Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

just talked to lindenwold AGAIN. the ladys i talk to there are always nice to me. but they still say my stuff's sitting in the detectives work pile. she says there's about 60 there. since the last call, the lady corrected me(politley) when i told her it was going on 5 months, i checked my paperwork. i told this lady that i'd filed my initial app. on dec. 17, 2012, and that right about now, it was ever so slightly past the 30 days that the law states. that's when she told me about them being short.

i told her that i appreciated her being nice, and giving me these reasons, but that they were about the same as if i told an officer that i was doing 70 in a 25 zone because the guy in front of me was. she chuckled at me, and said she's putting a note to see if she can push my stuff through. only giving them a couple days this time. i'm calling them wed. morning. if it's not ready than i'm getting the mayor's number fromher, then calling him, and as soon as i hang up, going up the line to the state pd, then to some senators.

At 131 days today. I sent in an e-mail to the State AG's office, mostly copied and pasted from the same letter I sent to Senator Van Drew and Christ Christie.

Added in that I have been more than paitent enough in waiting more than 100 days longer than the State law prescribes.

I also stated that if I don't get movement or hear from anyone on this issue in 1 week I will be forced to file a formal complaint. A LGS owner nearby stated that he has several customers threaten to file a formal complaint with the State AG, and within a week they got their pistol permits.

This is exactly what I had to do after waiting 9 months for my original FID and it worked.

I got a call from a buddy of mine today. He told me he spoke to the clerk (Elizabeth PD) and the clerk said his stuff is in the final stages. I don't know how true that is but that's besides the point. My buddy submitted his paperwork after I did, so I figured I'd call and see where my application was at in the process. As I sat there on hold I wondered what bs I would get this time and what a friggin wallop it was. The clerk told me he hasn't received my fingerprints OR my mental health check. 6 god damn months later.

I got a call from a buddy of mine today. He told me he spoke to the clerk (Elizabeth PD) and the clerk said his stuff is in the final stages. I don't know how true that is but that's besides the point. My buddy submitted his paperwork after I did, so I figured I'd call and see where my application was at in the process. As I sat there on hold I wondered what bs I would get this time and what a friggin wallop it was. The clerk told me he hasn't received my fingerprints OR my mental health check. 6 god damn months later.

To me, this is completely unacceptable. The system is broken and no one in any position to do anything cares.

Posted this last night:

Went to NJSP barracks tonight with my friend who was picking up the application package for P2P's. They asked me if I wanted one too' date=' i told them I'm still waiting for mine. They asked when I applied and I said "December 20th". The guy cringed and said OK, can I see your DL?...sure. So they go into the back, and then he comes back with a notebook and he tells me my SBI form got sent back to Woodbine, then got resubmitted, and is still pending. Said he has no idea why. He flipped back a few pages and said all of these are still pending too.

He told me to call tomorrow and to ask for a specific Trooper and inquire about my permits.

I'll post back up with what I find out.[/quote']

Called today, Trooper who answered said the Trooper(Trooper Inserra) I was looking for was out on the road and he'd have him give me a call when he gets in(which should be soon).

The Trooper asked how long I've been waiting and when I said 134 days he said "oh, wow".

Never heard back from Trooper Inserra. I believe they work 6a-6p, so maybe tomorrow(wishful thinking).

I'm mailing letters out to Attorney General Chiesea, and Colonel Fuentes tomorrow morning regarding this.

The Sergeant at Woodbine showed me their notebook with all of the application dates/information logged and there was at least 3-4 pages of people who applied before me that are still waiting on their permits. That's approx 60-80 people who applied before me, who still do not have their FID's or P2P's.

I'm sick of waiting for permission to exercise a constitutional right. Tomorrow is day 135. 4.5 months.

Alright... I'm from Newark, NJ and finally got my FID and purchase permit. Here is the breakdown:

1/14/13 - Submitted applications to NPD.

1/23/13 - Got fingerprinted by MorphoTrak.

2/25/13 - Follow-up attempt failed (nothing but a bunch of bs on the phone telling me to call another number).

2/27/13 - Follow-up attempt successful: Sent email to Deputy in charge of office of Chief of Police. He said the system used for Mental Health background checks is down and NPD hands are tied until system is restored.

He also mentioned it could take 2-3 more months.

Deputy offered further help by mentioning that if in a month from now I still have no luck, I can check back with him again. (Email conversation retained).

4/22/13 – Sent another follow-up e-mail, I was told investigator was working on it and would have an answer to me in a week.

4/29/13 – FINALLY! Got an e-mail back saying my paperwork was ready and picked up my FID and purchase permit the next morning.

TOTAL TIME TO GET MY FID:

16 WEEKS or 112 Days or ALMOST 4 MONTHS

With that said... It's important to note that my friend went through the motions of getting his FID at the same time also in Newark and he is still waiting. My advantage was that I ignored pecking order and started voicing my frustration directly to the office of chief of police.

In addition, Alexander Roubian from NJ2AS did some FANTASTIC work with Newark PD. Newark now only requires the standard application, mental helth consent and gives you the blank reference letters in advance for your references to fill out (and you hand it in together with the applications).

Before Alexander Roubian confronted NPD and worked with them to comply with the law on the books, they requested additional information such as landlord consent if renting, proof that you have a safe to store the firearm, copy of proof that you were a legal alien, among other crazy requests.

If it wasn't for NJ2AS and their hard work, I'm sure I'd still be waiting!

Never heard back from Trooper Inserra. I believe they work 6a-6p, so maybe tomorrow(wishful thinking).

I'm mailing letters out to Attorney General Chiesea, and Colonel Fuentes tomorrow morning regarding this.

The Sergeant at Woodbine showed me their notebook with all of the application dates/information logged and there was at least 3-4 pages of people who applied before me that are still waiting on their permits. That's approx 60-80 people who applied before me, who still do not have their FID's or P2P's.

I'm sick of waiting for permission to exercise a constitutional right. Tomorrow is day 135. 4.5 months.

Called back today trying to reach Trooper Inserra, whom the Trooper who answered informed me he is in charge of the firearms stuff. He said several people have been trying to reach him, but he is off today for whatever reason, and has off this weekend, and my best bet is to try and reach him on Monday. Letters mailed out today.

I called the Hamilton NJSP yesterday to ask about my FID and they told me the oficer was out for the day, so I guess I will have to call back today. I have a friend that applied at the same station back in November and he is still waiting also.

I also sent letters to my 2 state assemblymen and my state senator explaining to them how the process is currently taking. I will be sending a letter to the AG and Fuentes later today.

I also sent letters to my 2 state assemblymen and my state senator explaining to them how the process is currently taking. I will be sending a letter to the AG and Fuentes later today.

Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Just to summarize what I've done:

Voiced my concerns to a random Trooper at the Woodbine Barracks.

Called the firearms unit and was hung up on by a lady..who sounded an awful lot like the one on the NJ2AS NJSP Phone call video.

Wrote my State Senator(Jeff Van Drew) and spoke to him personally. He said he would also voice my concerns with the two assemblymen.

Went in person to ask about the permits and was told to speak to Trooper Inserra, who hasn't returned my call and is now off for the next 3 days.

Wrote Colonel Fuentes

Wrote Attorney General Chiesa

I'm not sure how long much longer I want to give them before I meet with my attorney regarding this issue. This is a deprivation of civil rights, and there are a mess of other statutes that address the fact that I paid a fee for a "service" and have received none.

Clifton

FID and P2P

147 days

Most recent response on Day 144

"Your application is in the 'stack'. Hopefully it'll get signed within the next couple of weeks and you can come pick it up.

Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Just to summarize what I've done:

Voiced my concerns to a random Trooper at the Woodbine Barracks.

Called the firearms unit and was hung up on by a lady..who sounded an awful lot like the one on the NJ2AS NJSP Phone call video.

Wrote my State Senator(Jeff Van Drew) and spoke to him personally. He said he would also voice my concerns with the two assemblymen.

Went in person to ask about the permits and was told to speak to Trooper Inserra, who hasn't returned my call and is now off for the next 3 days.

Wrote Colonel Fuentes

Wrote Attorney General Chiesa

I'm not sure how long much longer I want to give them before I meet with my attorney regarding this issue. This is a deprivation of civil rights, and there are a mess of other statutes that address the fact that I paid a fee for a "service" and have received none.

Day 82. Monday I spoke with a Trooper at Trenton Headquarters who seemed to think that all of our info was simply "waiting approval". It was also in a stack of 700, (I'm sure estimated by height) and he said I should have it "soon".

This was brought up repeatedly at the Trenton hearings this week, in addition to the NICS delays. I've pointed out exactly why these delays are actually a danger to public safety.

I will be doing the same thing this weekend: crafting a letter to Fuentes, Chiesa, and perhaps the Internal Affairs division. Copying Doherty's office whom I haven't heard anything back from since last week.

"Volume" is not my problem. Fix the glitch, don't give excuses. If you don't want to hear me complain...fix the glitch.

Day 82. Monday I spoke with a Trooper at Trenton Headquarters who seemed to think that all of our info was simply "waiting approval". It was also in a stack of 700, (I'm sure estimated by height) and he said I should have it "soon".

This was brought up repeatedly at the Trenton hearings this week, in addition to the NICS delays. I've pointed out exactly why these delays are actually a danger to public safety.

I will be doing the same thing this weekend: crafting a letter to Fuentes, Chiesa, and perhaps the Internal Affairs division. Copying Doherty's office whom I haven't heard anything back from since last week.

"Volume" is not my problem. Fix the glitch, don't give excuses. If you don't want to hear me complain...fix the glitch.

Hmm, I may have to send one off to IA as well. I didn't think of that. Thank you. I'll be drafting up a letter now to get it off tomorrow morning before noon.

To make a complaint you may:

Call the Office of Professional Standards at our toll free recorded hot line: 1-877-253-4125, to speak to a representative Monday through Friday, between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. After 5:00 pm leave a message. You will receive a return call during business hours from our office.

Make your complaint in person, call Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, or write to the Commanding Officer at the Office of Professional Standards office located at:

810 Bear Tavern Road

Suite 310

West Trenton, NJ 08628

Telephone 1-877-253-4125

Fax (609) 882-2033

I'm glad I sent all of those letters out, because now I'm kind of angry.

My friend told me he applied at NJSP Woodbine in the second week of January(about a full month after I applied) and he got his permits in 2 and a half weeks ago, and took home his pistol(P226) today.

I applied Dec 20th, and am still waiting- 137 days.

how the hell'd you get a call this late on a sunday? i tried calling lindenwold pd on friday, and found out they're closed on fridays.....

When I went out to pick them up the Sergeant apologized for calling so late.

They are all dated 4/29/13....meaning they are already a week old. I pointed that out to him, and that NICS is taking 2+ weeks. He said they came with the date printed on them from Trenton, and the only thing he could do was when the 3rd was getting ready to expire, come in and get an extension. He said the extensions are running ~ 2 weeks.

Well all of my letters are in the mail still, if any of them call, I'll have to tell them that they crossed in the mail with the permits, but it's still ridiculous that I had to wait so long. All of the letters also mentioned the NICS taking 2-3 weeks as well, so that point still stands.

May have to go apply for more permits so in 4-5 months I'll have some to use again.

it is ashame that permit requests are different, in terms of paperwork and timeframe. town by town. So far, on this forum, there are 19 pages of posts, detailing each towns unique requirements. It appears that there is some, or a lot, of variation in requirements by each town and most applicants are facing a lengthly turn around time. It also appears that most permits are being issued way beyond the 30 day max. Amazing that we try to obey the law, but the issuance procedures as promulgated by the NJSP are not being closely followed by all towns. Make sure you use good friends as references!

Sent a letter to Fuentes over the weekend, the AG is next.

The trooper I talked to last week told me that they were with the firearms unit waiting final approval and a signature. But, that is what I have been told since February.

i just hung up with Bonnie over at lindenwold pd. i cannot say enough times how nice her, and the other lady that answer the phones over there are.

but.....still no permits. they are shorthanded, and backed up, but she's moved my stuff to the top. she also looked, to verify that there were no problems with my stuff, and as i knew it would be, she said it's flawless.

i asked her if she couldn't just snag one of the detectives for the 10 minutes that it would take to finish, then sign the paperwork. she said that even when it comes back from the state tha there's a bit more background mandated by the state that the detectives need to do. the chief's off today, but she's going to talk with him tomorrow, and see how she can get this stuff moving, not only for me, but others. she'd said there's a few of us that have been waiting a very long time. she's also going to have the chief call me back.

Got a call from a Lieutenant in Trenton regarding my e-mail to the Governor, and he said the long waits will continue. He said volume is way up after the Newtown shootings, and they are way understaffed for the amount of volume. I respectfully told him that we need to get more workers so that these long waits will not continue to be an issue for so many. He said he agreed, said we need more Troopers and more Clerks. That was pretty much all that was said other than me telling him I already got my permits.

Well he is full of sh*t NICS checks were higher on Dec2012&Jan2013 than Feb&March 2013 yet the NICS were a 1/4 of the wait time they are now

This phone call was in regards to permits to purchase. NJSP is my local PD. I don't know if it is the firearms unit or not who is doing the pistol permits.

All I know is the Sergeant at the local barracks said the permits come 100% filled out from Trenton- they aren't the ones doing the typing.

Got a call from a Lieutenant in Trenton regarding my e-mail to the Governor, and he said the long waits will continue. He said volume is way up after the Newtown shootings, and they are way understaffed for the amount of volume. I respectfully told him that we need to get more workers so that these long waits will not continue to be an issue for so many. He said he agreed, said we need more Troopers and more Clerks. That was pretty much all that was said other than me telling him I already got my permits.

I feel left out, I have emailed the Governor and my state representatives and haven't gotten any response back yet from any of them. And my state reps are all pro-2A!

Also just heard from an investigator with NJSP Internal Affairs. He said that he spoke to the firearms unit, gave me a ladies name and direct extension if I have any issues in the future, and I can also call him as well. I informed him that I received my permits on Sunday. He even admitted that 4.5 months is a long time to be waiting.

I told him about the NICS wait and he said they are just swamped with work, and they are working as fast as they can to get the work done. He said that what it boils down to is the massive increase in firearm sales since everyone is afraid of getting their guns taken away. I also mentioned the fact that PA isn't having this issue, I can go there buy a long gun and walk out with in in 15 minutes. He then went on to say that they are under a hiring freeze. He said even IA had 3 female employees retire, one pass away from cancer and none of them have been replaced.

I also informed him about the lady from the firearms unit who hung up on me when I inquired about my permits. He asked if I got her name, I said no, she didn't identify herself. He said they are supposed to answer the phone with State Police "name of the unit" and their name. I told him this didn't happen, they just answered it "Firearms unit". He said without a name, there isn't much he can do. He told me it's mainly civilians in that unit.

So maybe it's time to put pressure on our legislators to remove this "hiring freeze", at least on the firearms unit, if it even exists.

My friend lives in Bergenfield. All the standard paperwork. Got his FPID and a couple of P2P's three weeks after his fingerprinting appointment. Clearly it can be done within a reasonable time frame if a PD puts a priority on it.

ETA I received his reference letter 4 days after he turned in his initial paperwork.