Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

Hey guys, ive been lurking on this site for a while. Some good stuff here.

I recently moved to NJ from NYC, ( went through the whole process there to get a Rifle permit) but i have to say NJ is alot worse.

Hoboken PD,

Officer McDamara (sp) handles the paperwork it seems.

I applied for an initial FID and a few p2p around Feb 20. Also filled out Hoboken PD question form. Initially told 3 months.

March 3 was figerprinted

Early May my references were mailed and promptly returned.

I called about a month ago and got the run around, was told that FID's were not important to them and they have better things to do.

Not given any info on timing, just that he has to his job and the Lu has to do his, whatever that means.

Heading into the 5th month of waiting.

NYC permits were costly, took some time, but were not as invasive as NJ, i think it took around 3 months and during that time Sandy Conn, happened so there was a big surge.

Welcome to the suck. I just did a round of permits and politely told them I refuse to fill their illegal forms. They will send a form to your employer asking about firearms, just so you know. That's not the intention of confirming your employment, but they seem to sneak it in.

McNamara is a nice guy, but they stick guys like him on desk detail when they should be retiring instead. Keep on him and push the issue right back. I called each week and it took 85 days.

Welcome to the suck. I just did a round of permits and politely told them I refuse to fill their illegal forms. They will send a form to your employer asking about firearms, just so you know. That's not the intention of confirming your employment, but they seem to sneak it in.

McNamara is a nice guy, but they stick guys like him on desk detail when they should be retiring instead. Keep on him and push the issue right back. I called each week and it took 85 days.

I got in touch with him yesterday after my post, he finally said that his job was done, it was moved on to the lieutenant for criminal check and should be another 4-6 weeks.

So i am looking at over 6 months. At least i know where i stand but that is a long long time. 

I got in touch with him yesterday after my post, he finally said that his job was done, it was moved on to the lieutenant for criminal check and should be another 4-6 weeks.

So i am looking at over 6 months. At least i know where i stand but that is a long long time.

That burns me. HPD has someone do part but not all of the job,

That burns me. HPD has someone do part but not all of the job, then punts on the delay.

Nothing wrong with calling to check. I think it was Lt Marnell in charge of this prior. If you want to call to check each week, I believe x2104 will get you straight to their buereu of investigation.

That burns me. HPD has someone do part but not all of the job, then punts on the delay.

Nothing wrong with calling to check. I think it was Lt Marnell in charge of this prior. If you want to call to check each week, I believe x2104 will get you straight to their buereu of investigation.

Thanks Junkie,  ill give it a few days and give a ring.  BTW what type of shooting are you into ? and what are your fav local shops and ranges. Ive only been to rtsp, only place that rents guns wo fid.. I actually didnt know how good i had it in staten island, i was a member of richmond boro gun club, had 100 yd rifle range, separate pistol and separate steel target range, tons of matches, too bad i only had rifle permit. 

Sayreville update. Applied for an address change and 3 permits on 6/10/15. Got the call yesterday 6/2/2015 to pick everything up. Total of 22 days. Placed an order for a Glock 10mm shortly after pickup.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Went back in time?

Then yours should be ready soon I'd think. I should have the 10mm on Tuesday. Can't wait to take it to the range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes, maybe next week. I hope so. I have a Springfield TRP operator and an HK USP waiting for me!

Clifton - already possess FID and had a few permits in the past.

5/15/2015 submitted paperwork for 4 permits with 3 handguns on exemption paperwork.

7/6/2015 Got a call today I can pick up one permit because the exemption as not come in yet. Detective said probably another week for the exemption.

52 days for the permit. Let's see how long the exemption takes.

Update on Buena Borough at week 13+. OIC returned my call today. Said that they have not received my employer survey. So I asked when it was mailled. He gave me 2 dates of when it went out. I own the Corp and get the mail. They were never mailed out. I didn't call him out on it, I asked if I could stop in and fill out the form. So I stopped in and the form asks about the mental competency of the employee, his relationship with others, if he is addicted to drugs or alchol, anger issues etc....I filled out the form and gave it back to the OIC because I want my permits at this point. I have been waiting way to long for a change of address and 3 handgun permits.

Once I get my fid in hand. What can I do? Its not right that they clearly violate nj law and are not chalenged. If I chalenged them in court things may change but in reality I still lose because my taxes will likely increase to cover the legal fees of the PD. This is a township of only 1700 people made up of a large portion old farmers. How could it get to the point of being anti-firearm?

Update on Buena Borough at week 13+. OIC returned my call today. Said that they have not received my employer survey. So I asked when it was mailled. He gave me 2 dates of when it went out. I own the Corp and get the mail. They were never mailed out. I didn't call him out on it, I asked if I could stop in and fill out the form. So I stopped in and the form asks about the mental competency of the employee, his relationship with others, if he is addicted to drugs or alchol, anger issues etc....I filled out the form and gave it back to the OIC because I want my permits at this point. I have been waiting way to long for a change of address and 3 handgun permits.

Once I get my fid in hand. What can I do? Its not right that they clearly violate nj law and are not chalenged. If I chalenged them in court things may change but in reality I still lose because my taxes will likely increase to cover the legal fees of the PD. This is a township of only 1700 people made up of a large portion old farmers. How could it get to the point of being anti-firearm?

I see your got a Directory of Public Safety. Setup an appointment with him and have a chat. Then Mayor. You may also want to drop politely written letters to both before meeting.  Be sure to send them a copy of ruling regarding PDs sticking to forms prescribed by State Police.  

Jackson just told me the wait is 3 months + apparently i have to go on some website to answer question? and it costs 20 dollars to print out the receipt  and then they'll contact my references 

Yes, you have to complete the check online. Local PD's used to do it but now it has to be done online...need a credit or debit card and it takes about 5 minutes.

No need to print anything, the result is sent the the local PD electronically.

The 3+ month wait I would challenge, after it hit's the 30 day mark I would start calling once a week and ask for updates and eventually make it a point to call once daily. 

Remember, State Law says they have 30 days to issue a FPID or P2P so don't feel bad rubbing it in and calling them after the 30 day mark.

Yes, you have to complete the check online. Local PD's used to do it but now it has to be done online...need a credit or debit card and it takes about 5 minutes.

The 3+ month wait I would challenge, after it hit's the 30 day mark I would start calling once a week and ask for updates and eventually make it a point to call once daily. 

Remember, State Law says they have 30 days to issue a FPID or P2P so don't feel bad rubbing it in and calling them after the 30 day mark.

oh she told me that i have to print it out,. go there with the proof and then they'll give me the pistol permit forum :banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

My local PD told me it was at least 3mo wait. I'm scared they will prolong it if I start to bother after 1mo. Already been 5.5 weeks.

oh she told me that i have to print it out,. go there with the proof and then they'll give me the pistol permit forum  :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I dropped my P2P application off at the local PD and the Sgt. handed me the instruction sheet to complete the check online. I completed the check and the results were sent to him...after that I just had to wait for the call to schedule a time/date to pickup my permits.

Do you have a printer? go to the following link and select SP-66 and "application for firearms purchaser identification card". Print it out and complete it at home. DO NOT sign or date the application, that must be done in person at the PD but everything else can be completed at home to save time. http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

If they are giving you a hard time call the New Jersey State Police Firearms Unit at 609-882-2000 extension 2060 and ask for clarification. The people I've spoken to at NJSP have always been helpful and gone by the book, NJSP is actually fast it's the local PD's that drag their feet and create rules not on the book as they go.

Also, remember any extra forms are ILLEGAL so if the PD pulls out any extra paperwork it's not approved by NJSP and you are not required to complete it..

My local PD told me it was at least 3mo wait. I'm scared they will prolong it if I start to bother after 1mo. Already been 5.5 weeks.

Keep calling and asking what the delay is, they work for us (the public) and while that sounds blunt it's the truth. Remind them of the 30 day requirement, be firm and be polite. If they still give you a hard time let them know you will discuss the matter with an attorney.

I made the mistake of being overly nice to the local PD and complying with illegal demands (extra forms not approved by NJSP). I now treat it as a business matter, if I do not hear back within 30 days the calls and daily email start and progress is made.

Edit: On my initial FPID application they dragged me along for 2+ months, I sent an email to Mr. Nappen asking for his service and a quote. To my surprise he sent them an email and called them on my behalf, he refused to take any compensation for his service (making the call and sending the email). The Sgt. at the time who handled the permits called me around 6AM apologizing and insisting it would be available for pickup ASAP...and it was. Your results may vary, if it comes down to it you will find attorneys willing to draft a letter and send it certified mail for about $100, only do this as a last resort if all other means fail.

I see your got a Directory of Public Safety. Setup an appointment with him and have a chat. Then Mayor. You may also want to drop politely written letters to both before meeting.  Be sure to send them a copy of ruling regarding PDs sticking to forms prescribed by State Police.  

What would I call that ruling in order to be able to search it out? Or do you have a link? I will take a copy with me and discuss it with them AFTER I get my FID card handed to me. I will approach it by offering to help. Wife and I are already involved in the community and I would be willing to do more. It really is a fantastic place to live, I wish it didnt have this one little black cloud hanging over it.

Keep calling and asking what the delay is, they work for us (the public) and while that sounds blunt it's the truth. Remind them of the 30 day requirement, be firm and be polite. If they still give you a hard time let them know you will discuss the matter with an attorney.

I made the mistake of being overly nice to the local PD and complying with illegal demands (extra forms not approved by NJSP). I now treat it as a business matter, if I do not hear back within 30 days the calls and daily email start and progress is made.

Edit: On my initial FPID application they dragged me along for 2+ months, I sent an email to Mr. Nappen asking for his service and a quote. To my surprise he sent them an email and called them on my behalf, he refused to take any compensation for his service (making the call and sending the email). The Sgt. at the time who handled the permits called me around 6AM apologizing and insisting it would be available for pickup ASAP...and it was. Your results may vary, if it comes down to it you will find attorneys willing to draft a letter and send it certified mail for about $100, only do this as a last resort if all other means fail.

I've heard nothing but good things about Mr. Nappen. Thanks for your advice.

What would I call that ruling in order to be able to search it out? Or do you have a link? I will take a copy with me and discuss it with them AFTER I get my FID card handed to me. I will approach it by offering to help. Wife and I are already involved in the community and I would be willing to do more. It really is a fantastic place to live, I wish it didnt have this one little black cloud hanging over it.

Print this out and present it to them:

N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3(f) states: “There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.”

So, it's Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/Application to purchase a handgun and SP-66 (consent for mental health records search). Those are the only two forms set forth as cited above.