MrP

Harrased by a hippie.

So yesterday, while I was buying lunch in between my classes a middle-aged woman standing behind me, interrupted a conversation I was having with a friend. This is what happened, verbatim.

Hippie: That's a very controversial shirt you're wearing. (I was wearing my Peace Through Superior Firepower shirt)

Me: Can't argue with that. (polite smile, continues conversation with friend)

H: Yeah I'm just one of those old-school hippies who would be happy if all the guns in the world disappeared.

M: I gotcha, I know lots of people who feel similarly (polite smile)

H: Really, that's disgusting and appalling.

M: Agree to disagree right? (polite smile, getting irritated)

H: Yeah that's just my opinion, just how I feel. Can't believe people think they're a good thing.

M: Do you have any experience with them?

H: With what?

M: Firearms?

H: *eyes increase to 3x normal size* wwWWHATT?! Why in the hell would I ever want to be near a gun!

M: Well, you might enjoy it.

H: WHAT THE fugg!? How dare you! I would never blah blah *something intelligible to herself* Have you ever seen American Beauty?! I learned everything I needed to know about guns from American Beauty!

M: Wait what? What are you talking about

H: Blah blah just like the nuclear blah blah in japan blah blah

M: WHAT? I'm sorry but you're clearly very confused

H: *lots of swearing and unintelligible mumbo-jumbo* GO SEE AMERICAN BEAUTY AND THEN COME TALK TO ME!

M: I HAVE seen American Beauty, what in the world are you talking about?

H: GO SEE AMERICAN BEAUTY AND THEN COME TALK TO ME!

M: Ok, this is a lost cause. (like I didn't know that from the start)

H: *More swearing, something about guns and dying*

M: You know, for someone who claims to be from a generation of self-proclaimed free thinking and open-minded individuals, you're really quite ignorant and bitter don't you think?

H: GO SEE AMERICAN BEAUTY AND THEN COME TALK TO ME!

M: Come sit down with me and lets talk about acceptance and understanding (this drives her through the roof)

H: You motherf*****(&@#@!#@!(*&*#@!(*&)_)!@*&!@##!!!!!!1111111oneoneone!!!11

M: Drop bombs not acid!

H: *somewhat explodes mentally/verbally*

I walk away and since she has backed up the line to pay for food, the 12-15 people behind us clap as I exit.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

I see her in the hallway today, and she says "Ha! Glad you listened to some reason and got rid of that shirt you little punk!"

I reply with: "Well not being a hippie I'm obligated to change my clothing and shower regularly, give it a try!"

This was really quite entertaining, and certainly made a long two-days much more enjoyable.

• Like 11

So I assume that if Kevin Spacey had hung himself instead of shooting himself at the end of Amerian Beauty she'd want to outlaw rope? :banghead:

Actually, a crazy neighbor shot him.

I got soo much out of that movie. NONE of it involving firearms in any way. Go figure!

• Like 1

American beauty is a story about breaking free from societal views and the struggle of right and wrong. The gun in the movie was a symbol of American ignorance, plenty of that to go around. I guess this hippie decided to skip literature class.

American beauty is a story about breaking free from societal views and the struggle of right and wrong. The gun in the movie was a symbol of American ignorance, plenty of that to go around. I guess this hippie decided to skip literature class.

I thought the father was tired of whacking his bag in the shower and was preying on his daughters underage friend. :icon_e_confused:

Actually the gun part had to do the the neighbor's dad, who was a career military guy and a repressed homosexual....He thinks he sees Kevin Spacey and his son having sex, and when he tries to have sex with Kevin Spacey as well, who isnt gay and rejects him, the father pulls out a gun and kills him....He could have just as easily killed him with a tire iron or baseball bat , being that they were in the garage. Its noit about the problem of gun violence at all, but as has been stated, but Social Norms and repression of people's true identity.

I thought the father was tired of whacking his bag in the shower and was preying on his daughters underage friend. :icon_e_confused:

There is a also a great scene were Annette Benning and her boss go shooting at a range and then have sex with the shooting acting as an aphrodisiac. The shooting frees Annette from some inhibitions...

Now, American Psycho. That is a different plot all together.

I guess the "old hippie" isn't into sex either... because you know... guns make you want it... and then sex makes you want to go shooting more... and it becomes an endless cycle of shooting and effing... :icon_lol:

I used work with an old hippie. She was a nice lady; lives in Lambertville. About 65 and I bet she still smokes. I could totally see her saying having this conversation with you.

I think almost everyone can agree that this is proper sentiment: H: Yeah I'm just one of those old-school hippies who would be happy if there was no need in the world for guns. That every one and every nation could live in peace and harmony. World peace, and end to crime and violence. Yeah, man. That wold be cool.

Peace through superior firepower is the world we live in. Since it is a fact and it's noble to try and change it, the fact is that it's not going to change. Mankind is just not ready. Balance of power and all that mutual assured destruction and annihilation stuff. Guns don't make wars. There were plenty of wars before guns were invented.

This was at the RV cafeteria? Next time I'm there I'll make sure to wear my "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency" and fish for her

:icon_twisted:

Yeah it was, I only wish I had a MORE offensive shirt to wear!

Good job dude.....kept your cool yet got your point across much better than she did.

I overheard two girls that I work with talking, the only thing I caught was something along the lines of "...just listen to how scary that sounds, 'rifle'..." Yes....because the rifle is just going to :girlwerewolf: turn into a werewolf and start shooting massive amounts of people :icon_rolleyes:

Good job dude.....kept your cool yet got your point across much better than she did.

I overheard two girls that I work with talking, the only thing I caught was something along the lines of "...just listen to how scary that sounds, 'rifle'..." Yes....because the rifle is just going to :girlwerewolf: turn into a werewolf and start shooting massive amounts of people :icon_rolleyes:

Being you work with them and have to look at how comments and dialog along these lines would be viewed by HR, these are the exact people I like to chat with at times, just to see if i can educate them. I just posted in another thread about the same thing. I have been able to charge a some peoples views. It's not always that they are Anti-Guns, it that they just have a bad view of them with how the media portrays them as the gun committing the crime, It's ignorance and with knowledge some people can learn.

believe it or not, there have been a few people that thought all of us gun owners were so much in support for our gun rights that we didn't care about what criminals did with them. I know my self crimes (real crimes) with guns should carry a stiffer penalty. Some people were shocked thinking we supported them. Crazy, but if you find out why they think the way they do, it gives you a great plan on how to address the conversation and what areas to cover.

Try it if you like, and see if you get any results. I had one person who later became very active in the sport, hunting no less.

Harry