Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I'm the new guy here. Just posted on Introductions.

I just got FID and PP's in Bridgewater...3 weeks. They were real helpful and professional

welcome..thats a land speed record...im jealous. it was 5 months for me initialy and im sure im looking at another 5 just for p2p's

I'm the new guy here. Just posted on Introductions.

I just got FID and PP's in Bridgewater...3 weeks. They were real helpful and professional

Excellent. Better than mine, actually. 24 days. 

From one "dobie" lover to another... Well done! :D

Seems some other towns are getting better?.....my buddy lives in Salem county and his pistol permits were taking 10-14 calendar days from drop off to pickup...the last couple he said were in excess of 2 months....so his is going the opposite direction....still better than most I guess

It is hard for me to understand the reason for the discrepancy from town to town. I'm still waiting on my P2Ps for over 60 days. The town next to me, I read in the forum, 3 weeks from start to finish, fid and p2p.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is hard for me to understand the reason for the discrepancy from town to town. I'm still waiting on my P2Ps for over 60 days. The town next to me, I read in the forum, 3 weeks from start to finish, fid and p2p.

The mistake you are making, and many do this, is you are applying logic to a political situation.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The mistake you are making, and many do this, is you are applying logic to a political situation.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

You are insinuating that the Chief of Police in my town was told to slow down the process for firearm permits by an official?

I think it is disregard for honest work, it can wait till tomorrow attitude.

I could be wrong.

It is hard for me to understand the reason for the discrepancy from town to town. I'm still waiting on my P2Ps for over 60 days. The town next to me, I read in the forum, 3 weeks from start to finish, fid and p2p. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only logical explanation to me is the actual place of application....the general line from the locations that have long waits is "still waiting on the state police"...which doesn't seem possible when the locations that provide expeditious processing use the same state police firearms unit.....I can only believe it is either laziness/disregard for the need to do it in any realistic timeframe....or worse it is intentional delays because they disagree with the belief it's a right/anyone "needs" a gun but them .......

The only logical explanation to me is the actual place of application....the general line from the locations that have long waits is "still waiting on the state police"...which doesn't seem possible when the locations that provide expeditious processing use the same state police firearms unit.....I can only believe it is either laziness/disregard for the need to do it in any realistic timeframe....or worse it is intentional delays because they disagree with the belief it's a right/anyone "needs" a gun but them .......

I agree on the laziness and disregard line of thinking.

Went to my PD today to get a permit extended and was told "You better have a really good reason"

So I took the form letter, wrote my reasons, and brought it back to the ladies in the window.

"Wow did you write a book?"

I can't handle people

I agree on the laziness and disregard line of thinking.

It's a number of things.  Back in the mid 90s I got my FID from edison. Six weeks. They had three times a week you could get printed, and someone was always there for those times.Most of the work was done by the licensing clerks because the town was big enough. There were two bottlenecks. 1) the state police. No not because they are magically slow for one town but not another, but because of the exchange of funds. 2) The chief of police. It's a very political position in that town, and he can't be bother to sign stuff for mere mortals. This would usually persist until the little old lady would set him straight about the order of things. I always suspected that such reminders revolved around the fact that not only was she there before him, she'd be there after him, but that her department generated revenue. 

Given her age at the time, I suspect she is gone now, and the process has suffered for it. 

One of the other common behaviors is to work in batches. You let them pile up until you have a solid chunk of work you could schedule an afternoon or day for, and then you push them all forward a notch. When I did my change of address in woodbridge, I talked with the officer doing it, and they would sort of do that. They'd more or less process twice a month. I got in right before, and the stack was about an inch thick.  

Applied for 3 pistol permits on January 23rd. They were ready as of yesterday February 11th. 20 days including weekends. Toms river getting much better and all the extra paperwork was gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denville: Application for 2 P2Ps submitted 12/19/13, received 2/7/14.

extreme jealousy!!!   ..j/k anyone ever try to get a valid excuse from NJSP as to why towns can turn shite over in 20 days and they take 6 months?

extreme jealousy!!! ..j/k anyone ever try to get a valid excuse from NJSP as to why towns can turn shite over in 20 days and they take 6 months?

They probably would say the same thing "still waiting on the sp firearms unit" must be the response on a cue card they issue to the processing officers...lol

I called my PD yesterday, they said that they are waiting for a batch to arrive from the state.

I guess if you send a batch you have to wait fora batch, confirming your speculation re: working in batches.

Either way it is disregard for timely responsible work habits.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I am still waiting since August of 2013. Political nonsense and an unofficial black list in the town are the culprits. I am contacting the NJ Governors office today and insisting on talking with an aide - no more filling out complaint forms. I WANT SOME ACTION!!!!!

Well I'm starting to really get frustrated with Edison now because the last permit took 6 months and I've already been waiting about 5 for this one. I'm putting in another application tomorrow for a future purchase I've already decided to make. Too bad I probably won't see that permit till sometime in July.

Because of the amount of time the process makes this last application will likely be the last PP I apply for until I move somewhere more free.

quick question..

are there any extra requirements that they ask for besides the standard 2 forms? also, whats the update on your situation? I'm looking to move to edison but this whole process might be a deterrent .. thanks

Been waiting 6 months as of yesterday 2/22 and that is only for a single P2P. I have since then put in application for additional permits .. expecting those to get held up until July-August. I live in Edison and the cops here are infamous for disregarding the law so its not like I expected them to give a rats ass about the 30 day requirement.

As far as the required forms, just the background check the consent to a mental health background check and the your usual personal info and references.

Picked up my 3 p2ps from Branchburg Township. They didn't require any extra papers or forms other than the normal.

I applied on December 6 2013, 80 days waiting. I went to get my new gun out and wasn't able to. The PD dated the permit with tomorrow's date, so there you go. One more day.

Normally Jack Bryden in Ewing is a reasonable guy. He's never busted the 30 day limit for my permits and is very professional. However, I just applied for three P2Ps this week and was told that the NJSP don't like ("give me a hard time" is how he put it) issuing more than two at a time. He also explained that it's not possible to buy three guns within 90 days due to OGAM. Last time I went in (last year) I was applying for just two P2Ps and Jack encouraged me to get three anyway, just in case.

WTH? Are the State Police becoming BIGGER asses as people push back?

I did 8 and a waiver in Montville just over 1 month. Props to Montville and SP on this one.

STILL WAITING in Edison, going on 7 months now. i called and got the bs run around. I was told that one of my references never replied (luckily I applied for another round already and I was asked why I put in for more permits. I said "because I want more permits" and was told "you should have let us know you had an application in already, it confused us" … friggin 7 months and counting …  Hate to say it but I'm done after this last round no more permit BS as long as i stay living here in Edison.

STILL WAITING in Edison, going on 7 months now. i called and got the bs run around. I was told that one of my references never replied (luckily I applied for another round already and I was asked why I put in for more permits. I said "because I want more permits" and was told "you should have let us know you had an application in already, it confused us" … friggin 7 months and counting … Hate to say it but I'm done after this last round no more permit BS as long as i stay living here in Edison.

Then they have accomplished their goal.

BH changed the process. it MIGHT be faster, so let's test.

New procedure...

• download and print MH check and Firearms Application.
  • go online and complete criminal records check ($20 fee.)
  • print out 2 Reference Letter forms (8 Yes/No questions.... answer no to them all, sign, print, date.) and have them filled out.
  • deliver or mail all the paperwork and a check for the permit fees ($2ea) to the Sarge in Charge.
  • wait (hopefully less than before.) :)
will update as we go.

2014/03/11 completed paperwork and online criminal background check. attempted to drop off paperwork, but the sgt. is out until Wednesday. not sweating that delay.

2014/03/12 informed by the sgt. that he accepted my online 212A last night. (he's working from home!??!)

expecting to drop off paperwork sometime Wednesday to him. dropped it off this afternoon. BG check done today. the MH check is the one that I'm waiting on now.

2014/03/13 no report.

2014/03/14 just got notice... paperwork is on the clerk's desk and then on to the chief.

2014/03/22 just got the call... permits are in and ready for pick up.

that's a total of 11 days from when I started. I have to say, that's not bad.

Then they have accomplished their goal.

Not exactly, I will have reached a point where my current inventory of handguns will be enough that I don't really have a need to buy more. The only possible situation that I would need another handgun for is if I were to obtain my carry permit and I don't plan on doing that for some time anyway. Now I will simply turn my attention to increasing my inventory of long guns, they haven't really prevented me from obtaining more firearms but just from going through the nonsensical process of applying for permits.

Is the process any different if you already have a FID card and have had permits?

Process should be the same. Only difference is you shouldn't need to be fingerprinted again.

Going on 3 months now in Franklin Twp/Somerset..

How do FFLs typically feel about "holding" stuff for people who are waiting for their PPs? My FFL said they are fine with holding but I feel like a jerk for making them do it.

Had something shipped to them last week and it's just waiting for me there now..

Process should be the same. Only difference is you shouldn't need to be fingerprinted again.

Going on 3 months now in Franklin Twp/Somerset..

How do FFLs typically feel about "holding" stuff for people who are waiting for their PPs? My FFL said they are fine with holding but I feel like a jerk for making them do it.

Had something shipped to them last week and it's just waiting for me there now..

I think it depends on the FFL but I dont think it should be a big deal. 

Did they take a deposit?  If so, they're covered if for some reason you dont go through with the purchase.