For those reloading 9mm using 231, I was just curious as to what specs you use.. I have been loading 115gr fmj with 231 to only 4.1 grains, but I'm getting a few stove pipes, so i'm going to kick up the powder charge a bit..

anyone with similar components? shooting thru a Sig 226 fyi..

For those reloading 9mm using 231, I was just curious as to what specs you use.. I have been loading 115gr fmj with 231 to only 4.1 grains, but I'm getting a few stove pipes, so i'm going to kick up the powder charge a bit..

anyone with similar components? shooting thru a Sig 226 fyi..

PM sent

115 fmj 5.0 231 cci primer aol 1.130

Hey Tony - What gun you shooting it in and did you ever put it over a chrono? Now I run a 1.104 OAL but for me your load seems like it's starting to get a little hot. But it maybe my reduced case capacity.

lamma omni 9mm..

I have not used that load in 15 years..or so..

I use all AA powders now..still have some 231 in the cabinet though..LOL..

went back and looked at the load chart for winchester and the max is 5.1 so it is at the top.. most of all my loads for 9mm are always at the top.

I only shoot reduced loads in 38spl and 45acp wadcutters and semi wad cutters.

I use 5.3gr. of Power Pistol with a 124gr. FMJ Zero bullet. OAL is 1.158" and the crimp is 0.376". I know this is longer than most people use but I am still a novice and I would rather stay longer. Generally, you want the longest OAL that will work reliably. Factory ammo I checked is around 1.155" so I am close is factory specs. Velocity averages 1,050 FPS for a Power Factor of 130. Factory ammo is between 1,090 and 1,140 FPS with some even faster so it still has a softer recoil than factory ammo. Power Pistol is fairly clean with a little soot.

Guest schutzen-jager

4.5 grains alliant red dot w/ 125 grain lead or jacketed bullet -

I just recently tried some WSF and i thought it was meh. I think there's plenty of other better powders out there for 9mm minor. I made up several similar loads with WSF, Clays and N320 and frankly WSF ranked 3rd in that. I had no chrono, but going by the load manuals plus known loads for each to produce minor PF, i compared them all back to back. I also tried various reduced sub minor PF loads and it still wasn't the best. Mainly, its the recoil of WSF that was the harshest of the 3. I found them to all exhibit similar accuracy, though i shot them all off hand (no benching). N320 was the clear winner here for me with WSF being close to Clays but since WSF is slower burning, it produced more felt recoil for the same load levels.

Clays is fun if you want to experiment with something cheap. The super light loads i made with it and N320 were a lot of fun and felt like a .22 in my all steel CZ SP01.

I just recently tried some WSF and i thought it was meh. I think there's plenty of other better powders out there for 9mm minor. I made up several similar loads with WSF, Clays and N320 and frankly WSF ranked 3rd in that. I had no chrono, but going by the load manuals plus known loads for each to produce minor PF, i compared them all back to back. I also tried various reduced sub minor PF loads and it still wasn't the best. Mainly, its the recoil of WSF that was the harshest of the 3. I found them to all exhibit similar accuracy, though i shot them all off hand (no benching). N320 was the clear winner here for me with WSF being close to Clays but since WSF is slower burning, it produced more felt recoil for the same load levels.

Clays is fun if you want to experiment with something cheap. The super light loads i made with it and N320 were a lot of fun and felt like a .22 in my all steel CZ SP01.

Jon, what were you loading?

I shot N320, 231, and WSF back to back, and by far WSF was the nicest.

Maks, the 3 loads i compared were:

1) 4.7g WSF

2) 3.6g Clays

3) 4.2g N320

the order i put them in above are decending relative to thier felt recoil (WSF being harshest since its a slow burning, n320 is softer last since its faster). n320 and clays are very close though and could be interchanged, especially since clays can be had for much less than VV powders. I think some of the negative aspects of clays is that its a bulky flake powder and may not meter well with some flakes getting sheared by the powder measure. Although i could say the same for n320 as its an extruded powder that i could sometimes *feel* getting crunched in my Hornady. Also, Clays isn't sold as a full pound if you buy the small jug since its so bulky.

Interesting. For me, WSF was softer shooting as it is slower... maybe it has to do with the gun, a 1911 government, and full size Glock 37 and Hk 45 and P30L.

Just goes to show you.... there are many great varieties.