Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I called the chief's office. His secretary told me he is on vacation and that he doesn't deal with the fid process. Three weeks ago I talked to the guy in charge of my paperwork. He told me my background check was done and he just has to send out the ref letters. Three weeks later I talk to him again and he says the same thing and that he'll send out the letters this week and hopefully it will be done by friday because he is going on vacation. Nothing was ever shipped out. So now I have a chief and the guy in charge of my paperwork both on vacation. I'm 88 days in. I guess I have to wait another 3 months.

-Sorry if I'm bothering anyone with my updates. Just thought it would be good to get the word out on how slow my city is.

I submitted my paperwork for two pistol permits on 7/18/2012 to the Toms River PD. They warned me they are behind. They have a number of "additional" forms asking all kinds of things like your email address, list of all previous addresses for the last ten years, list of names for those living in the house, etc. If they take less than three months I'll be happy (and surprised!).

Well, one month in and my references have not yet received their questionnaires yet. I called the records department on Wednesday for a different matter looking for the original date my pink card was issued but the woman I spoke with told me my file was with someone in the police department working on my pistol permits so she couldn’t tell me.

I submitted my paperwork for two pistol permits on 7/18/2012 to the Toms River PD. They warned me they are behind. They have a number of "additional" forms asking all kinds of things like your email address, list of all previous addresses for the last ten years, list of names for those living in the house, etc. If they take less than three months I'll be happy (and surprised!).

Well, one month in and my references have not yet received their questionnaires yet. I called the records department on Wednesday for a different matter looking for the original date my pink card was issued but the woman I spoke with told me my file was with someone in the police department working on my pistol permits so she couldn’t tell me.

Not quite sure I believe this yet but my PD called me today to tell me I could come pick up my two pistol permits, I think I'm in shock, less than five weeks when I was expecting no less than three months! Toms River seems to have their act together, I almost feel like I live in America, almost. I picked up the Sig P225 at Shore Shot today and begin the 30 day countdown to get the S&W Bodyguard 380 I have my eyes on.

I get the feeling that local police departments just don't want the responsibility for the time and the paperwork. This is not a job they think they should be doing, they probably have more important things on their agenda each day. And they may be right, the system is flawed!

I turned in my paperwork for change of address of my FID card and for 2 purchase permits. The lady at the department of records in Parsippany was extremely help, very nice and knowledgeable about the paper work needed. Only problem is she told me they are back logged for 3-4 months...here's hoping for a Christmas miracle

Greetings from Newark, New Jersey.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial I.D. and 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Newark P.D. 22 Franklin St.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Sanders

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Still in Process. I submitted my application and money orders on July 30, 2012. The detective gave me a morpho trak form and reference letters. I paid $57.50 to Morpho trak and was fingerprinted on August 1, 2012 and submitted those forms to the Detective in person at his desk on August 10, 2012. I will keep you all updated.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NONE.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). NONE.

The Newark P.D. takes applications on mondays beetween the hours of 9am to 11am. There are only 2 Detectives in the Newark P.D. that perform the checks. You can print the papers they will give you right from the Newark P.D. website. I am already mentally prepared for a long process. I say that because there are only 2 detectives handling paper work for all of Newark on top of other duties. Also there is a boom in citizens who want to legally purchase firearms. The monday I returned my application I was #21 of 32 and I was there at 9:15am. Also note that some mondays they may not be there. I tried to show up on August 6 only to have the front desk turn me away because they were out in the field, try to call ahead, I hope this helps someone save time.

Montclair Police Department

Initial FID and 1 p2p

5 weeks exactly. Delay was employer verification or I would have gotten it in 4 weeks.

Smooth process references received their letters next day from date of drop off.

Also told if I didn't find anything an extension to the permit would be granted and will only take a couple days to process.

I turned in my paperwork for change of address of my FID card and for 2 purchase permits. The lady at the department of records in Parsippany was extremely help, very nice and knowledgeable about the paper work needed. Only problem is she told me they are back logged for 3-4 months...here's hoping for a Christmas miracle

The lady who took my paperwork in Parsippany was very pleasant, but I think she's severly misinformed as to her time estimates...

I submitted my paperwork for FID (Address Change) and 2 permits on May 25th. I was told it would take 6-8 weeks for processing. I called at 6 weeks and they said they had gotten everything back and it just needed to be reviewed, told me it would be 2-3 more weeks which i was understanding of since it still pretty much fell in their original time estimate. Called back at 3 weeks, was told it would take an additional 3 weeks... Called back again 3 weeks later and was told the same thing... I am at 14 weeks now.

I saw in a earlier post that someone had hired an attorney after waiting a long time for their FID, will that really help or would I just be wasting money? Do the towns really have a limit of 30 days to process an application?

The lady who took my paperwork in Parsippany was very pleasant, but I think she's severly misinformed as to her time estimates...

I submitted my paperwork for FID (Address Change) and 2 permits on May 25th. I was told it would take 6-8 weeks for processing. I called at 6 weeks and they said they had gotten everything back and it just needed to be reviewed, told me it would be 2-3 more weeks which i was understanding of since it still pretty much fell in their original time estimate. Called back at 3 weeks, was told it would take an additional 3 weeks... Called back again 3 weeks later and was told the same thing... I am at 14 weeks now.

I saw in a earlier post that someone had hired an attorney after waiting a long time for their FID, will that really help or would I just be wasting money? Do the towns really have a limit of 30 days to process an application?

I talked to the officer in charge and its 6 months. If you are applying in Parsippany, YOU HAVE TO CALL EVERY 2 WEEKS AT LEAST. I applied last year on Dec 27, when they were supposedly not that backed up. They didnt do anything for 4 weeks, they said my reference didnt respond, then they said they lost it, when I offered to bring the reference in person, they miraculously found them. It was a complete run around. If I never called, they never would have said they didnt get the reference, then say they lost and eventually found it.

Then they blamed the weather. The officer was nice when I spoke to him on an unrelated item last month but said that he is the only one working on it and they try and do 3-4 a day.

I am of the opinion, that you start calling 30 days after everything is submitted and then every 2 weeks or so depending on what they say.

I talked to the officer in charge and its 6 months. If you are applying in Parsippany, YOU HAVE TO CALL EVERY 2 WEEKS AT LEAST. I applied last year on Dec 27, when they were supposedly not that backed up. They didnt do anything for 4 weeks, they said my reference didnt respond, then they said they lost it, when I offered to bring the reference in person, they miraculously found them. It was a complete run around. If I never called, they never would have said they didnt get the reference, then say they lost and eventually found it.

Then they blamed the weather. The officer was nice when I spoke to him on an unrelated item last month but said that he is the only one working on it and they try and do 3-4 a day.

I am of the opinion, that you start calling 30 days after everything is submitted and then every 2 weeks or so depending on what they say.

I bet you it is 6 months. When I handed in the paperwork the lady told me that the references are typically the biggest holdup. My refs got their forms that Monday and sent them back out next day so I got optimistic that it would be quick. Ridiculous. They should have an express option like they do with passports. I would pay extra for it.

After 110 days, my references finally received their letters. I talked to them today and they will be sending them out tomorrow. If everything goes well I should have my FID and permits by the end of the week.

Judging on how long it took for your references to get those letters, I wouldn't count on it. :icon_e_confused:

Applying for some PPPs in Paterson. It's been a while since I last applied. Thankfully, they don't need me to be fingerprinted again. Also, I noticed that they've gotten rid of some forms. Last I checked, they had an additional mental health waiver to be signed (which I did back when I didn't know exactly what was legal or not regarding the forms), and everything needed to be notarized. That's gone, but they have kept two forms to be given and signed by your references. Basically, the forms just ask for a signature, address, etc. for them to acknowledge that you aren't a prohibited person. Now, I would be hesitant to give these out, but I believe they use them to streamline the process (they didn't contact my references last time at all, so I'm guessing they just use these forms in lieu of contacting them). I can see how it might be a pain in the ass for some people who don't have a chance to see the people who they want to use as references very often, though. Turn around time last I applied was around 50ish days from handing in the paperwork.

Submitted P2P application today in Ewing. Jack Bryden said I should have permits in hand before Sept 13th. He said they would have been available sooner, but he'll be leaving next week for 2 weeks vacation.

Jack Bryden was incorrect. While he said I should have the permits by the 13th, he just called today to tell me I can pick them up at any time. Less than 30 days!

Hi guys,

I just moved to Denville and filed to change my firearms ID and applied for two pistol permits at the same time. It was a very pleasant experiance and quick. The whole process took 34 days and part of that I think was the holidays.

Filled tues aug 7th

Letters recieved wed aug 15

Letters returned Friday aug 17

Permits received sept 11

They did ask about verifying my employment with my employer but I said that's easy because it's me. I'm self-employed. So that was easy.

Has anyone from Edison received their purchase permit recently? I submitted my paperwork on 6/28 and I've seen people that applied a month before me receive their P2P in 6 weeks. Why is it taking twice as long as before now? When I call to find out the status, all they will tell me is that they will call when it comes in.

147 days and counting in Dumont!

this is after a letter to the Chief on my FID change of address (4+ months)

and 4+ months on my last Pistol permits

which was resolved by a call from a mutual friend (retired LEO) of both myself am the captain in charge of permits

that is bull, wtf is wrong with some of these sadistic POS's