Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

Talked to NJSP Firearms unit today regarding my P2P which I've now been waiting for, for over 2 months. I got a surprisingly honest employee on the phone.

They said in the past month what they've done was processed all retired LEO's applications for FID and or P2P FIRST.

Then they started doing all initial FID's for regular old citizens...and now they are just starting to process the P2P's from the past two months. They claim people will be receiving their initial FID's only, even if they also applied for P2P's at the same time, until they catch up.

My regular PD is NJSP, so this may not apply to everyone.

Somehow this does not make sense. They told you they are processing initial FID without p2p. By that statement someone who applied for a fid and p2p will get their fid first and then the p2p! The process is the same, a background check, once the check is done it takes no more for the p2p. Add to that that several forum members got their p2p within the last month.

Somehow this does not make sense. They told you they are processing initial FID without p2p. By that statement someone who applied for a fid and p2p will get their fid first and then the p2p! The process is the same, a background check, once the check is done it takes no more for the p2p. Add to that that several forum members got their p2p within the last month.

You are right. That doesn't make any sense. This all gets more and more frustrating by the minute. I know they are overloaded, but it really only impacts people looking to purchase a pistol, which i would imagine is the majority.

I called out to the Sgt at the desk at the local barracks after talking to the firearms unit, he said he's been receiving only initial FID's in the past month even though people also put in for P2P's with their initial FID's, which is also in agreement with what the Firearms unit in Trenton told me. Doesn't make sense to me either, but it is what is happening for people who have NJSP as their local department.

The several forum members who got their P2P do not have NJSP as their local PD.

SlipperyPete, I am in Washington Township also and just turned in my completed paperwork, refences and prints last week. I was told turn around is about 12 weeks right now.

Brutal dude. Friday makes week 10 for me. So if that is the case i have a couple more weeks to go. My check was cashed feb 1. I turned in everything Dec 20. Not sure what each stage in the process, but thought once my check was cashed i was un the home stretch. Apparently not the case. When i turned them initially was told 2 months max. I really am trying not to expect it for another month or so.

Did you pick out something to buy yet?

Applied for FID & 1 P2P on Wed. 2/6/13.

Mon. 2/11/13 references received questionnaire, delivered to PD Tues. 2/12/13.

Finger-printed Tues.2/12/13.

Mon. 2/18/13 stopped by PD talked to woman at police desk asked if I could add second P2P. She told me no problem.

Thur. 2/21/13 references received phone call from PD to verify info on questionnaire.

Tues. 2/26/13 I received call from police chief telling me my paper work was ready for pick up. To bring my photo ID to have it photo copied.

So initial FID & 2 P2P in 21 days! This was in the Town of Phillipsburg, Warren County!

Only problem I ran into was I went to pick them up I noticed they spelled my last name wrong on FID card, both P2Ps were good. And the woman at desk was off today so I will have to wait until tomorrow to pick them up.

I put in for permits at NJSP Woodbine on 12/20...I'm still waiting.

Called woodbine barracks Friday 2/15 for an update. Good thing I did because someone my 2nd reference phone questioniarre wasn't on record even though he did it over the phone with a trooper handling my application! The trooper I had on phone was very helpful and be called my friend and got that taken care of. He said my SBI and mental health records had just came back a few days prior so it didn't cost me much time. He said they send everything out to be finalized and in "2-3" weeks my new address fid card and p2p would be ready for pickup. Said NJSP woodbine apps have been running 6-8 weeks.

Does that sound correct? My background check and mental health records come back and they send them off along with the reference interviews? I guess if something was no good they wouldn't even send them to Trenton.

Hopefully by next week I can report back I picked up everything.

NEWARK PD (Essex county)

1/14/13: I submitted all the paperwork at the downtown station on Green St.

1/23/13: MorphoTrak took my finger prints at their office in downtown Newark.

2/25/13: Called several phone numbers to try and get an update, everyone I spoke to tried to pass the buck and asked me to call another number, one of the number didn't even go through. (Busy signal)

I guess I just have to wait with my **** in my hands until a miracle happens.

If anyone here has any advice on how to follow up with Newark PD, please elighten me.

POST EDIT: Also forgot to note that a female on the phone rambled about it taking a long time "specially with the new gun laws"... I was quick to reply with, "WHAT, new guns laws???"

You see folks? In New Jersey, even laws that didn't even pass yet have an effect on law abiding citizens.

UPDATE: 104 DAYS.

I met the mayor of Linden today and got to talk to him about my FID application. He talked to the Chief of Police and the detective working on my app., and found out my reference letters have been sent, my background check is done, and my mental health check has been pending. ETA: 2 weeks :D

Hopefully it actually is 2 weeks and I'm not getting BS'd. It sure did get my application "unstuck" once the mayor got involved. Thumbs up to the mayor of Linden!

This is what I sent to Manalapan PD:

"Chief Marsala, I would like to submit an application for 2 pistol purchase permits, Last time I did this was about 4 years ago and I would like to know if the procedures have changed. Can you please give me information on the following: 1) Days and hours when I can come in to submit the application?2) What forms I need to complete?3) Can I download these forms or do I have to pick them up during the hours specified in question 1?4) Last time I had an issue with employment verification because my employer used a third party organization to provide this service and the Manalapan PD was not a paying subscriber. Does the Manalapan PD still need this information or would my employee ID suffice? I really do appreciate all your help. Sincerely;"

This is the response I got:

"The next scheduled firearms licensing date will be March 1, 2013 from 9:00 to 1:00 with Ptl. Donatelli. If you have any questions please visit our website www.manlapanpolice.org under firearms licensing, where you will find the needed Pdf forms to complete and download. Yes you will still need an employment verification sent to your employer. I would recommend providing the name of your direct supervisor with a specific mailing address to that person. SincerelyLieutenant Thomas Barstow"

This is what I sent to Manalapan PD:

"Chief Marsala, I would like to submit an application for 2 pistol purchase permits, Last time I did this was about 4 years ago and I would like to know if the procedures have changed. Can you please give me information on the following: 1) Days and hours when I can come in to submit the application?2) What forms I need to complete?3) Can I download these forms or do I have to pick them up during the hours specified in question 1?4) Last time I had an issue with employment verification because my employer used a third party organization to provide this service and the Manalapan PD was not a paying subscriber. Does the Manalapan PD still need this information or would my employee ID suffice? I really do appreciate all your help. Sincerely;"

This is the response I got:

"The next scheduled firearms licensing date will be March 1, 2013 from 9:00 to 1:00 with Ptl. Donatelli. If you have any questions please visit our website www.manlapanpolice.org under firearms licensing, where you will find the needed Pdf forms to complete and download. Yes you will still need an employment verification sent to your employer. I would recommend providing the name of your direct supervisor with a specific mailing address to that person. SincerelyLieutenant Thomas Barstow"

My company also does an online type verification, and only through that system will they respond. I totally forgot this when i submitted my application. I would have hoped they would have called me if there was an issue. I do not recall on the form it asking for my supervisor. It was just business name, address and phone number.

Applied for FID and 1 PP in Bloomfield on Oct. 26th. Still waiting!!!

I did hear that Essex County has not issued any FID or PP because the office that had the mental health records was damaged because of Hurricane Sandy. This was 4 months ago and they still are not issuing FID or PP, I wish I could do something about this.

At 71 days and counting for a change of address. Called the NJSP yesterday and they told me that the typical time to issue a FID, whether a new applicant or a change of address is 60 to 90 days.

Is an employment check a requirement for the FID? I assume it is since on the sts33 form it asks employer and add/phone

Not sure, what if your unemployed or self employed. How would that have any bearing on your ability to legaly own a firearm?

I wouldn't think so either, but why is it on the form. Wondering if that is part of the reason i have not heard anything about my application. 11 weeks starts today. My company will not accept an employment verification call. It has to go through a paid service by the requestor. They also have a policy that prohibits any employee/mgr from giving and reference or employment verification.

I wouldn't think so either, but why is it on the form. Wondering if that is part of the reason i have not heard anything about my application. 11 weeks starts today. My company will not accept an employment verification call. It has to go through a paid service by the requestor. They also have a policy that prohibits any employee/mgr from giving and reference or employment verification.

I had the exact same problem, about 2 years ago. I was calling the Luitenant atleast twice a week until he got tired of me and told me to just show him my employee ID and xeroxed it.

I would call. I am now calling the NJSP once every 2 weeks just to make sure there is nothing on my end that I have to do, but I am also asking them why it is taking longer than expected and when I can expect it to be complete.

Just be polite and profesional.

Not sure, what if your unemployed or self employed. How would that have any bearing on your ability to legaly own a firearm?

Well it certainly does because my FID and P2P are both being held up do to my employer not returning the form to my local PD.

It should be an interesting Monday at work.

What form did they send your employer? Did you have to submit anything to the pd other than the sts33, the mental health check form, references, and prints?

I only had to submit the standard forms. My references got five standard questions I felt were reasonable. I did not see what they sent to my employer. My wife submitted her paperwork the same day as me and when I checked today I was told her permits will be ready next week.

The PD asked me if they should send another letter but before I have them do that I want to speak to my HR dept and find out what happened. If another letter is needed I will inquire about having it faxed over. Hopefully I can get that to happen.

I suspect this is just incompetence in the HR dept at my employer.