Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

Just received the letter to come and pick up my permits yesterday. Not bad 44 days with a major hurricane and snow storm in between. Will be shopping next week!!!

sounds good, where are you located?

I heard from a local gun shop that by state law 30 days is the max waiting time. He said I should go to AG office and file a complaint. He also mentioned my wait time involved hurricane Sandy and Thanks Giving so I should give them some leeway, maybe a week or so.

Is this true or some sort of gun shop rumor going around? If it is true, where do I start, I dont have any experience with any state agencies.

Linden, NJ here. Dropped off the paper work 30 days from last saturday. Now we start the real waiting game, as neither of my references have received their letters yet. Oh, joy. I'm gonna give the Linden PD a call after New Year's day.

Theere is another forum memeber from Linden waiting over 200 days its ridiculous

I submitted paperwork in Park Ridge, NJ on Nov 19th. FP on Nov 30th.

Called on Dec 11th to make sure they got the references back. As expected, the lady could not find one of the references, only

to find it the second day. She said she will follow up with an estimate. Ofcourse she never did.

They all have been very professional so far. But it concerns me as it started out with the traditional "we didnt get your references yet" story.

Anyone here with expeperience from Park Ridge or surrounding Bergen County towns ?

I'm the guy from Linden who's been waiting so long. Today is 217 days. I called the PD this morning and was told I can finally pick up my fid and permits tomorrow. Took me over 7 months so glad it's over. Good luck to you other guys from Linden. Hope you don't have to wait as long as I did.

I'm the guy from Linden who's been waiting so long. Today is 217 days. I called the PD this morning and was told I can finally pick up my fid and permits tomorrow. Took me over 7 months so glad it's over. Good luck to you other guys from Linden. Hope you don't have to wait as long as I did.

What are the odds that everything checked out on the exact day you called? I'm betting either they forgot to call you when everything was good to go or they were hoping you'd give up.

I submitted paperwork in Park Ridge, NJ on Nov 19th. FP on Nov 30th.

Called on Dec 11th to make sure they got the references back. As expected, the lady could not find one of the references, only

to find it the second day. She said she will follow up with an estimate. Ofcourse she never did.

They all have been very professional so far. But it concerns me as it started out with the traditional "we didnt get your references yet" story.

Anyone here with expeperience from Park Ridge or surrounding Bergen County towns ?

Update: Called PD today, asked the lady nicely about getting estimate so I dont bother them during holidays. She said everything is good and will

try to get the papers signed by Chief tomorrow. Got a call in the afternoon that the permits are ready. She said she got hold of Chief as he was in today without waiting for tomorrow. Awesome. Within 30 days and very professional treatment.

FPID, and Hangun permits are in hand. Thumbs up for Park Ridge PD.

Now I am at loss as to what to buy, so many reviews, options and variations :-)

Dont really know if this belongs here but I bhad my FID reissued. Downloaded the forms, turned them in and had my Reissued FID in under 30 days.

Carneys Point PD couldnt have been more courteous and professional. On top of that Lt. Colletti is a stand up guy. Couldnt have been an easier experience compared to my inital application.

Finally picked up my fid and permits in Linden. They were signed by the chief this morning. So they pretty much dragged it out as long as they could. So after 218 days my wait is over.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

I'm glad you got your stuff finally over with. I'm at 34 days and I'm already anxious. None of my references have gotten their letters yet :-/ but supposedly Linden occasionally leaves that step last, so says another forum member... :hunter:

Let's celebrate Eric223's blessings!

EDIT: Just talked to Linden PD, with a detective named "JC". I asked about my application, and he gave me the run-down on what's going on at the station. Hurricane Sandy has set him back a few weeks because some of their utilities took time to get back up. He also says the holidays will slow things down a bit, and he'll be pumping out applications at a normal rate after the new year. Finally, he says that Linden PD doesn't have a firearms unit, and he's the only detective working on applications. He apologized and said if Linden had multiple guys working, I'd see my FID in less than 30 days. Apparently I'll see my FID before April of 2013.

Finally picked up my fid and permits in Linden. They were signed by the chief this morning. So they pretty much dragged it out as long as they could. So after 218 days my wait is over.

My wife told me someone she knew went to the Linden PD and the officer refused to give them a carry permit and the cop was an ass about it and said something along the lines of if it was up to him he will never get it etc. I am really getting sick of the BS, police are not supposed to be judgmental and just follow the law.

Dropped of paperwork/money to the State Police(Woodbine) for 3x P2P's today(12/20/12) at 1:45PM. And now the wait begins.

I'm guessing 2-3 months. But probably longer due to the fiasco the firearms unit is dealing with the buying frenzy.

New member here, but I noticed that the survey indicates that one should start counting from the date that reference letters are received by PD ... my problem is that, while waiting close to 75 days now for my initial FID, my local PD has not yet even requested information from my references.

I understand they are busy, but is there any recourse I can pursue to speed up this process? Is this one of the items that is being addressed by the compliance project? Should this time-frame be included as part of the 30 day maximum?

I had also recently heard from a pretty unreliable source that they have 90 days total for the entire process. This guy spouts off a lot of BS, but I was curious if there is any truth to this?

Thanks in advance!

Permit came through finally. Got the call on 12/14, day before the shooting in Newtown. that makes is about 7 months.

They said that some folks only waited 5 weeks - seems like they do batches (1 batch per year?). They had a pile of people they were calling I guess. Who knows, just glad it's over with.

i suppose i should have used this format in my first post...

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial I.D. and 1 P2P (new to NJ)

2. Police Department where you applied. Bayonne PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. there are only two or three detectives in there so I'd rather not disclose a name at this time

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Still in Process. Original application on or about May 22. Reference forms and all applications submitted by June 30th or so (reason for delay noted below)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Employment Verification form which has personal questions on it such as, "does this person have any personal problems?" (can't make this stuff up and I will gladly provide copies of the forms if it helps anyone)

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

- My HR Rep at work was unwilling to complete the form and agreed it was a violation of rights. They basically use the reference form as the Employment form also. When i called about this, they said "just put N/A for all those questions.

- The reference forms were never received and i was told they must have been lost in the mail.

- told more than once, 'should be about a week'

- Chief of police is only in on Tues and Wed each week

- Said they are doing a neighbor check, which i assume means they knock on my neighbors' doors and ask questions. was told later in that conversation that it was b/c my references were not in Bayonne which was never mentiuoned prior. I actually asked if they needed to be local references at the outset of this nightmare and was told, "no".

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

I'm glad you got your stuff finally over with. I'm at 34 days and I'm already anxious. None of my references have gotten their letters yet :-/ but supposedly Linden occasionally leaves that step last, so says another forum member... :hunter:

Let's celebrate Eric223's blessings!

EDIT: Just talked to Linden PD, with a detective named "JC". I asked about my application, and he gave me the run-down on what's going on at the station. Hurricane Sandy has set him back a few weeks because some of their utilities took time to get back up. He also says the holidays will slow things down a bit, and he'll be pumping out applications at a normal rate after the new year. Finally, he says that Linden PD doesn't have a firearms unit, and he's the only detective working on applications. He apologized and said if Linden had multiple guys working, I'd see my FID in less than 30 days. Apparently I'll see my FID before April of 2013.

Thanks. I'm glad the long wait is over. I hope you don't have to wait as long as me. It took 3 months for my references to get there letters. Just keep calling them every week to check on how it's going.

Dropped of paperwork/money to the State Police(Woodbine) for 3x P2P's today(12/20/12) at 1:45PM. And now the wait begins.

I'm guessing 2-3 months. But probably longer due to the fiasco the firearms unit is dealing with the buying frenzy.

Update: References got their calls yesterday(12/28/12).

Greetings from Newark, New Jersey.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial I.D. and 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Newark P.D. 22 Franklin St.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Sanders

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Still in Process. I submitted my application and money orders on July 30, 2012. The detective gave me a morpho trak form and reference letters. I paid $57.50 to Morpho trak and was fingerprinted on August 1, 2012 and submitted those forms to the Detective in person at his desk on August 10, 2012. I will keep you all updated.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NONE.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). NONE.

The Newark P.D. takes applications on mondays beetween the hours of 9am to 11am. There are only 2 Detectives in the Newark P.D. that perform the checks. You can print the papers they will give you right from the Newark P.D. website. I am already mentally prepared for a long process. I say that because there are only 2 detectives handling paper work for all of Newark on top of other duties. Also there is a boom in citizens who want to legally purchase firearms. The monday I returned my application I was #21 of 32 and I was there at 9:15am. Also note that some mondays they may not be there. I tried to show up on August 6 only to have the front desk turn me away because they were out in the field, try to call ahead, I hope this helps someone save time.

110 business days in Newark NJ. Plus they only hand them out by appointment and they still managed to not have 1 of 2 permits ready and said they would call me when it gets done. My city sucks.

Initial FID + 2 P2P

Lacey PD (Ocean)

Records Clerk - Debbie

Morpho prints taken and applications submitted 11/20/12

Additional Mental Health form for prior County of Residence (Somerset) in NJ

Juvenile Records Check Release Form (even though I'm 58 and was never a Juvenile in this state)

Form listing ALL prior residences and Police Dept. Contact Info

My reference letters were sent out and returned within the first week.

When I last checked on 12/21 I was told that my application was with the Detectives, and "Don't call us, we'll call you".

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P And 30 day exemption paperwork

2. Police Department where you applied. Monroe Township PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. N/A

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Droped off paperowrk 11/23/12... Picked up Today 1/4/13.. Just about a month and two weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Only thing additional was a local criminal history search wich really wasn't a big deal.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Over all ok experience. Detective was personable and professional... Got all 3 permits and my exemption without a problem... I say ok only because just like everyone else wish the process was quicker.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 1 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Fair Lawn, NJ PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Roskowsky

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 14 days! Although it was 21 days until they called me to pick it up.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Only thing additional was a notorized form stating that I was never arrested, admitted for any type of mental health care, nor dependant on any drugs or alcohol.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I was told during the dropping off my paperwork to expect it to take 6-8 weeks and to call afterwards if I haven't heard by then. I was pleasantly surprised to see that 21 days later it was ready to go.