Sign in to follow this  
MarkWVU02

Muzzle Brake

As I patiently await my tax return I've been researching a lot about building an AR. One question sort of came up and I need an answer. If you pin and weld a muzzle brake is it still possible to change handguards. I'm not talking two piece because I would think it would not matter since they are 2 piece but what about free float one piece handguards? Are there any other things pinning a muzzle brake prevents?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Depends.

There are some hand guard systems that require removal of the front sight base (FSB); to include if you want to add a low profile gas block for a longer rail. If your muzzle device is pinned, it makes it near impossible.

Some other systems require removal of the Delta ring (many actually). Again if the muzzle device is welded on, it makes it impossible (because of the above reason, whether we're talking about a default FSB or low profile gas block).

So, if you are looking to add something like the Daniel Defense rails that have a proprietary delta ring, then get the work done PRIOR to permanently attaching anything on the end.

With that said though, there are many good options that don't require dis-assembly-- and there are many that do require dis-assembly.

Uppers these days though come in a myriad of different styles-- whether its barrel length or type of hand guards (including long ones, competition, tactical, etc). Just do your homework as you are, and it should be apparent what you'll need to get done.

ETA: There are free float options that use the default delta ring assembly, and do not require removal of the FSB/gas block. On that short list (and off the top of my head), the Omega X series by Daniel Defense does just that.

I believe the confusion comes from whether or not you have a standard FSB, the triangle thing on the front. If you do then the pinned muzzle break will need to come off. If you have the low profile gas block then you should be able to get the free float rails over it. But be careful as there are many manufacturers and varying types of low pro gas blocks and free float rails. Best to set it up the way you want first time.

So if I get a standard front sight base and a pinned muzzle brake it would be easier to go with 2 piece handguards?

Yes, unless you need/want the barrel free-floated,

then

you float the barrel while it's being built

then

do the gas block/sight and muzzle after

clear as mud, right?