Sign in to follow this  
Celraysoda

How to grade an M1?

Long story short, I traded an item for a SA M1 from the Garand Guy a few years ago. I know that there are many different grades and I am unsure on which grade I have. What should I be looking for? Here are some pics below just to get an idea but I am sure there will be further inspection besides a few pics.

-Thanks for any help you can offer.

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

Replacement stock and new barrel? would be a special, or a mixer depending on barrel gauge. CMP price is 895. All correct with USGI matching parts and stock is 1100.

Looks like a really nice service grade with a replacement walnut stock. But its hard to grade anything without any info on the barrel, op-rod, trigger group, rear sight, bolt or stock. Could be a mixmaster. That is a beautiful stock by the way, very nice tiger striping.

Not sure what you're asking here. As you said, it's from the Garand Guy, so it wouldn't match up to any CMP grade but the specials, because he usually puts on new barrels. Are you asking which Garand Guy grade? Probably easiest to just call him and ask. Between the issue grade and Super Colossal Stupendous Premium Grade, I get confused.

BTW, that's an absolutely incredible-looking rifle, Sir! (And being from the Garand Guy I'll bet it shoots even better than it looks).

The most important thing is the barrel TE. Without a gauge it's impossible to tell. Never buy an M1 with a TE of lower then 6.

HUH? You want a low Throat Erosion. Most freshly chambered barrels are about 1-1.5 TE, and average CMP service grade is 1.5-2. Just like the muzzle wear, the lower the number the better. My personal cut off is a throat erosion of more than 3. Anything higher than a 3 is an automatic no for me.

Long story short, I traded an item for a SA M1 from the Garand Guy a few years ago. I know that there are many different grades and I am unsure on which grade I have. What should I be looking for? Here are some pics below just to get an idea but I am sure there will be further inspection besides a few pics.

The guns from Tony are not really applicable to the CMP scale, as other people had mentioned. He uses new barrels and stocks, but with all other original GI parts as much as possible. He has several grades of his own. He calls them "Premium Grade Shooter" so they're not for collecting, but setup to be shooting. He does sometimes also sell collectible versions, which you could grade on the CMP scale.

The bottom of his sales page has an explanation: Garand Guy

So, rebuilt rifles like these don't really fit on the CMP scale. That said, he produces nice rifles...

The most important thing is the barrel TE. Without a gauge it's impossible to tell. Never buy an M1 with a TE of lower then 6.

Most of the rifles Tony sells all have new barrels, so you don't need to worry about TE. He does have some with used barrels, but he includes the TE number in the description.