gunnarsport

New guy from Robbinsville (Mercer Co)!

Hi,

My name is Michael and I just joined 2 minutes ago! I live in Robbinsville, NJ, which is in Mercer Co, and I am BRAND NEW to the world of handguns!

I NEVER shot, but have always wanted to buy a revolver(and maybe pistol also) for great recreational fun and range shooting. I will be going to the

Robbinsville Twp Police station shortly for the paperwork to start the process. I have a spotless record so I am hoping to have permit in 6-8 weeks.

I would LOVE advice on where in my area I can start to learn to shot, I have been watching dozens of You Tube videos about gun safety and proper handling procedures, and than MANY reviews for some revolvers I may be interested as my first handgun purchase.

I want to learn all I can here and hopefully meet up for great folks to help me in this new hobby.

I am a VERY fit, healthy 48 year old guy and an avid cyclist.

Thanks, and I an excited to start the process.

Micheal

Hi,

I would LOVE advice on where in my area I can start to learn to shot, I have been watching dozens of You Tube videos about gun safety and proper handling procedures, and than MANY reviews for some revolvers I may be interested as my first handgun purchase.

I want to learn all I can here and hopefully meet up for great folks to help me in this new hobby.

Thanks, and I an excited to start the process.

Micheal

Welcome New Guy to the forum! This is the place for all the info you can absorb. The permitting process can be a longer ordeal than you expect. You can use the time to learn all you can and check out the beginner NRA courses offered by local firms that are represented here in the forums.

Thank you!

While I am waiting for my permit, do gun shops allow you look and feel and touch to get an idea of how the gun feels in my hands, or do I need to

have permit in hand for this step? I just wanna be certain I follow the proper protocol and etiquette!

Thanks again!

Thank you!

While I am waiting for my permit, do gun shops allow you look and feel and touch to get an idea of how the gun feels in my hands, or do I need to

have permit in hand for this step? I just wanna be certain I follow the proper protocol and etiquette!

Thanks again!

There's a quick primer on selecting and purchasing your first handgun here:

Selecting and Purchasing Your First Handgun

While you're waiting for your paperwork, get in on some of regular range meetups. You'll have a lot of guns to test and select from.

Shore Shot in Lakewood, about 40 minutes from you, is a good place to start. There are plenty of guns to handle and rent. I'd steer clear of Brick Armory which is a neighboring range.

When you're ready to purchase I'm sure plenty of the guys would recommend TJ Arms from the forums.

Welcome, Michael! the permit/FID process differs from town to town. Mine were all ready in 4 weeks. There's a thread somewhere (can't find it now) where people put in the specifics about their town. You're doing well by watching YouTube videos to start. I think Shore Shot is relatively close to you and you can rent guns there to try out, or like Ken said, show up to one of the NJGF range meets and people will gladly let you fondle/try their guns. and lastly, I used to work in Robbinsville (McMaster-Carr) - nice area.

Welcome Michael!

Could I trouble you to scan and send me a copy of any reference forms, or other added forms, other than the STS-033 (application), 066 (mental health check), 212A (non-criminal background check - although since this is your first time, you'll be fingerprinted rather than use this). I'll send you a PM with my e-mail. There are threads on here about this data collection effort. It's legitimate and may ultimately benefit all of us. Thanks for whatever you can do.

Good suggestion to go to the meet-ups at Sure Shot, you will have the opportunity to fondle and shoot lots of different guns. Most dealers here in NJ (esp the two closest to you - Cheyenne Mtn and Sportsman's Center) usually won't let you handle a gun without an FPID - not the law, just their policy.

I used to cycle too.....25 years ago, now I'm a fat balding old fart - but I can shoot. Did the 5-boro tour in NYC a couple years.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<---hence the fat

Thanks Pizza Bob,

Please understand I am a COMPLETE newcomer to guns, so I really have no idea about the forms you are asking for! I have not yet been to The Robbinsville

Twp Police for the paperwork, so perhaps I will be more knowledgeable to what you are asking for once I visit the police for the paperwork.

I have cycled all over NJ and PA and will be doing the 5 boro tour this May! I also enjoy seeking out new rail-trails to bike on in NJ and PA.

Thanks

Hi, Welcome.

You definitely need to handle and shoot a variety of handguns before you settle on what you may like. Shore Shot is a good place to start for sure.

Come to a NJGF gathering and people will be shoving guns in your hands.

Take a look at the Events & Meetups forum. The regular scheduled meetups are pinned to the top of the board. Don't feel odd about joining in. We were all new once, and the group welcomes new members of the shooting community. Plenty of the guys here are qualified to show you the basics. All you need is patience and the willingness to learn.

Nick, you are a tad wrong.

Many shops will let you go browse and look without FID. Some will not want to waste time until you do... however there is nothing illegal about going to handle firearms.

Both ShoreShot and Brick Armory rent firearms. You do not need an FID. You can also try Ready Aim Fire in Bristol, PA?

Check out the events section, someone usually goes to shoot somewhere. Stop by, say hello.

Check out the member map, plenty of folks in the area, may want to make friends. =) :takeexample:

I also enjoy seeking out new rail-trails to bike on in NJ and PA

The 5-boro tour is a blast - if it's still as big as it was "back in the day". 17K bikes - took an hour and a half to pass any given point. Have fun.

Some nice easy single track, along the canal on the PA side of the river. For us softies, the NJ is better groomed and is more like a road than single-track.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Except when mandated by store policy.. which is pretty much any store in NJ now, unfortunately.

Not at all. Dont know what stores you go into.

If someone comes in who obviously does not look like they would qualify, they would give them the shoulder... but I can personally guarantee, anyone walking into ShoreShot/BA, if they act professionally, will have no issues talking, seeing the guns. Same for Cheyenne and Sportsmens Center.

If you look like a 16 year old kid who wants a Desert Eagle because it is in Counter Strike, or A glock 45 cause it is on a rap video.... they will tell you to pound sand.

In the years I have been shooting, I was only asked for my FID once, to look at a gun, at Dicks. And no, these people did not know me as Maks from NJGF.