SJ Shooter

New Range Opening Sept. Tuckerton 539 & GSP Exit 58

Took a ride today up to Tips Hardware on my way to the Walmart in Manahawkin. Tips is building a new range at exit 58 and the GSP opening Sept. They are offering a pre construction deal of half off a 10 year membership...Looks like a good deal to me if thats in your area.

http://www.shootersnj.com/

$1250 for 10 years (firearm membership) is a pretty good deal for a nice indoor range, that's if you can spare the cash, and plan on being in the area for that long, but I think it'll be a hard sell.

The website state: "Preconstruction 10 Year Memberships are available at 50% off the regular price. This preconstruction offer is good until framing starts on the building and then it will expire. All membership fees collected will be held in an escrow account at Ocean First Bank and will remain there until a building permit is issued."

Seems to me they're looking for construction capital, which is not a bad idea. I wish them luck, always room for another range.

Just some info I gathered.

(Disclaimer): I have no skin in this game.

Tom has started accepting memberships. They are $1250.00 for ten years and it is a "family" plan. This means that spouse and kids under 18 (with adult member) have access also. This is an indoor range - 15 lanes 25 yards. There will be a large store and archery range (additional cost)

I'd rather just pay the 150 bucks a year, 1250 bucks is a new Springfield Armory TRP or Smith 1911.

After the framing begins the cost of a yearly membership goes up to $250.00/year

+1. Who knows if the building permits even get approved.

All permits were approved, Tom did not start accepting preconstruction memberships until after the approvals went through. Framing is expected to start next month (April). Completion is expected late summer early fall.

Even if they open, they could go out of business in a year. You won't be getting your money back. Ten year commitment for a place that isn't even built yet? I'd be hesitant to pay one year in advance for a ten year memebership, even after looking into it.

What if they are a$$holes? What if they change the rules? Why are they offering this "deal?" Sounds like they need money now. Not a good sign when starting a business.

• Like 1

What if they are a$$holes? What if they change the rules? Why are they offering this "deal?" Sounds like they need money now. Not a good sign when starting a business.

I agree about the posibility of needing the money.

Hard to think it would be for planning future traffic through the store, I figre the rate of shooter through a Store/Range is probably closer to 1 per week for every 20-25 members.

Harry

10 years is too long of a commitment for me, especially when it is not even built yet and I haven't met any of the staff or owners. +1 to Mipafox, there could be numerous issues that could come up in months or even just a couple years and then your stuck losing all that money.

I dunno why they are JUST doing 10yr memberships...weird. They should be doing yearly memberships, I'm sure many more people would buy them over a 10yr.

Again, I have no skin in this.

After talking to Tom, he is offering these because the bank that he is using would like to see some interest in the range. As a small business owner, when going to the bank, they would like a feel for the viability of the idea. If there is a lot of interest, the bank would be more likely to feel more confident in approving a small business loan.

Of course there is no guarantee that it will be open in a year but we are talking about an area where firearms and archery is very common.

Again, I have no skin in this.

After talking to Tom, he is offering these because the bank that he is using would like to see some interest in the range. As a small business owner, when going to the bank, they would like a feel for the viability of the idea. If there is a lot of interest, the bank would be more likely to feel more confident in approving a small business loan.

Of course there is no guarantee that it will be open in a year but we are talking about an area where firearms and archery is very common.

I too have spoken with Tom and i believe his range will be very successful. I am looking to actually bid the site work for him . It could not be in a better location for that area.

As far as the banks... they want equity, not interest. a business plan is great, but when you, as the owner have your own cash in the game, that is when people start listening. Selling memberships is looking like a cheap attempt at bridge financing. Get folks to prepay, use that money as your equity to get the rest of the loans. If I am prepaying for a 10 year memberships, I want to see the books of the business, and equity in the business. (even as minor as it would be. )

Sounds like a good price.The owner is established so the risk is diminished. Sounds like he is trying to recoup some of the cash he laid out.Another good move. I tend to look at it as a good deal because prices are sure to rise in the next ten years as well.

The website has a picture of the range concept: http://www.shootersnj.net/

Price on the website is $1250 for 10 years before they open, $2500 for 10 years after they open. Well, it says "before framing begins" in one paragraph and "before opening" in another paragraph.

If you want archery too, it's $1800 / $3600, which is the crazy thing to me. $550/$1100 to add archery to your range membership??

I was at Tip's over the weekend and they are hoping to break ground in the next few weeks. Once they do that, they say it'll be 6 mons of construction time before they open. Hoping to have it done before Christmas.

I thought for places like this and guns to sell 10 or lifetime memberships they ha to have a bind or some sort of financial backup on case something goes wrong and they never open if he is going to pull the money out of escrow as soon as he breaks ground I would be leery. I coup be talking out my a** though just remember a pool hall that was trying to sell membership and thougt they got into trouble for something like not havin the proper bond or insurance but this was a while ago. I guess 1250 is a good price unless the place goes under in 2 years . Maybe someone that knows the laws would know better am could let us know if this is true I am sure it would put people's kin at ease

Rode down 539 this weekend to visit my girlfriend. The place is right off the exit which seems nice. However, it doesn't appear ANYTHING has been done to the property yet. Hell an old house is still standing. Looks like a lot of work to have an opening by Christmas.

I checked it out abt 3 months ago and it was the same way.... an old house and no sign of anything being done. I did email them with some questions on it and the main problem I have is they will not allow you to bring any of your own ammo in to shoot. They told me all ammo used at the range must be purchased there. When pressed on the issue as I like to have some freedom in where I buy my ammo, I was told it was due to Insurance purposes and no exceptions. It could make a trip to the range really expensive.....

I checked it out abt 3 months ago and it was the same way.... an old house and no sign of anything being done. I did email them with some questions on it and the main problem I have is they will not allow you to bring any of your own ammo in to shoot. They told me all ammo used at the range must be purchased there. When pressed on the issue as I like to have some freedom in where I buy my ammo, I was told it was due to Insurance purposes and no exceptions. It could make a trip to the range really expensive.....

I can see if you are renting the gun from them but if I am bringing my own gun they can kiss my butt if they think they are going to force me to buy there ammo. Just my opinion but i think this is another sign they are underfunded