gunnarsport

How often you go to range?

You should try out Hang Gliding, I thought it was going to be the cheepest form of aviation. On the good side it is the cheapest, but I'm still well over 20 grand into it over the last close to 20 years. Wow I never looked at it like that, a grand a year, heck that's not bad. :icon_e_biggrin:

Harry

Where do you go Hang Gliding in the NJ area?

I went 5 years ago in Brazil...

As far as shooting.

typically once a week, not including matches which are 3 times monthly.

Where do you go Hang Gliding in the NJ area?

I went 5 years ago in Brazil...

As far as shooting.

typically once a week, not including matches which are 3 times monthly.

Looks like the ramp launch in Rio, nice landing area, little rocks to the right on down wind and circle back with them on your left. with a nice final onto the beach. Some nice houses in the hills also.

As far as flying in NJ I have been over NJ in my hang glider but never launched from NJ. My home site for flying is up in Ellenville NY but have flown a lot of places in the NE area from out in North Truro in Cape Cod to VT, NH, NY, NJ and PA to name a few states. To towing up behind ultralights in FL to the great coastal beach flying out in Norther and Southern Kali.

If you ever had an interest or anyone here did let me know, I can post the name to one of the best learning places in the area.

Harry

First off, I don't do any hang gliding. I've been going to the range about once a week or so for the last several weeks. I purchased a HG for HD, and did a training session with an instructor when I first got it; but then it sat in my nightstand for almost a year without being fired. When I finally got around to taking a trip over to the Bullet Hole, I found that I really enjoy target shooting. It kind of reminds me of how I started running (many years ago) to get in shape, and then quickly discovered that I loved running and competing at it. Can't say I plan to be enter shooting competitions anytime soon, but given my nature, I wouldn't rule it out.

A number of posters have mentioned the expense of this pastime. While it can be considerable, it seems to me that it's a lot less than golf, which was my other passion for many years. A decent handgun costs about the same as a new, high-tech driver. The cost of ammo is roughly comparable to the price of good golf balls. The cost to use a range for an hour is a lot less than the cost of greens fees, and a private range membership of around $200 is A LOT less than dues at a golf club.

If you own guns, you should be competent with your guns, that means practice.

I'm lucky. I have close family with a range on their property in NJ. So I get to shoot twice a month for free. I shoot a lot of .22 through my Browning Buckmark and 1947 Remington 521t (24 inch barrel with Lyman sights). .22's are so cheap, I love'em. I shoot less 9mm through my Marlin Camp 9 and Taurus 9mm. My .357 Taurus Titanium 617 gets out every other month. I shoot my Garand about twice a year, about 40 rounds each time. I bought almost 1200 rounds when I got it, paid about .44 cents a round with shipping. I like to go to shore shot 3 or 4 times a year, so I haven't sprung for the membership yet. Dry fire practice is worth the time. I try to shoot as much as I can.