Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I thought I'd share my lastest P2P experience from River Edge, since it's kind of different.

Normally it takes 3-4 weeks, which by all account is pretty good all things considered. Last Friday I submitted another application for 3 permits and they called me today, 1 week later and said they were ready.

I actually had to ask the lady who called if she was sure they were mine. To say I was shocked is an understatement!

Go River Edge I guess?

Franklin Boro 07416, Sussex County, NJ, April 2013.
51 years old, first time licensee and buyer.

Started April 9th, paying a $5 license application fee and $4 for two handgun permit apps ($9 total to the town), plus $57.50 (paid online) for an April 15th fingerprinting appointment with SAFRAN for the background check.

My license and permits were issued to me on May 29, 2015.

Tho it took nearly two months total, I must say the local PD was not merely tolerant (and in no way an obstacle) of another citizen acquiring firearms, they were all downright encouraging, from the receptionist/dispatcher to the few patrolmen I interacted with. They explained the process would take time, but not at the local level. It was the state's end of things that slowed the process down, especially in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings and the rush by the public to get weapons they believed would soon be made illegal. My town itself practically rushed my apps out and when they came back, they were fast to call and say "come get them!".

Besides, I waited 33 years longer than I had to to get my license. What's another 8 weeks? :)

Franklin Boro 07416, Sussex County, NJ, April 2013.

51 years old, first time licensee and buyer.

Started April 9th, paying a $5 license application fee and $4 for two handgun permit apps ($9 total to the town), plus $57.50 (paid online) for an April 15th fingerprinting appointment with SAFRAN for the background check.

My license and permits were issued to me on May 29, 2015.

Tho it took nearly two months total, I must say the local PD was not merely tolerant (and in no way an obstacle) of another citizen acquiring firearms, they were all downright encouraging, from the receptionist/dispatcher to the few patrolmen I interacted with. They explained the process would take time, but not at the local level. It was the state's end of things that slowed the process down, especially in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings and the rush by the public to get weapons they believed would soon be made illegal. My town itself practically rushed my apps out and when they came back, they were fast to call and say "come get them!".

Besides, I waited 33 years longer than I had to to get my license. What's another 8 weeks? :)

Sounds like they're lying because some towns do the whole process in a week or two.

Sounds like they're lying because some towns do the whole process in a week or two.

A week or two?!  It took me over a month to get my FPID, and now I'm 2 1/2 months in waiting for 2 P2P's to come back!   Man am I in the wrong town!

Well I finally (after calling Friday, Mon and yesterday all with no answer going to VM) got a hold of the ID dept lady on the phone this morning. She asked when I put in my application, so I said , she responded with "well he's currently taking about 4-5 months to process permits, so you have another month or two". What. The. Actual. Fuck. My town is pathetic.

Well I finally (after calling Friday, Mon and yesterday all with no answer going to VM) got a hold of the ID dept lady on the phone this morning. She asked when I put in my application, so I said , she responded with "well he's currently taking about 4-5 months to process permits, so you have another month or two". What. The. Actual. Fuck. My town is pathetic.

Wow sounds like she just openly admitted that they are purposefully holding it way past the 30 days.

Wow sounds like she just openly admitted that they are purposefully holding it way past the 30 days.

Oh absolutely, when I dropped off my permits I was told by the secretary at the PD "you should hear back from us in 4 months, give or take a month or so".  I just called today to see what kind of answer I'd get on the status.

I would try sending a certified letter to the chief of police, mayor, city council as well as your state senators and reps (and of course the officer in charge).  Making sure its clear who is getting the letter and nicely remind them all what the law is including the most recent push from Christie that they obey the law.  I did this when I got to 6 or 7 weeks, amazingly I got a call the next day from the officer that he had my change of address and p2p's.  Since then I've gotten them back 4 weeks to the day.  Well except ounce when my reference forgot to mail the paperwork back.

Just submitted another application for 3 pistol permits in Somers Point. I also handed in the old expired ones (they were already extended once).

City still requires you to fill out additional forms/application which is roughly 4-5 pages which requests employer information, previous addresses, information about other tenants, military service (if any), family history, and a few other things that I can't remember off hand.

Illegal? YES! Still, I filled it out. I wasn't in the mood to start a verbal argument. I just want my damn permits for the WW2 Browning GP35 I've been eyeing and maybe a .38 revolver for something different to add to my collection.

I will say this, the personnel are friendly/polite and somewhat talkative. It now appears that you can stop in anytime during business hours to submit your application. Before it was by appointment (IIRC) so service/availability has improved greatly.

Just submitted another application for 3 pistol permits in Somers Point. I also handed in the old expired ones (they were already extended once).

City still requires you to fill out additional forms/application which is roughly 4-5 pages which requests employer information, previous addresses, information about other tenants, military service (if any), family history, and a few other things that I can't remember off hand.

Illegal? YES! Still, I filled it out. I wasn't in the mood to start a verbal argument. I just want my damn permits for the WW2 Browning GP35 I've been eyeing and maybe a .38 revolver for something different to add to my collection.

I will say this, the personnel are friendly/polite and somewhat talkative. It now appears that you can stop in anytime during business hours to submit your application. Before it was by appointment (IIRC) so service/availability has improved greatly.

Wow...something has to be done about that.

Wow...something has to be done about that.

The form also gives them consent to investigate not only you but family, relatives and friends and anyone else who lives in the house. Singed and dated twice, I have nothing to hide but feel as if I am living in Nazi Germany. They already have two or three copies of the 'city firearm applications' I completed in the past on file and nothing has changed, why should I need to repeat the processes time and time again? better yet, why force illegal forms in the applicants face and require they complete it or refuse to issue permits?

The Lt. questioned me on my employment, how I advertise, and my income status last year. I felt this was very intrusive and outside the scope of the investigation. Apparently 'self-employed' wasn't good enough and I was required to give a more detailed description of my work which I provided. I was questioned on how I advertise (ie, do you run ads in the paper? yellow page listing?) No, I run a mail order electronics business and advertise online-only. Why should my income and employment status be taken into consideration when applying to purchase a handgun? Why should that be of concern to the Somers Point Police Dept? It shouldn't.

The form also gives them consent to investigate not only you but family, relatives and friends and anyone else who lives in the house. Singed and dated twice, I have nothing to hide but feel as if I am living in Nazi Germany. They already have two or three copies of the 'city firearm applications' I completed in the past on file and nothing has changed, why should I need to repeat the processes time and time again? better yet, why force illegal forms in the applicants face and require they complete it or refuse to issue permits?

The Lt. questioned me on my employment, how I advertise, and my income status last year. I felt this was very intrusive and outside the scope of the investigation. Apparently 'self-employed' wasn't good enough and I was required to give a more detailed description of my work which I provided. I was questioned on how I advertise (ie, do you run ads in the paper? yellow page listing?) No, I run a mail order electronics business and advertise online-only. Why should my income and employment status be taken into consideration when applying to purchase a handgun? Why should that be of concern to the Somers Point Police Dept? It shouldn't.

I guess, if you're running a successful business and making money with it, you won't be buying he gun in order to rob people!  :rolleyes::facepalm:

I guess, if you're running a successful business and making money with it, you won't be buying he gun in order to rob people!  :rolleyes::facepalm:

Right, because the crack house in Camden selling jennings/raven/bryco crotch-rockets with the S/N drilled out also performs NICS checks and complies with State/Federal law. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Yessss, I just got the call that my permits are ready.  So it took from July 26th, references received their forms and returned them the first week of August, and October 30th I got a call that my 2 P2P's (first ones) are available!

Red Lion NJSP. Dropped off app late March 2015. Prints taken early April. FID and PP issued Aug 5th. Got no call from them and after multiple calls to them by me (and getting blown off), I went there in person in early Oct. Found out FID and PP were sitting in their filing cabinet for 2 months so I basically only had a month left to use PP. Got busy at work and didn't get a chance to get to gun shop that is an hour drive from my house so I went back to barracks the day the PP expired for an extension. They took it from me and sent it back to Trenton (I thought they'd sign and extend it right then and there). That was Nov 5th. No call yet.... I will pay them a visit this week. Going on 8 months for this process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Red Lion NJSP. Dropped off app late March 2015. Prints taken early April. FID and PP issued Aug 5th. Got no call from them and after multiple calls to them by me (and getting blown off), I went there in person in early Oct. Found out FID and PP were sitting in their filing cabinet for 2 months so I basically only had a month left to use PP. Got busy at work and didn't get a chance to get to gun shop that is an hour drive from my house so I went back to barracks the day the PP expired for an extension. They took it from me and sent it back to Trenton (I thought they'd sign and extend it right then and there). That was Nov 5th. No call yet.... I will pay them a visit this week. Going on 8 months for this process.

Sorry to hear that, this is NJ it's not uncommon..

8 months is ridiculous, I would make it a point to call daily and keep the pressure on them.

Dropped off paperwork for a FID and 3 P2P's at NJSP Perryville, Hunterdon County.  Guy said it would be "about a month"

Well, I finally got my permits yesterday.  Two months and 26 days later.  My duplicate FPID is cut crooked.  What's really bothering me is my P2P's were printed fucking 9 days ago.  How the hell does anything take 9 days to travel from Trenton to Clinton?  

I hate this state.

Just to follow up. I finally went to Red Lion to check the status of my extension. Long story short, after over two months -- no where to be found.

I walked out and called the NJSP FIU in Trenton. After speaking with a very nice lady on the phone, she informed me it hadn't been extended yet, but that she would be extending it ASAP and having it mailed to my house. Now that's service. I now see where the weakest link is.

Change of address FID and 3 permits for me, and new FID and 3 permits for my wife. Dropped application on 12/11, was told would take 1.5 - 2 months. Received letter from Glen Ridge PD they're ready for pick-up on 2/1. The detective who handled the case was very professional, and moved very fast. I dropped the application on a Friday afternoon, my references got phone calls the next Monday morning.

Much, much faster than my initial FID, which took 6 months (that one was handled by Harrison PD). 

This post is slightly different. My wife received her reference letter for a friend. Her friend lives in Bloomfield. In the reference letter it has the usual questions and a section to put your name, address plus social security number and drivers license number.