jcerillo70

I found something reding through the FL CCW books.

YOUR FLORIDA CONCEALED WEAPON OR FIREARM LICENSE IS CURRENTLY VALID IN THE FOLLOWING 35 STATES:

Lets use PA because i only go there & FL

The exemptions say Pa is 1 & 6 , so here is 1 & 6

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

< ok makes sense>

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non- resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

<Here's where i get foggy...

So i take it as, you can't carry in Pa with an FL CCW because you can get a PA CCW so it does not reciprocate???

> Can anyone clear this up for me?

No, PA non residents are not allowed to carry any concealed weapon in the state of Florida. Why? Because they are not PA residents, and are not under the laws and regulations which determines the reciprocity of the permits in question. So as long as you're a PA resident, or hold a FL ccp, you are allowed to carry in PA and FL, but not if you have a PA ccp while living in Florida.

Yes. Conditions 1 & 6 are for non PA residents with a PA concealed carry permit in the state of Florida. Or at least thats how I understand it how you wrote it out in the OP.

We'll take condition 1 on first.

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

So, as a Florida non resident carrying in Pa where your Florida concealed carry permit is accepted you can carry a pistol, and only a pistol. No stun guns, knives, pepper spray or billy clubs.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non- resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

Number 6 however is a little...hinky? As I interpret it Pa non residents are the only ones barred from carrying in Florida if you have a Pa permit.

Example:

Dave got his Pa CCP today, but is a NJ resident. Dave goes to Florida with his new permit and pistol. Dave gets mugged in Jacksonville after vising with friends at a restraunt. Dave draws and fires his weapon (legal under Florida's Stand your Ground provision) and stops his attacker. Police investigation sees he is a NON Pa resident with a concealed weapon in Florida. He gets arrested for murder because of provision 6.

But that is how I understand it. It may be wise to seek advice from a attorney regarding this scenario.

Then Dave by Pa laws and regulations regarding out of state carrying of a concealed weapon he is allowed to only carry a pistol. No knives, stung guns, pepper spray or billy clubs. But again this is only my understanding of your question. It may be wise to ask someone with intimate knowledge of both laws in both states.

Its weird, but its something that is really important in Fl but I don't get why PA non residents are barred from carrying if FL non residents can but only with a pistol. I lived in FL for a year and I know the gun laws, and laws for cc, but not PA. It is by far (next to Utah) the most gun friendly state in the Union.

Glad I could help.

Yea basically what mgralley said. It is my understanding that Florida only accepts Florida non-resident permits. So PA, VA, UT, AZ etc. non-resident CCWs are not honored in FL. Now that does not automatically mean the reverse is true. FL non-resident CCW is honored in PA.

I believe these exceptions where put into place to prevent a FL resident from getting an out of state non-resident and using it in FL. The same thing Utah is trying to do now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Police investigation sees he is a NON Pa resident with a concealed weapon in Florida. He gets arrested for murder because of provision 6.

Highly unlikely. He may get arrested for weapons possession violations but he has complied with FL's stand your ground law, (and reading into it) was in fear of his life, and therefore will not be charged with murder.

You're thinking too much like an NJ resident. ;)

The new Florida CCW id's don't say Non-Resident anymore, I thought I read somewhere that Florida sees their CCW as a "Florida CCW" whether you are a resident or not, as there is no non resident CCW, simply a Florida CCW?

The new Florida CCW id's don't say Non-Resident anymore, I thought I read somewhere that Florida sees their CCW as a "Florida CCW" whether you are a resident or not, as there is no non resident CCW, simply a Florida CCW?

Yes the new card doesn't say out of state resident, it's just a FL CCW. The new ones don't have your address on them either so there is no way to tell by looking at the FL CCW License alone. However you are bound by the rules of the other states and their acknowledgment of the FL license. If they don't except a NON FL resident and you are caught carriing in said state, well I wouldn't want to be that person.

Regardless if it states (Non-resident/Resident) on it or not, it all comes down to what would be recognized in court.

Harry

So i can carry in Pa with a "Florida out of state ccw"

yes we all do

it says resident, nothing else, and no home address

Yea basically what mgralley said. It is my understanding that Florida only accepts Florida non-resident permits. So PA, VA, UT, AZ etc. non-resident CCWs are not honored in FL. Now that does not automatically mean the reverse is true. FL non-resident CCW is honored in PA.

I believe these exceptions where put into place to prevent a FL resident from getting an out of state non-resident and using it in FL. The same thing Utah is trying to do now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

YOu are correct. FL...along with CO, ME, MI, NH and SC...does not honor ANY non-resident permits. If you want to carry in one of those states you must have either that state's permit or your home state permit w/reciprocity.

Pretty much covered it. FL does not accept non-resident licenses except it's own. PA accepts non-resident licenses issued by any state it honors.

Only thing I will add is, concealed carry of knives, stun guns, and pepper spray is generally permitted in PA. With restrictions - you better look into it. And possibly with local laws that further restrict it. In Phily, for example, you can go to jail for carrying a knife. It's just that the PA LTCF has no relationship whatsover to anything other than firearms, defined for this purpose as handguns or rifles with barrel under 16" or shotguns with barrel under 18" or firearms with short overall length. Therefore, it also does not allow loaded carry of longuns in vehicles (except SBRs, SBSs, machineguns with short barrels, etc.) It has to be a relatively small firearm to be covered by LTCF, most of the time by barrel length.

this whole thread has me so confused. I have a NJ working carry permit which allowed me to obtain a pa non resident. I also have Virginia, Florida, and utah non residents. So because i have a PA non resident on top of my florida one does that bar me from carrying in florida? sorry i'm just a little confused

this whole thread has me so confused. I have a NJ working carry permit which allowed me to obtain a pa non resident. I also have Virginia, Florida, and utah non residents. So because i have a PA non resident on top of my florida one does that bar me from carrying in florida? sorry i'm just a little confused

LOL, no, you are fine in Florida with your Florida permit. The fact that you have a PA non-resident license has no bearing. They just wouldn't accept that license. Your Florida is still good.

LOL, no, you are fine in Florida with your Florida permit. Your Florida is still good.

WRONG

as taken directly from floridas ccw website:

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.

WRONG

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.

You misread something. The guy was asking if he could use his Florida permit in Florida even though he has a PA permit. Florida may not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states but I'll bet they recognize one from their OWN state. heh.

WRONG

The dude has a Florida permit. He can carry in Florida. His PA non-resident LTCF has no bearing on that question. You are going to further confuse this guy.

YES, you can carry in Flordia on a Florida permit. Regardless of what other permits or licenses you may have.

I live in NJ i currently have non-res permits for Florida,utah and Virginia , I emailed the Sherrif in PA and was told i can legally carry in PA with my

Fl non res permit. I also can legally carry in Fl with my non res Fl permit.At this time i can legally carry in 38 states with the permits i hold.

YOU CANNOT CARRY IN FL WITH ANYTHING OTHER THEN A FL CCW PERMIT.THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE OTHER STATES NON RES PERMITS. NUFF SAID.