ktm525xcatv

So much confusion with NJ laws

The more i read the more i'm getting discouraged by coming back to NJ.

So much stuff to know FID cards P2P getting what i have already compliant.

It's almost like going thru one of those mirrored fun houses.

The worst part is the fact that i'm most likely not going to be able to carry anywhich way anymore.

At this point i have 10 weeks of unemployment left. Construction in southern NV is basicly shut down completly.

California has some solar work started but no guaranty of a job there. Phoenix is a slight possibility.

I live full time in a fifth wheel that can be parked on my parents property. I can move back in with my 3 4 legged kids. My parents won't take my money for anything.

What to do...... :unsure::unsure::icon_cry:

I don't think that carrying should be at the top of your priority list man. Given the choice of either living in a house in NJ because I have a job, or living on the streets somewhere else because I'm unemployed.....finding a job should be at the TOP of your priority list.

I don't think that carrying should be at the top of your priority list man. Given the choice of either living in a house in NJ because I have a job, or living on the streets somewhere else because I'm unemployed.....finding a job should be at the TOP of your priority list.

I consider my life important, so yea it is kinda high on there.

It will cost at least $1,000-$1,500 in diesel to get home.

If california mans up the solar project i will have a job.

I can't be certain there will be one for me in Jersey, but i can stay with my parents and ride the recession out.

I got a feeling this is not the end of this recession.

Let's be realistic here, guys. Guns are not all there is to life.

Fun, yes. NJ gun laws suck, yes, but there's also a lot of good here.

For example, Nevada, Florida and Arizona are currently the three worst states in the USA for jobs/real estate. Sure, you can get your cowboy on in AZ and FL is the "gunshine state" but what good does a tricked out AR-15 do you when you can't afford dinner or get a job anywhere besides Wal Mart?

Once again, more to life than guns.

• Like 3

For example, Nevada, Florida and Arizona are currently the three worst states in the USA for jobs/real estate. Sure, you can get your cowboy on in AZ and FL is the "gunshine state" but what good does a tricked out AR-15 do you when you can't afford dinner or get a job anywhere besides Wal Mart?

You do have a valid point, not to mention some of the best food in the world is in our borders. If you can get a decent job in any gun-friendly state then what else can you ask for?

You do have a valid point, not to mention some of the best food in the world is in our borders. If you can get a decent job in any gun-friendly state then what else can you ask for?

Unfortunately, decent jobs are very, very hard to find in some of the gun friendly states. I have family in FL (Lee County) and currently over 30% of all buildings/houses in the county are vacant. There are literally no jobs besides minimum wage in stupid uniforms and much of the young people are either moving back up north or joining the military to escape. And don't get me started on the tax burden. Ever wonder why all their taxes are so cheap out in Red America? Fun fact - it's the reason the taxes are so high in blue America.

Sorry for the rant, I just really hate it when on gun boards people measure a state's quality of living purely upon what the gun laws are.

Please don't propose there is a correlation between the two.

Harry

I didn't think he did. I read it the same as Knight. Warm bed and no gun in NJ is better than no bed with gun in Nevada.

It's all a matter of priorities.

• Like 2

Please don't propose there is a correlation between the two.

Harry

What my post is saying, is that Pro-Gun laws do not make one place better than any other place. It gets very old being on the internet gun boards and hearing people from a place like FL say their state is so great cause they have a .380 on their hip, or people from NJ pretend their state is the seventh circle of hell because all they have is a cell phone on the hip. There's much more to quality of life than guns.

We in NJ should be very thankful that we have a high median income (second in the USA) and much better job opportunities than a very large portion of the country. I know I'm grateful we don't have 18% unemployment like open-carry Michigan and better unemployment insurance than full-auto Florida where you can be fired for just about anything with no sort of UI in most cases. I take solace in the fact that our state at least isn't trying to balance its budget by denying people organ transplants like permit-free Arizona. And while we may not have the nicest cities, at least they aren't upwards of 25-40% vacant like a lot of other urban areas in the USA are. That's cool that you can carry a gun while gambling in Nevada, but how many people there have the money to gamble now that their adjusted unemployment is upwards of 23% ? NJ may suck for gun collectors, but it's better than a vast number of places in almost every other facet of life.

All I'm saying is next time you're on Arfcom or wherever, and some guy living off of Federal aid money in Tennessee tells you that your home in NJ is a dump because you can only have 15 rounds in your magazine don't join in with him and berate your own home. Sure we need some work here in NJ, but we're no "dump" like many make it out to be.

And I apologize for ranting and this is not directed at anyone in specific :D

• Like 1

What my post is saying, is that Pro-Gun laws do not make one place better than any other place. It gets very old being on the internet gun boards and hearing people from a place like FL say their state is so great cause they have a .380 on their hip, or people from NJ pretend their state is the seventh circle of hell because all they have is a cell phone on the hip. There's much more to quality of life than guns.

We in NJ should be very thankful that we have a high median income (second in the USA) and much better job opportunities than a very large portion of the country. I know I'm grateful we don't have 18% unemployment like open-carry Michigan and better unemployment insurance than full-auto Florida where you can be fired for just about anything with no sort of UI in most cases. I take solace in the fact that our state at least isn't trying to balance its budget by denying people organ transplants like permit-free Arizona. And while we may not have the nicest cities, at least they aren't upwards of 25-40% vacant like a lot of other urban areas in the USA are. That's cool that you can carry a gun while gambling in Nevada, but how many people there have the money to gamble now that their adjusted unemployment is upwards of 23% ? NJ may suck for gun collectors, but it's better than a vast number of places in almost every other facet of life.

All I'm saying is next time you're on Arfcom or wherever, and some guy living off of Federal aid money in Tennessee tells you that your home in NJ is a dump because you can only have 15 rounds in your magazine don't join in with him and berate your own home. Sure we need some work here in NJ, but we're no "dump" like many make it out to be.

Is it or is it not because on unions?

Hopefully i'm not going to be cursed up and down for saying this.

I will admit i'm a member of a construction union. At the same time being against public employees being union. They have no competitiion from other contractors like the private sector does.

Same classification of worker in different states(not including benifits):

per hour

NJ $47

PA $28

AZ $26

NV $40

CA $34 ....San francisco and surrounding silicon valley $53

Still beans compared to what pro athletes, doctors, lawyers, POLITITIANS make.

I didn't think he did. I read it the same as Knight. Warm bed and no gun in NJ is better than no bed with gun in Nevada.

It's all a matter of priorities.

Finally someone came to their senses....

I'm with you on this. Have you looked for work in PA? Close to the parents but still "♫ Living in Amer-i-ca ♫"

What i mean is a total crash and breakdown of society just like what the middle east is going thru. Guns will be very important then.

Got it, you're a communist. It's not about guns, but about finding a state government with an overextended credit card to give you stuff they don't even have.

Want to know why I live in PA? I couldn't afford to live in NJ. Guns were the sweetener and being free was one of my eventual goals. Now that I've tasted freedom, I won't be back. Even if I could afford to live in NJ, I wouldn't. Or any place like it. That's changed.

Maybe if I figured out how to get some sort of NJ government money things would have been different. I guess I'm either too dumb or I just don't think that way. Probably a combination of both. But, anyway, it's no longer an option.

Is it or is it not because on unions?

Hopefully i'm not going to be cursed up and down for saying this.

I will admit i'm a member of a construction union. At the same time being against public employees being union. They have no competitiion from other contractors like the private sector does.

Same classification of worker in different states(not including benifits):

per hour

NJ $47

PA $28

AZ $26

NV $40

CA $34 ....San francisco and surrounding silicon valley $53

Still beans compared to what pro athletes, doctors, lawyers, POLITITIANS make.

NJ has money because of it's proximity to NYC (particularly North Jersey). NYC is the financial capital of the world and some of the executives that work there get paid more money in a yearly bonus than you or I will in our lifetime. A lot of these people live in or own homes in NJ. They will spend lots of money on things we cannot afford. A lot of industries feed off of or are satellites around what goes on in NYC.

As for unions, to give full disclosure, as a business owner I am not a big fan of them, but I can understand why as a worker you would want to be in one. Unions contribute only slightly to the reason we have a high median income, they are however a significant part of the reason we have really high taxes and everything costs so much here.

I couldn't have said this better myself. I'm here because I grew up here and this is where the money is at. If I thought I could maintain my standard of living in PA or NH or some other free state and not have to deal with too many bubbas, I would have left already. The bottom line is I can't make the kind of money I make here in the middle of the woods because the demographic just isn't there.

I need to figure out an internet business to run from anywhere. :morpheus:

• Like 1

It's nice to hear some common sense once in a while. People on these internet gun forums often do seem myopic sometimes. The inane gun laws in this state irritate me to noend, but am I going to leave a good job, friends and family to move to PA to take advantage of better gun laws? No. Fact is, NJ has some of the nicest areas in the country. Whether it's the shore, the affluent suburbs in North Jersey, or the more rural areas of the Northwest and South, it's generally a pretty nice state. Yes, we're taxed to death, but proximity to NY provides an awful lot of opportunity for anyone with a decent education. Plus, in the suburbs where I have lived for 10 years, I have not heard of a single burglary, let alone a home invasion or car jacking. Stay away from Newark, Patterson, Trenton and Camden, and the rest of the state is generally pretty safe. From what I've heard and read, you really can't say the same for many rural and small town areas in other more "gun friendly" states.

• Like 1

I would move to Nevada for the climate and the open space, the gun laws would be a bonus. I'm talking about Carson City area. I've got friends there and I love the place.

Chances are I'd take a 25% wage cut even if I could find a job, so that's not happening any time soon.

When I moved from Ohio my salary instantly doubled, and that was the STARTING wage, not the "been there 5 years" "top end" wage. Yes, I paid more for rent and car insurance. Yes food was a little bit more. The rest paid off all the debt I had accumulated over 10 years within 14 months AND I still had money for toys.

As much as I hate the gun laws in NJ, the state affords me a decent living. This is not to say I won't retire out west or down south. Assuming I live long enough to retire, I'd much rather not deal with the climate and taxes.

• Like 1

NJ has money because of it's proximity to NYC (particularly North Jersey). NYC is the financial capital of the world and some of the executives that work there get paid more money in a yearly bonus than you or I will in our lifetime. A lot of these people live in or own homes in NJ. They will spend lots of money on things we cannot afford. A lot of industries feed off of or are satellites around what goes on in NYC.

Exactly. That's another thing that always gets me. Typical red-staters on a gun board always act as if the high wages in blue states are part of some Soshlist-Muslim-ACORN-Union-COmmie Conspiracy but neglect the obvious, less theatrical explaination that the blue states instead have higher wages because they contain high-demand areas like Silicon Valley, NYC, etc.

In any event, I'm glad that many people here feel the way I do. It gets me all warm and fuzzy inside :D

With the final closure of Ft.Monmouth this September, there will be one less reason for me to stay in NJ. My job will move eventually, as of now, nothing in NJ has panned out as an alternative. I have put out feelers elsewhere in PA and SC, but nothing doing yet. Things are still tough all over, so it looks like a long commute from NJ to MD is in my future :(

Let's examine what NJ truly has to offer:

Property tax

Income tax

Sales tax

Extremely high housing costs

Congestion

Arrogant people (me too)

Good food (i don't eat out much though)

Jobs

Ya know what? - let me buy a house in some southern state for cash, pay $100 a month for property tax and I will be glad to push carts at Wal-Mart. Sure, I won't have high speed internet, but I also won't have a Starbucks on every corner.

Not to be a smartass, djg, but if NJ sucks so bad, and it's so easy to up and move, why are you still here?

Also, 45 states have sales tax and 43 have income tax, the 7 that don't have income tax being places where people don't have any income to tax anyway :lol:

You are, however, spot on with property taxes here being absurdly high. The housing costs are also high but that is because most of NJ is very valuable, highly desirable locations such as NY metro, Philly metro, and the shore.

Congestion is a factor, sure. But arrogant people? You get those anywhere.