the the NJSP Firearms division and let them know what is going on and see what they have to say.

After hearing what both of them have to say do what you feel is best.

Me pepersonally would talk to the Chief and if I didn't feel I was sasatisfiedith his answer I would talk then to the Mayor. ReRememberll of this can be done tactfully, not going in demanding this and that, even though what they are doing is wrong.

Copy/paste below from the Lumberton Township Police website.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the law expressly prohibit local departments from adding to the State forms and/or adding their own forms?

Now, in this particular case, the information provided on the two additional forms is very benign. But my concern is the precedence. Over time, individual Chiefs may add to the forms and it is without oversight from State officials.

FIREARMS APPLICATIONS

*You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a Firearms ID Card.

*You must be at least 21 years of age to apply for Permit to Purchase a Handgun.

APPLICATION AND FORMS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE WEBSITE:

www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

INITIAL FIREARMS ID CARD OR ID CARD WITH A HANDGUN PERMIT

The following forms and paperwork must be submitted:

1. Firearms Application Form (STS-33) (2 Originals needed)

2. Mental Health Search Form (SP-66) (2 Originals needed) must be signed in the presence of a Police Department employee

3. Lumberton Twp. Form #1: Re: Application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card / Handgun

4. Lumberton Twp. Form #2: Supplement To: Application for Permit to Purchase Handgun

5. You must present an original birth certificate, proof of naturalization or a passport and a valid New Jersey Drivers License

6. A notarized letter from your employer verifying your employment must be presented at the time of application

I don't think #6 is a valid request either. Shouldn't it be the department's responsibility to verify your employment?

I would bring this to the attention of the NJ2AS so they know about it and see if they know about it and/or have something in the works. Also I would talk to the the NJSP Firearms division and let them know what is going on and see what they have to say.

After hearing what both of them have to say do what you feel is best.

Me pepersonally would talk to the Chief and if I didn't feel I was sasatisfiedith his answer I would talk then to the Mayor. ReRememberll of this can be done tactfully, not going in demanding this and that, even though what they are doing is wrong.

Update: Went and spoke to the Detective on March 21st, the day after my first meeting with him, and explained the situation. I brought the form back to him, explained that I thought it was a violation of NJ statute 2C:58-3(f) and handed him a copy of the statute I printed from the NJ State Legislature website with the specific line highlighted. He shrugged and told me not to worry about the form then. He said Paterson has been doing it that way for 35 years. While the form may be waived in my particular instance, I don't believe they are going to stop asking for it from others that may follow.

New Brunswick: Submitted paperwork on 2/24. References mailed on 2/27, received on 2/28, returned on 2/29, received call today, new FID (change of address) and 2 P2P on 3/27/12. 32 days total from start to finish. Very impressive, the officer handling it is a pleasure to deal with.

I really thought I was the only with a long wait time. Intial FID and 1 p2p, submitted on Feb. 2011 available for pick up Dec. 2011... thats right 10 months. I'm so afraid to go back to apply for more permits, I dont think I could wait another 10 months for 1-2 p2p's. This was the Bayonne PD.

I really thought I was the only with a long wait time. Intial FID and 1 p2p, submitted on Feb. 2011 available for pick up Dec. 2011... thats right 10 months. I'm so afraid to go back to apply for more permits, I dont think I could wait another 10 months for 1-2 p2p's. This was the Bayonne PD.

I just talked to the younger cop in the permit office. (Tim?)

They have added more "steps" to the permit process in the office. Not sure what that means but it does mean a longer wait time. I know my co-workers applied in December and they are still waiting.

I just talked to the younger cop in the permit office. (Tim?)

They have added more "steps" to the permit process in the office. Not sure what that means but it does mean a longer wait time. I know my co-workers applied in December and they are still waiting.

I went in yesterday to pick up an application for more P2P's, he told me 6-8 weeks. I told him that I dont want to wait another 10 months. (Him is usally Det. Hourican who I speak with) He told me that with P2P are usually faster once I have my FID. But i notice is the same process that i went through when I did my initial application besides for the fingerprinting. So I'll just wait until they call me, no more harassing them like I did with my initial process.

New Brunswick: Submitted paperwork on 2/24. References mailed on 2/27, received on 2/28, returned on 2/29, received call today, new FID (change of address) and 2 P2P on 3/27/12. 32 days total from start to finish. Very impressive, the officer handling it is a pleasure to deal with.

Agree, new guy is great. I got 5 P2Ps turned around in less than a month. He also indicated extensions would not be difficult. To top it off he works nights so he is around for anyone who works out of the area during the day.

I went in yesterday to pick up an application for more P2P's, he told me 6-8 weeks. I told him that I dont want to wait another 10 months. (Him is usally Det. Hourican who I speak with) He told me that with P2P are usually faster once I have my FID. But i notice is the same process that i went through when I did my initial application besides for the fingerprinting. So I'll just wait until they call me, no more harassing them like I did with my initial process.

Det. Hourican (aka, the General) is okay. It's just them passing the buck to whomever they feel is wrong at the time. It's either the state police or more paperwork or too many applicants.

my last permits were applied for in north bergen pd on 11/30/2011 got them on 02/28/2012, probably would have gotten them alot sooner but one of my references never recieved his letter due to an error in the address. my prior applications had similiar time frames, although i lost 3 permits the last time because the nbpd captain does not allow exetensions, unsure why? detective shubert is the guy in charge there, very busy person but a very good guy to deal with.

when i lived in bloomfield they took about 3 months for me, but my brother had to wait about 9 months... they are very strict about the extensions you need to bring them in exactly on the 90th day! not before, nor after!

someone needs to chime in on newark, i heard its next to impossible to apply there, i heard its only within certain hours, only on certain days, and only when the detective is there and he is never there! he doesnt return calls either. i dont know how true this, but I'm always converting people to be pro gun and this is what they tell me what happens when they try to obtain a p2p and fid.

Put in my P2P on 1/12, just got the call they are ready.

Approx 9 weeks in Teaneck. When I dropped it off I was told to expect 8-10 weeks.

Just want to give an edit or update. I just looked at the date on my permit, it was actually issued on 3/12. So it sat for a week. Additionally I had called a day or two after the permit was issued(March 13 or 14) and was told they were still being processed. So just a heads up to Teaneck residents.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Lumberton issued my permits in 31 days. And, they stopped contacting employers.

I hear the new Chief is better than the old.

Sussex County NJSP barracks (Augusta) , Applied for my FID and 1 PP the last week of December and received it on 2/13/2012 (told it would take 10 weeks) so it took approx. 7 weeks . Applied for 3 more PP'S on April 4th 2012, so its 4 weeks and counting.