Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

Applied for a change of address for my FID card and a PP on 12-4-14 with the River Vale PD. I needed the standard forms and references and had to do background check online. Received call today that everything was ready for pickup. I thought the turnaround was pretty good since it was my first experience with this PD and with the holidays.

Are "they", the police supposed to fill out this form or are we?

No, the person applying fills it out not the PD.

Somers Point hands out a flyer explaining the process and to contact the PD if you have difficulty doing it yourself online.

You pay for the background check with a Credit or Debit Card. The results are forwarded to the PD.

Per NJSP website:

Requests for a Criminal History Record Information (CHRI), for Non Criminal Justice purposes can be submitted here.

The online 212A Form should be used only after consultation with your local Police Department or the State Agency that is responsible for the type of licensing needed. You must first obtain an Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) Number from the licensing department to complete this form. Incorrect ORI Number may result in non-processing of your form.

Each submission costs $20.00, payable by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit or debit card.

This form can't be used for a personal background check.

The biggest issue is my area of NJ I hear about is forms are not filled correctly, hand written.

I do believe some towns do delay permit process for one reason or another. Either be it a conscious effort, reduction in personnel or allocation to part time connected to other duties

INTERESTED IN READING RESULTS OF SURVEY

Washington Township (Warren County)

18 days to get my P2P (just received it today for the brand-new Beretta Inox Brigadier I just got).

20 days in June of 2013 when I moved up here to re-issue the FID.

No extra forms at all & the department secretary is a sweetheart!

Dropped off on 1/20/15 and received on 2/16/15. Only 17 days!

Do you have a time machine? 2-16-15 is 6 days into the future from now.B) and if the answer is yes, would you please bring me back to the 1980's next time you fire it up?

Burrough of Hopatcong

Debbie at the at the window handles paperwork, 3 permits paid for $6

Dropped application off on 1-20-15

Online background check completed and paid for 1-20-15 paid online $20

3 Permits issued 2-19-15

31 days to issue

Toms River, PD

Dropped off paper work  2/19/15 The nice lady behind the counter said 4-6 weeks.  ?

I was also quoted 4-6 wks.  Thankfully, I got the call exactly three weeks to the day after I submitted the forms to the PD.

From what I have been reading, they usually get them done in four weeks. 

Good luck!

Hoboken contacted my employer with a standard form that requests to verify my address and SSN. The form very clearly states that I am seeking a P2P or FPID, then asks if there is any reason I should not be able to purchase a firearm.

Naturally, my boss does not know my SSN. I saw that it was mailed 2 weeks after I submitted the forms, so at least that's not so bad.

Is there a link to the results thus far?

I realize some of you guys have to wait like forever. It sucks.

But I would like to take a poll of my own. On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being most urgent, 0 = completely unimportant to you, where does this issue fall in relation to:

1. Draconian mandatory sentencing for

a) purchasing stuff without a purchase card

b) possession of a handgun outside of exempted locations

c) possession of a single round of hollow-point .22lr at Shop Rite

d) total lack of concealed carry, including arrests of out-of-state permit holders?

e) having a loaded rifle or handgun in your car

f) driving around with hollow point ammo in your trunk

2. the permitting process itself -- adults having to ask permission to buy a gun

3. One gun per month

4. non-existent concealed carry

I would rank all these issues way above having to wait 5 weeks vs. 4 weeks. The fact you have to wait at all is the real travesty. 

I waited around two months last time around if memory serves me. Big deal. I have enough stuff already to last me a lifetime. It sucks, it's stupid, it's galling, it can be expensive if your FFL charges storage as one does around here (NOT Mastodon), and it's degrading to have to ask a cop half your age if you can exercise a basic right. But the fact that they take 31 days vs. the statutory 30 days is but a minor added insult. 

Just my opinion. 

Is there a link to the results thus far?

I realize some of you guys have to wait like forever. It sucks.

But I would like to take a poll of my own. On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being most urgent, 0 = completely unimportant to you, where does this issue fall in relation to:

a) purchasing stuff without a purchase card

b) possession of a handgun outside of exempted locations

c) possession of a single round of hollow-point .22lr at Shop Rite

d) total lack of concealed carry, including arrests of out-of-state permit holders?

e) having a loaded rifle or handgun in your car

f) driving around with hollow point ammo in your trunk

2. the permitting process itself -- adults having to ask permission to buy a gun

3. One gun per month

4. non-existent concealed carry

I would rank all these issues way above having to wait 5 weeks vs. 4 weeks. The fact you have to wait at all is the real travesty. 

I waited around two months last time around if memory serves me. Big deal. I have enough stuff already to last me a lifetime. It sucks, it's stupid, it's galling, it can be expensive if your FFL charges storage as one does around here (NOT Mastodon), and it's degrading to have to ask a cop half your age if you can exercise a basic right. But the fact that they take 31 days vs. the statutory 30 days is but a minor added insult. 

Just my opinion. 

a) purchasing stuff without a purchase card 4

b) possession of a handgun outside of exempted locations 4

c) possession of a single round of hollow-point .22lr at Shop Rite 6

d) total lack of concealed carry, including arrests of out-of-state permit holders? 6

e) having a loaded rifle or handgun in your car 6

f) driving around with hollow point ammo in your trunk 6

2. the permitting process itself -- adults having to ask permission to buy a gun 1000

3. One gun per month 1000

4. non-existent concealed carry 1000

Why should we need permission to purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun? why should employers be notified that you are buying a handgun (my PD discloses model, make, caliber, etc. to the employer)?

Why? Why do we need special permission and the rest of free America is doing just fine with a DL or State ID and the Federal 4473 form?

The NJ COE is registration, seller/dealer must keep a copy and NJSP can ask to view them at anytime. Is that not registration? is the 4473 the ATF requires for every other state not good enough?

Hoboken contacted my employer with a standard form that requests to verify my address and SSN. The form very clearly states that I am seeking a P2P or FPID, then asks if there is any reason I should not be able to purchase a firearm.

Naturally, my boss does not know my SSN. I saw that it was mailed 2 weeks after I submitted the forms, so at least that's not so bad.

Somers Point in South Jersey is the same way, playing detective and fishing for a reason to deny you.

Small town PD's are a joke when it comes to FPID/P2P applications, only NJSP handles things properly (well, most of the time). Example, NJSP contacts the employer but makes NO reference to firearms and they will not ask irrelevant questions such as "why do you need a gun?" or "why X amount of handguns?".

Small towns with cops on a power trip, that's our worst enemy.

What if some employer and you had an argument, told each other to **** off and he/she receives that form and decides to get even with you? they could write anything and the PD would deny the FPID or P2P unless a judge says otherwise.

Open to abuse, it's also a serious privacy issue. What if the employer is anti-gun, do you think they would return the form? probably end up in the trash or a lie along the lines of "danger to self and others" written on it.

How does your PD notify employer of make / model / caliber before you buy them using P2P ? Or do they send a copy of filled out P2P to employer after the fact ?

Someone I know did 2 exemptions, local PD called and said "He is buying XXX handgun in XXX caliber, and XXX handgun in XXX caliber".

Somers Point not only pushes extra paperwork on you but they are great at double talking and questioning every applicant, goes way above and beyond the NJSP requirements.

Oh and they fill out the P2P ahead of time so you can't use it for another gun, my FFL in North Jersey had never seen anything like it before.

Change mind and want something else? kiss the chiefs *** and beg for another permit.

I live in a small town. I've never had to wait more than 30 days for anything except for once, when the officer was being sued by some insane people. 

Previous poster: How does your employer not know your SS#? Are you from Honduras?

Carcano, you and I normally agree but I'd rather wait 6 weeks for a purchase permit than spend 7 years getting anally impregnated by a child rapist in Rahway.

I live in a small town. I've never had to wait more than 30 days for anything except for once, when the officer was being sued by some insane people.

Previous poster: How does your employer not know your SS#? Are you from Honduras?

Carcano, you and I normally agree but I'd rather wait 6 weeks for a purchase permit than spend 7 years getting anally impregnated by a child rapist in Rahway.

The police in your town are awesome, one of them shows his cock to young guys he pulls over lol....:o