Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I am not expecting to get my FID any time soon but, has anyone from the Keyport or Aberdeen area have any idea how long it may take? Application for initial and 2 P2P`s were submitted on 4/16, got printed on 4/24, and reference's sent back their letters this past week. I`ll update when I receive mine.

Buddy of mine lives in aberdeen , took just under 2 months last year.

How long does it typically take after the PD told you all documents required are in place?

Have a look at our Google doc that some gracious members have contributed to in the spirit of gathering data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AskYSpmCHJ0ldGxmVmxpYkptQWoyandPVG9ISkZubFE&usp=sharing

Today, I got a call from Doloreas from the Aberdeen PD, she told me that I had to sign a release for them because Target would not release my info to them. I asked her how long could I expect to get my FID, she said within the next two weeks. I can not complain about Aberdeen, that`s fast. Even my buddy who is part of the Monmouth County Sheriff`s office said that was fast. So far, 15 days. And if I get it within two week, under 30 days. My dad had to wait 9 months to get his from Old Bridge.

If I remember, I will update this post and add to the chart when I officially have it in hand.

Target? Release info?

What is that about.

That I don`t know. Maybe it`s to make sure that I work there and that I`m idiot at work...just a guess.

She told me that she wished more companies did that. Her words, not mine.

That I don`t know. Maybe it`s to make sure that I work there and that I`m idiot at work...just a guess.

She told me that she wished more companies did that. Her words, not mine.

Probably your company (I assume "Target") engaging in standard "legal liability" protections by not disclosing any information about you without your consent, lest they say something for which you could sue them. When I was in the corporate world, requiring such consent was SOP, for a number of things, especially with Human Resources. If other companies would call me for a reference about a former employee, I would not be allowed to talk to them directly. I'd have to refer them to Human Resources who would, in turn, give only very limited information (i.e. dates of hire/termination, job title, and (perhaps), if we'd hire them again). But no other info, no salary/compensation info, etc. etc. 

To be honest, though, I have a serious issue with "verifying employment" as being part of this process. I don't understand why one's employment status is any indicator of whether or not a person is worthy of owning firearms and why employment must be verified in this way. Psychiatric History? Yes. Criminal History? Of course. But employment?  AFAIC, it's none of the employer's business whether or not I own firearms, as long as I don't "bring them to work" for any reason, or unless I specifically list the employer as one of my references. Increasingly, employers are feeling free to regulate their employee's conduct "off the job," and I can see where an "anti-gun" employer might be keen to fire the employee if they discover s/he is or is attempting to be a gun owner.

I have no issue if they want to get some information on me. I have nothing to hide. If they want to know that I work as an unloader for crap pay, by all means. But that`s just me though, I know other people have a lot of reservations when it comes to their information being available for others to see.

I have no issue if they want to get some information on me. I have nothing to hide. If they want to know that I work as an unloader for crap pay, by all means. But that`s just me though, I know other people have a lot of reservations when it comes to their information being available for others to see.

I would not have a problem with people knowing that don't control/influence my ability to "make a living" (employers/clients) or my day-to-day existence (neighbors). If I choose to list any of them as my references, that's one thing. But, if I don't, they should not find out what I'm doing from the PD.  Privacy...

Maybe it's part of the law? Again, I'm just guessing.

I believe it's more "discretion of the investigating authority" (i.e., CLEO or designees). The law may require us to provide the info on the sts-033, but the investigating authority has the discretion in how it's vetted/verified.  What's really weird to me is why the info. is listed on the end docs themselves (i.e. FID & P2P)... What difference would that make to an FFL or the archive keepers (i.e. the "every day" people who need to view the docs)?

But if I got a call from my corporate office, and they told me that I couldn't own a firearm, than there would be issues I'd take up with my lawyer.

If it ever comes to that, I'd just quit and find a new job, rather than go through the expense (and aggravation) of suing them.  If I were to sue, they'd end up terminating me, anyway... same end result... :dontknow:

Have a friend who I've convinced to get his FID. His town PD Is telling him the referal letters MUST be notorized. I don't believe this is true and will be looking further into it once I get home. Can anyone else say for sure that the referral letter DOES NOT have to be notorized. This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds like either his town PD is ignorant or intentionally adding addiditional requirements to the process.

Have a friend who I've convinced to get his FID. His town PD Is telling him the referal letters MUST be notorized. I don't believe this is true and will be looking further into it once I get home. Can anyone else say for sure that the referral letter DOES NOT have to be notorized. This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds like either his town PD is ignorant or intentionally adding addiditional requirements to the process.

The PDs can do what they want. Cherry Hill has been doing this for years, and the NJ2AS has done nothing to help.

My township did not require notarization, to my knowledge.  My references did not report needing to notarize.

Probably something they do so they can make it difficult, or at least more of a nuisance to get it. Aberdeen, where I applied for mine, didn't need to have it done. References just sent the letter back in the provided preaddressed and pre stamped envelope..

He dropped off his forms today and now he is being told his references have to come in in person.  WTF.  Cranford must be very anti.  I don't mind b/c I only like 10 minutes away but this is absurd. 

I know there is a multitude of this type of question and I do apologize in advance.

I am currently waiting for a decision from my local poilce department in regards to my initial FID and P2P.  I know there is a difference in expectations versus reality in regards to this matter.  I also understand there is a difference in the 30 day response statute and application of that statute by the individual towns.

If anyone has any experience dealing with Scotch Plains, it would be greatly appreciated.  I want to handle this as professionally as possible and would like your feedback.

Applications Submitted: April 04, 2014

- I was told six weeks was the current turn around time given their deptartment's work load

Checks were cashed and cleared on April 10, 2014.  References returned their letters to the PD by April 18, 2014.

On April 28, 2014, I called the PD and inquired as to the status of my application.  I was told I was in the final stages and I should receive my letter in one to two weeks.

As of today, I have yet to receive any indication from the PD.  I have a pto coming up this Thursday, and I wanted to stop by the PD and inquire in person.  Is there a different approach I should take?

Thanks in advance. 

First post,

Union City, NJ, Hudson County, (58 days)

They weren't very friendly or approachable, and when I asked about following up, I was just told "its a long wait, we'll call you".

3/27 - handed in initial FPID with 1 P2P

4/1 - both references recieved their letters, which needed to be notarized

4/12 - got fingerprinted, it was the closest day available on a saturday

Delays - one of my references lost his letter, so i had to get him another, he didn't hand it in til 5/9

5/27 - got called to pick them up

i wasn't expecting to get it so soon looking thru the experiences here.  Might have been sooner if the reference letter was sent in quickly.

I'll give mine cause I don't see many for Middletown Township here

My initial FID took about 3 months

I applied for two P2P on 4/15, my references got their letters on or around 5/16

My one reference sent his back in the mail, they received it

The other brought his back in person, they sent it back to him a week later for some unknown reason my guess to slow the process

He is bringing it back in person again today because I know the lady is working right now

In a perfect world, I would get the call today but I know that won't be the case. Probably another 2 weeks, I'm trying to be patient because I know some wait much longer but I'm not very good at that lol

I`ll add one for Aberdeen since I don`t see one

Initial FID submitted April 14th

Fingerprinted April 23rd

References sent back letters around April 28th

Received initial FID and 2 p2p`s on 6/3

Total wait time ~40 days

The Aberdeen police department was both helpful and courteous. The detective I dealt with, I believe detective Louse, and the receptionist Dolores were both very considerate.   

I'll give mine cause I don't see many for Middletown Township here

My initial FID took about 3 months

I applied for two P2P on 4/15, my references got their letters on or around 5/16

My one reference sent his back in the mail, they received it

The other brought his back in person, they sent it back to him a week later for some unknown reason my guess to slow the process

He is bringing it back in person again today because I know the lady is working right now

In a perfect world, I would get the call today but I know that won't be the case. Probably another 2 weeks, I'm trying to be patient because I know some wait much longer but I'm not very good at that lol

2 weeks later, still waiting. Going to call in the morning after I check the mail. Talked to someone in my township and supposedly my dept is very anti-2A, the Chief only signs the papers on Mondays.