Harry,

What's the furthest you've tried shooting with the tech sights? I haven't had a chance to shoot mine at longer distances yet... and not sure that they will be much use for shooting at long range (100yrd ore more). What's your experience with them?

Well don't go by my opinion, Tech sites in the right hands would do a lot better than mine, but I have had some nice groups at 50YDS, on the 10" target at 100 a little scattered but all on target. But like I said, put my gun with tech sites in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot and I'd bet they would have no problems at 100YDS or more.

I will say my 39A with scope is very good but my daughter and now my wife (as of yesterday) likes the weight of the 795 over the 39A but had fun shooting both.

Harry

Just thought I'd chime in since I have Tech Sights on one of my SKS's. I took my cousin to R14 on Saturday, which was his first time ever shooting anything bigger than a .22lr, and had him hitting a 10" steel plate @ 200yds about 50% of the time. Tech sights rule.

Nice job jOn, I learned on rifles with scopes back in the early 70's and have been out of shooting for way too many years. Just got back into it this past winter and I wanted to just play with iron sites and also teach my daughter and wife on irons first. I think it's a better way to learn and they are doing well, even if they didn't do well, they are learning the proper way to handle and respect firearms but it's a proud day that I have brought my 11YO into the community and my wife and they both enjoy it very much, so 2 more shooters in NJ added to the list, 1 with FID the other waiting till she is old enough. :)

Harry

• Like 1

Nice job jOn, I learned on rifles with scopes back in the early 70's and have been out of shooting for way too many years. Just got back into it this past winter and I wanted to just play with iron sites and also teach my daughter and wife on irons first. I think it's a better way to learn and they are doing well, even if they didn't do well, they are learning the proper way to handle and respect firearms but it's a proud day that I have brought my 11YO into the community and my wife and they both enjoy it very much, so 2 more shooters in NJ added to the list, 1 with FID the other waiting till she is old enough. :)

Harry

Good deal Harry! The more shooters we have in this state, the better it is for all of us. My cousin will be applying for his FID as soon as I take his wife to the range and show her that guns are not scary.

Harry,

What's the furthest you've tried shooting with the tech sights? I haven't had a chance to shoot mine at longer distances yet... and not sure that they will be much use for shooting at long range (100yrd ore more). What's your experience with them?

I can ring a plate about 6" wide by 10" tall offhand with tech sights at 100 yards like its my job! (10/22) I have the flip up tech sights, so I have a 25 yard zero and then I just flip it back and its a ~100 yard zero. The sights are more capable then the rifle, people use this style of sights to shoot 600 yards regularly

Good deal Harry! The more shooters we have in this state, the better it is for all of us. My cousin will be applying for his FID as soon as I take his wife to the range and show her that guns are not scary.

Yea, it was a fun day, would have liked to be off work and been able to shoot the USPSA match but can't complain that the OL and I had a fun time shooting. She shot her Ruger MKIII Hunter for the first time, My Walther P22, the Marlin 795 and 39A, and a few shots with my Glock 19 and CZ 75-TS in 40 Cal, not a bad 1st day, fun had fun, shot well, didn't argue listened and remembered all the safety rules.

We also took a ride over at the tail end of the USPSA match so I could show her what that all about, she liked it and would come when I shoot but at this time would rather just shoot at the range but isn't opposed to maybe trying it one day. Now my daughter thats another story, she want to shoot the matches as soon as she is ready, think I will have to take a look at the OBRAMS rimfire matches, think that would be a good place for her to lean in a few years when she is old enough (reminds me, have to find out what the age limit is for then)

Here is the kicker, I like my wifes Ruger better than my Walther. :)

Harry

Yea, it was a fun day, would have liked to be off work and been able to shoot the USPSA match but can't complain that the OL and I had a fun time shooting. She shot her Ruger MKIII Hunter for the first time, My Walther P22, the Marlin 795 and 39A, and a few shots with my Glock 19 and CZ 75-TS in 40 Cal, not a bad 1st day, fun had fun, shot well, didn't argue listened and remembered all the safety rules.

We also took a ride over at the tail end of the USPSA match so I could show her what that all about, she liked it and would come when I shoot but at this time would rather just shoot at the range but isn't opposed to maybe trying it one day. Now my daughter thats another story, she want to shoot the matches as soon as she is ready, think I will have to take a look at the OBRAMS rimfire matches, think that would be a good place for her to lean in a few years when she is old enough (reminds me, have to find out what the age limit is for then)

Here is the kicker, I like my wifes Ruger better than my Walther. :)

Harry

Good to hear. I recommend starting your daughter/OL out on static steel in the rimfire rifle or pistol class. CJRPC puts on a great steel match; super informal, lots of fun, and great for newcomers to competition shooting.

Good to hear. I recommend starting your daughter/OL out on static steel in the rimfire rifle or pistol class. CJRPC puts on a great steel match; super informal, lots of fun, and great for newcomers to competition shooting.

Fantastic, I'll have to check them out, thanks for the info.

Harry

hey guys sorry for rehashing an old thread but has anyone done any work on the bolt or mag well? i am thinking about taking some of the pitting off of the bolt cause it drives me crazy every time i clean it. i was also thisking about trying to make the mags drop free by sanding the mag well down a little bit. Also do you guys think i could get away with duracoating the bolt after i take the pitting off? idk if its worth it or even possible but i thought i would throw it up here before contacting a gun smith

hey guys sorry for rehashing an old thread but has anyone done any work on the bolt or mag well? i am thinking about taking some of the pitting off of the bolt cause it drives me crazy every time i clean it. i was also thisking about trying to make the mags drop free by sanding the mag well down a little bit. Also do you guys think i could get away with duracoating the bolt after i take the pitting off? idk if its worth it or even possible but i thought i would throw it up here before contacting a gun smith

Don't know if it's worth it but you might see how much a second bolt would be and try working on 1 and have the other as a backup in case it doesn't work out as planned.

Also not sure how think Duracote is but you may have to factor that in for clearance.

Being I have a few of these I's be interested in see what results you come up with so I say go for it... :icon_mrgreen:

Remember people Marlin is offering a rebate till the end of the year so time is running out, and with some of the sales that are out there right now you can have this rile for under a hundred bucks, I'd get another but I already have 2 can't see buying another just to get an extra mag. :icon_mrgreen:

I'll be getting one before the rebate expires in the next few weeks or so. Almost got the Mberg 702 plinker on sale on a whim but after seeing it get trashed too much, no way. Just waiting to see if the 795 goes on sale soon.

Is the 795 a model 60 with a detachable magazine instead of a tubular magazine?

I was looking at both of them on the Marlin web site and both look like good quality, inexpensive plinkers.

Would the box magazine be preferable in this type of gun?

The reason I ask is that I have a 50's era Winchester model 77 with box magazine and I was told that the model 77 with tubular magazine was worth more and is more sought after by collectors.

I would imagine that the removable magazine is preferable because you can have several pre-loaded clips rather than having to reload the tubular mag.

The Ruger 10/22 looks nice too. While I am going to use the old Winchester, I want to buy a new plinker so I don't wear out my dad's old favorite. (I also read that the 77 wasn't one of Winchester's brightest ideas, hence the limited production)

The 795 is the same action as the 60 just magazine fed. IMO the 795 is better than the 10/22 for the price, trigger, and accuracy right outta the box. I have never owned a 10/22 but have shot a couple. I own a 795 and I love it!!

I think CDNN occasionally has them on sale.

Wound up getting one off a forum sponsor after we exchanged PMs regarding a Ruger 10/22. Decided to go with the Marlin. After the purchase in complete (he has it in just need to get down there) I'll post a review of the gun and of the store

I bought my son a 795 a few weeks back. He really likes it...I love it. I'm looking for an inexpensive scope for it.

Bersa sweet .22

CHeap and it works. Have had mine on the 795 since Sept of last year. At least 1000 rounds no issue